DVDVR Message Board

[MM16] OTHER US & UK NOMINATIONS

RIPPA

I think the obvious two from the U.K are Zack Sabre Jr and Will Ospreay. ZSJ cemented his reputation as one of the best technical wrestlers in the world and smashed into the main event scene of the major Western indy promotions. He won the Battle of Los Angeles as well, of course. Ospreay is arguably the most jaw dropping high flyer in the world at the moment and has set himself up to explode internationally in the year to come with his New Japan bookings lined up. He had a quality match with Matt Sydal in June, and again his Battle of Los Angeles performance was significant for him. His match with Mark Andrews in that was a gem.

Completely agree on Sabre Jr, Scurll and Ospreay.

This might be an unpopular opinion around here, but for me personally there has been noone better in this time period (not only on the Indies but period) than Roderick Strong. Don't only go by his ROH matches, watch his PWG matches, where he had one tremendous match after the other. Watch his matches in the PROGRESS Super Strong Style 16 or his RevPro Match against Nakamura. I'm sure you will agree.

Another no-brainer should be Chris Hero. Great showings in PWG, EVOLVE and pretty much anywhere.

Agree with you on Roddy and Hero. I'd add Mike Bailey from the PWG mix. His title match with Strong was well onto its way to being a classic before it kind of devloved into an indy spotfest. He's had really good matches with Hero, Trevor Lee (who would be a good shout too), and most of his work in BOLA was great outside of the final, which came as a bit of a let down. It's not out yet, but I needs to see that match with Omega that people are hyping to the max. I'm guessing the guerrilla warfare match is going to be good too.

Any of his stuff outside of PWG worth tracking down?

Timothy Thatcher? He's another wrestler who's had a superb year, both in terms of the quality of his matches (the stand outs being his bouts with Chris Hero for WWN and PWG) and the vastly increased amount of exposure he's received. He's doing a tremendous job as Evolve Champion and really exemplifies what I think that company is doing so well at the moment.

EC3 should be in based on carrying TNA on his back for the whole year. 3rd the love for Sabre also will add Gargano and Ciampa should be nominated. Will think about some other people.

Kimber Lee should be nominated as well Chikara Grand Champion, SHINE/SHIMMER tag champ, WSU tag champ and her work in Beyond wrestling.

Fortunately for you - there are a bunch against each other

Mastiff/Damo is in Part 2 of my 2015 1001 matches special

The Damo vs. Rampage Brown is amazing too

And I fucking loved Mastiff/Adam Cole which you can find on youtube easily too

• Like 1

Mastiff vs Damo from ICW was on youtube last I looked. There are at least 2 Rampage/Damo matches from Discovery, the second being a last man standing match that I adored. There was a tag match with Crusher Craib I liked a lot, and anytime Damo gets to manhandle Joe Hendry or Lou King Sharp is worth seeing.

Edited to add this, because it might be overlooked. I'd say it shows off what Damo can do pretty well.

Zack Sabre Jr. 

Dave Mastiff

Timothy Thatcher

Also, I roundly enjoyed any and all Kongo Kong that I saw last year (which was like six matches), so I nominate him as well.

I guess I'll also have to throw Tommy End's name in the hat since nobody else has done it yet.

What from his singles matches would you recommend? Is much available for free online? I remember a couple of years ago folk were talking him up so I watched a couple of his matches and didn't think he was very good at all, like some US super indy tribute act. Thought the team with Dante worked well though.