DVDVR Message Board

Bellator 149: Shamrock vs. Gracie III (2/19/2016) - Houston, TX (Toyota Center)

Elsalvajeloco

Let's be clear. Everything else in the calendar year of 2016 is competing for second worst fight of the year.

Came here to post this exactly.

There's no way a fight will ever be as bad or worse than this. Seriously. People crap on Ronda's standup, but compare her standup to this fight and she's Giorgio Petrosyan.

That was embarrassingly bad.

I didn't watch the fight, but there were alot of shitty fights in early ufc days. . . 

Those fights ain't even in the same stratosphere. FWIW, I'm also including the DEEP Megaton GP where you had 400+ pound Japanese men in overalls fighting each other.

Goddamn. . . . .  I'm going to have to find a copy it now. . . .

So how does DEEP Megaton compare to RINGS Outsiders?

On par.

The UFC was going to sign Keinosuke Yoshinaga from THE OUTSIDER a couple of years ago, but backed out because of his tattoos. It would've been funny seeing them push his records on TV considering the majority of them are amateur/semi pro fights.

Although, I will say this, my friend and I were laughing our asses off for those last two "fights." I'm just bummed we were denied the Kimbo/Houston Alexander finish.

Go back and watch the finish again. Kimbo misses a punch by two or three feet and IMMEDIATELY bends down to put his hands on his knees. Meanwhile, the gust of wind from the missed punch changes Dada's direction, he turns, staggers about six or seven feet, and flops right on his face. I have NEVER seen anything like that.

Dude was out on his feet just leaning on Kimbo for a while there, I was yelling at Kimbo to literally just take a step to either side and Dada would have fallen on his face.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/2/20/11079210/bellator-149-dada-5000-hospitalized-renal-failure-severe-dehydration-kimbo-slice-mma-news

I know it's Texas and all, but how was this allowed to go on? If he dies, the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation is fucked along with Bellator. He had to lose forty pounds just to show up out of shape.

Evilclown is such a fucking dunce.

Why do you say this? Just curious...

Because he talks down to others who don't share his same opinionz 4 u and says stupid shit like how last night wasn't a bad thing or anything because it's dudes fighting in a cage.

Gotcha, it was just a name I hadn't seen in a looong time and was wondering if he'd just switched usernames on here or something. I haven't seen a word of his since he left DVDVR but then again I tend to not really look anywhere else besides here and the occasional visit to Sherdog (like I will today for results). I'm a man of routine and everything I need to read gets covered between the two sites.

Loved his book though....

Gotcha, it was just a name I hadn't seen in a looong time and was wondering if he'd just switched usernames on here or something. I haven't seen a word of his since he left DVDVR but then again I tend to not really look anywhere else besides here and the occasional visit to Sherdog (like I will today for results). I'm a man of routine and everything I need to read gets covered between the two sites.

Loved his book though....

That book was shit too. I have no idea why I follow him on Twitter, but I do.

Like glfpunk said, I've never seen someone so full of themselves.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/2/20/11079210/bellator-149-dada-5000-hospitalized-renal-failure-severe-dehydration-kimbo-slice-mma-news

I know it's Texas and all, but how was this allowed to go on? If he dies, the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation is fucked along with Bellator. He had to lose forty pounds just to show up out of shape.

That's why I think more regulated weight cutting needs to happen.

I'm sure Luke Thomas is an OK dude, but his analyst style can really get on my nerves sometimes.  I've watched a lot of his Bellator coverage this week, but does anyone notice he clicks his tongue very loudly every five seconds.  He's like this really snooty, know-it-all academic professor.  He can't stand pro wrestling or pro wrestling antics, but he loves baby nuts and he seems to prop up Bellator a lot even when its not that impressive.

He comes off as a bit of a fighter activist at times with the way he homers Bellator as an alternative.  Now let me say, no problem IMHO with advocating for the fighters, but the way he does it and then turns around and constantly lauds Bellator is ridiculous and silly to me. 

Luke Thomas actually called Kimbo Slice a "viable contender" in his post-fight show.

Not the whole...putting people who have never cut weight or aren't professional athletes into a professional MMA fight with little training to speak of? Also clearing said person and just allowing him to fight without a serious inspection into his background.

There are a lot of examples that exemplify some of the problems with unregulated weight cutting in MMA. This ain't one of them. This speaks to the failure of the promotion and the commission.

Not the whole...putting people who have never cut weight or aren't professional athletes into a professional MMA fight with little training to speak of? Also clearing said person and just allowing him to fight without a serious inspection into his background.

There are a lot of examples that exemplify some of the problems with unregulated weight cutting in MMA. This ain't one of them. This speaks to the failure of the promotion and the commission.

OK I misunderstood this at first.

I mean Harris was apparently 2-0 before this fight.  So maybe that was enough in the eyes of the commission.  But it seems like massive weight cutting is also a problem.

But maybe Bellator and Spike set these fights up in Texas because...it's Texas and the commission is still in the stone age.

That's not even what I'm saying.  I'm not sure how you can complain about this on one hand and then criticize it on the other.  I'm saying fighters should not be allowed to cut such a dangerous amount of weight right before a fight.

Dhafir Harris is not a professional fighter. That's my point. They pretended he was. He could have died. Then, you would have had a bunch of finger pointing. He should have never been in that position in the first place. Once you get past that part, I'm surely not expecting any accountability when it comes to his "trainers" or his "camp" like you would with just about everyone else.

Considering the show pulled in big ratings and did even better than Kimbo Slice vs. Ken Shamrock, have no reason to believe Bellator will stop doing the carny act anytime soon.

If they don't want to invest long term, then they have no other alternative.