DVDVR Message Board

The "This is How Not to Cut a Fucking Promo" Thread - New Board Edition

Well, now that I think about it, the group was originally labeled by Hogan as the "New World Organization" on that fateful night, only later was that promo rubbed to say "Order", so it is different.

On 8/29/2020 at 7:10 PM, nate said:

Sullivan mentions the "New World Order", but I thought the Dungeon was gone or defunct by the time the nWo started?

The DoD was still nominally around after the nWo formed; Konnan leaving them for the nWo was one of the many defections that occurred in the opening months of the nWo's existence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

The DoD was still nominally around after the nWo formed; Konnan leaving them for the nWo was one of the many defections that occurred in the opening months of the nWo's existence.

2 hours ago, Infinit said:

The Giant turning on the DoD to join the NWO was arguable the first great NWO swerve/defection.

Edit: not counting Hogan

Big Bubba Rogers also defected from the Dungeon to the nWo.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/29/2013 at 10:18 PM, Territorial said:

Was watching this a bit earlier and got nostalgic for the bad promo thread. 

From USWA, the video debut of the Dream Warriors.  Three awful promos for the price of one.

Bumping this up laughing after this thread was referenced in the “worst/family” thread and I came to check out post number 1. I always thought a clean cut tag team called The Dream Warriors that came out to the Dokken album version of the song would have been epic. 

• Haha 1

I really liked the rap duo The Dream Warriors in my youth. No idea how they'd hold up if I listened now.

As far as these Dream Warriors go, the promo peaked when Brute said they were destined to be the USWA championship belts. Presumably he was expecting they'd be flayed and tanned.

9 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

I really liked the rap duo The Dream Warriors in my youth. No idea how they'd hold up if I listened now.

As far as these Dream Warriors go, the promo peaked when Brute said they were destined to be the USWA championship belts. Presumably he was expecting they'd be flayed and tanned.

BROOD AND SCREAMER! They were Chicago guys (Windy City) who got around way more than I realized... even had a run in Puerto Rico.

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

BROOD AND SCREAMER! They were Chicago guys (Windy City) who got around way more than I realized... even had a run in Puerto Rico.

Wow. I didn't think "Brute" was a particularly inspired name for a monster heel or anything, but "Brood" is fucking terrible.

@kafkoniasaid their manager was a direct-to-video Paul E., and I would go farther and say that Screamer pulled off a Dollar Tree version of an Animal promo. It wasn't good, but no one would be posting this video if not for Brood being awful.

It's not a good effect to tell the viewers to look into your eyes as a way to show how badass you are, but when the camera zooms in on your eyes, you are rapidly blinking in terror at not knowing what to say or do next.

6 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

@kafkoniasaid their manager was a direct-to-video Paul E., and I would go farther and say that Screamer pulled off a Dollar Tree version of an Animal promo. It wasn't good, but no one would be posting this video if not for Brood being awful.

Plus Screamer did kind of scream his promo, so you know, points for committing to the gimmick.

• Like 1

Okay, I've been watching an asinine amount of OSW lately, and it might be worth getting an OSW tattoo for them to review a boy stable of Jumpin Jeff Farmer, the Dream Warriors, and Dirty Player.

• Like 2

Did someone ever post a "Nighthawk" Joe Coltrane promo? He was only in JCP for about a month in 1986 and then somehow had just about as brief a run in USWA a few years later. However, he was hovering around Angelo Mosca Jr. levels of "charisma".

I couldn't find a good one, but I do have a nice consolation prize of a freshly turned Shaska Whatley smacking the absolute dogshit out of him.

• Like 2

I watched an April 1986 Mid-Atlantic episode last that had a Nighthawk Coltrane promo and he gave off a real "who the fuck is this guy" vibe

Kevin Sullivan seems like a guy who probably listened to some Art Bell while travelling after dark, so don't write off the idea of him suggesting a bit of a conspiracy idea.

On 8/29/2020 at 9:53 PM, nate said:

Well, now that I think about it, the group was originally labeled by Hogan as the "New World Organization" on that fateful night, only later was that promo rubbed to say "Order", so it is different.

I recall him live him saying New World Order Organization Professional Wrestling... brother. 

What’s everybody’s opinion on the last Doug Gilbert promo in Memphis? I won’t post it just in case it’s to much but I only recently noticed that Tommy Rich mentioned something we recently made a list of promos with that was overshadowed by what Doug said. That thread was locked but we were listing promos that mentioned steroids lol! Tommy Rich with a bomb before the nuke. 

37 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

There's a mix bag of promos on this show. A couple real bad ones from Private Nelson (pre-Russian Zukhov) and this blundering piece of gold from Rotunda/Rotundo... 

I'm pretty sure they woke Mike up in the back from his nap and told him to go out and cut a promo. Holy fuck. 

I've heard UFC fighters who have just been concussed give more lucid interviews than whatever that was.

• Haha 2