DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Spoilers for 2/11/16

victor

Did some of you expect any different, regarding the booking of AJ?  Did you expect him to be the exception to the rule, and be some golden boy, hand picked by Vince to the lead the company alongside Roman?  Just enjoy the product and wait to complain until the next match.  Thanks to the super thin roster, mixed with having to produce 6 or so hours of new programming per week, these programs have to span several matches, and you can't expect AJ to win them all.  IMO, 50/50 is just a result of having too much wrestling to produce with so few wrestlers.  None of this means AJ won't be main eventing, or at least have a strong position in the company, in the years to come.

Dudleyz refusing to use tables is fucking great.  Kinda ironic that they also mention being sick of Bryan since the gimmick refusal hearkens to the American Dragon heel run when he would prematurely cut off The Final Countdown during his ring entrance so fans could not sing along.

Also reminds me of Vader's "I'm not doing moonsaults on free television." run in the WWE.

Guys, Bray Wyatt BEAT Jericho at SummerSlam 2014. He lost to him at fucking Battleground 2014!

So, nobody even remembers where he lost.

People on this board really want to believe Bray Wyatt has lost more than he has won because it supports whatever whiny argument they are making at the time - I've trotted out the actual win-loss stats and was mostly ignored.

• Like 2

Dudleyz refusing to use tables is fucking great.  Kinda ironic that they also mention being sick of Bryan since the gimmick refusal hearkens to the American Dragon heel run when he would prematurely cut off The Final Countdown during his ring entrance so fans could not sing along.

Also reminds me of Vader's "I'm not doing moonsaults on free television." run in the WWE.

Reminds me of Cactus Jack in ECW.

Guys, Bray Wyatt BEAT Jericho at SummerSlam 2014. He lost to him at fucking Battleground 2014!

People on this board really want to believe Bray Wyatt has lost more than he has won because it supports whatever whiny argument they are making at the time - I've trotted out the actual win-loss stats and was mostly ignored.

He has only lost feuds to Cena, Roman and The Undertaker. I'll grant he lost to Taker in two separate feuds. However, I'll also argue that The Wyatts beating The Shield is a pretty epic win. Bray also beat the dude who just had the retirement ceremony on Raw.

Ha, as I was reading this thread, I kept thinking "I kinda wanna say Bray lost at some throwaway ppv, but I'm not sure and it really isn't even worth opening a new tab to find out." One could make the case though, that it is more damning that most people can't remember even the broadest details of the feud, but can remember that Bray did in fact lose to Jericho one time.

The  with Jericho beating Bray was that it was the first match of the feud, Bray had just come off of a loss against Cena, and Jericho was kind of stale in general at the time. Bray needed to win all of those matches in honest truth as the loss to Cena was big and he needed something that made him look strong.

I'm fine with Jericho winning here. AJ won the first match on the more watched show, and Jericho has been much better this time around outside of the matches, I only think he shouldn't have won clean.

People don't usually argue that the Jericho feud was all that great for Bray, but the detractors of the feud are all "BRAY NEVER EVER WINS" when that isn't true and isn't really the issue. The biggest problem about Bray's feud with Cena wasn't that he lost so much - it's that they turned him into a joke. It's the extremely irritating singing (another thing we can blame on the shitty smark crowds) and the stupid children's choir booking that he has yet to recover from, not the losses.

Whoever said that Styles would be the new person whose booking everyone would complain about instead of Bryan/Punk was right on, though. I don't think the clean loss on SmackDown to Jericho was a good idea, but anything less than AJ beating everyone he wrestles is going to get shit on here.

ETA: Patrick, I'm not referring specifically to you and neither is anyone else - you aren't that important, please stop

ETA, II: Also, when every one of your posts is about not getting mad anymore and letting go, you probably aren't actually letting anything go

• Like 2

Ha, as I was reading this thread, I kept thinking "I kinda wanna say Bray lost at some throwaway ppv, but I'm not sure and it really isn't even worth opening a new tab to find out." One could make the case though, that it is more damning that most people can't remember even the broadest details of the feud, but can remember that Bray did in fact lose to Jericho one time.

It wasn't an interesting feud. I did like Bray doing a nice locker room attack on Jericho. They tried to do a sit-down interview between the two and it didn't come off too well, either. It fell flat, especially since Bray was pulling out a child's choir dressed in sheep's masks just a few weeks earlier.

But I think the whole "Jericho Beat Bray" think is very much a case of selective memory. Like... the dude lost the first match in the feud. And then went on to beat him the rest of the way and left him laying in the middle of the ring after winning a pretty good steel cage match that ended the rivalry. Not sure what else they could do to show Bray really got over on Jericho. People don't want to remember things like that for whatever reason... but that's what happened.

People don't usually argue that the Jericho feud was all that great for Bray, but the detractors of the feud are all "BRAY NEVER EVER WINS" when that isn't true and isn't really the issue. The biggest problem about Bray's feud with Cena wasn't that he lost so much - it's that they turned him into a joke. It's the extremely irritating singing (another thing we can blame on the shitty smark crowds) and the stupid children's choir booking that he has yet to recover from, not the losses.

I loved all that weird and creepy choir stuff with Bray. That was a madman act at its finest.

I loved all that weird and creepy choir stuff with Bray. That was a madman act at its finest.

I think you're definitely in the minority on that - the finish to the Extreme Rules cage match was widely criticized, and for good reason, IMO. And that particular match being the one win Bray got during the feud definitely did not help him.

• Like 1

I think the production "style" that WWE has evolved into over the years just doesn't lend itself well to the dramatic/creepy stuff they like to do. It results in things like the Wyatts vignettes being badass, but the children's choir/hologram/pictures of "fireflies" on the screens during the Wyatt entrance stuff being really hokey.

A character like Stardust being presented completely differently from a production standpoint would help him out tremendously, but instead you can #blamekevindunn for it all just coming off as cheesy.

I think that's a fairly accurate assessment. 

Jesus, I still can't believe they went through with some of the stuff for Bray, like the hologram. Then again, I look at all of the Undertaker shooting lightning shit, thinking of how recently they tried that, and think that looks as bad. 

I Don't expect AJ Styles to go undefeated in his WWE career, but I don't think he should be doing a clean job before his first ppv singles match either.

Sasha Banks has been on the main roster for 6 or 7 months, and has yet to do a clean job. They can't get AJ through Mania season with the lack over babyfaces they're currently suffering through? This is a crucial time where they can tell the audience "hey this guy is a big deal" or "yeah he's basically just like every other mid carder we have". 

So he goes from hottest free agent in wrestling, former IWGP champion, and two time WO WOTY to just like every other mid carder in WWE 3 weeks into his run and people are supposed to be cool with that? They desperately need new stars. They desperately need babyfaces that are over that the fans give a shit about. AJ has the top selling piece of merchandise in the entire company. Don't you think now is the time they should be protecting him, and building his reputation up with the fans before he starts dropping falls?

It may not hurt him in the long run, but it's still a risk they shouldn't be taking if they actually wanted to make him seem like a big deal.

He has only lost feuds to Cena, Roman and The Undertaker. I'll grant he lost to Taker in two separate feuds. However, I'll also argue that The Wyatts beating The Shield is a pretty epic win. Bray also beat the dude who just had the retirement ceremony on Raw.

Should we chalk up this Big Show/Kane/Ryback feud as a loss before it happens?