DVDVR Message Board

The NASCAR (and other Racing) Thread

Rev Ray

Interesting tactical move from 23XI. Bubba (23 --> 45) and Ty Gibbs (45 --> 23) will have the same crew, setup, sponsors etc as before... they're literally just swapping numbers.

7 hours ago, Travis Sheldon said:

Congrats to Bubba Wallace for kicking ass in his 2nd win. 

I know it won't shut up his haters, but there was no rain stoppage or any other excuses for them to use in this race win. (Even though I know that won't stop them from spewing.) 

Of course he won! He was driving Kurt's car so it was a better setup, and Denny let him win because advancing in the playoffs wasn't NEARLY as important as picking up ponts in the owners championship. Also, he wrecked Harvick (without touching him) so he doesn't deserve the win, and he hurt peoples' feelings by shushing everyone after he got out of the car at the end.

This is what DARFs actually believe.

Kyle Busch will be leaving Joe Gibbs Racing to join Richard Childress Racing at season's end

It is unclear if RCR will run 3 cars or negotiate an early buyout with Tyler Reddick (who already announced he was leaving RCR at the end of 2023)

On 9/12/2022 at 8:57 AM, RIPPA said:

Kyle Busch will be leaving Joe Gibbs Racing to join Richard Childress Racing at season's end

It is unclear if RCR will run 3 cars or negotiate an early buyout with Tyler Reddick (who already announced he was leaving RCR at the end of 2023)

Per the presser this morning, Kyle will drive the 8 car. Reddick has been booted from the 8 but they will have a third charter for him, so he will continue to drive for them through 2023.

• 2 weeks later...

Jimmie Johnson has retired from full time racing

There are a couple of "bucket list" things he is still planning on trying

Some of those are

• The Double (the Indianapolis 500 and Coca-Cola 600 on the same day)
  • 24 Hours of Le Mans
  • Next year's inaugural NASCAR Chicago street race
  • Clash at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum

• 3 weeks later...

TLDR: Kurt is stepping away from a full-time schedule in 2023, only competing in a handful of races. Tyler Reddick's RCR contract has been bought out and he will drive the 45 car on a permanent basis next year.

32 minutes ago, Pete said:

I guess Ty Gibbs wanted to be a monster heel today. Fucking phenomenal.

That was fucking AWESOME.  He is the NEW Noah Gragson.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Pete said:

Ross Chastain may never get out of his car because there's no way his giant titanium balls will fit through the door. Holy fucking shit.

MOTHERFUCKING AAAAWWWWWEESSSSOME!

The best part of what Chastain did? He got the idea from playing video games (as hinted at in the broadcast)

“I played a lot of NASCAR 2005 on the GameCube which I had growing up,” said Chastain during a post-race interview shared on Twitter. “You could get away with it [in the game] and I never knew if it would actually work. I mean, I did that when I was eight years old.”

Chastain explained that he wasn’t sure who was in the lead and talked to his crew before making the decision to, in real life, recreate a maneuver he had previously only attempted in a video game back when he was eight. The driver says that once he got against the wall he “basically let go of the wheel” and hoped he didn’t catch anything sticking out of the barrier, like an access gate. Chastain said he was “willing to do it” to secure himself a position in the NASCAR Championship. (His sudden surge came at the expense of competitor Denny Hamlin, who had previously been on track to make the cut.)

• 2 months later...