DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Grateful 2-8-16

MGFanJay

Do I believe WWE's doctor was instructed to not clear Bryan? I do. As long as Bryan is around, Roman will never get the reaction Vince wants. Ex. 2015 Royal Rumble

That's amazing that anyone truly believes that. Or even had that thought. Especially in a period with no star power due to injuries and they have the biggest star they've had in the past few years sitting ready to get put in the game, but they wouldn't do it not because of brain stuff, but because of Roman Reigns.

BTW, Bruce Arthur (One of the better sportswriters in Canada) tweeted the following tonight after Deadspin put up a video of the Bryan retirement

Bruce Arthur ‏@bruce_arthur  31m31 minutes ago
Imagine the NFL giving a beloved player who was retiring due to concussions a stadium, and a mic. You can't.

• Like 1

I know this much is true: the crowds won't get behind another wrestler for a long time like they did with Daniel Bryan. That's something you can't book to happen - it just occurs organically and it's beautiful. When that happens, and they eventually ride off into the sunset, you can literally feel the void they've left behind. That's something special and it doesn't happen too often. Some people might not get it or understand why it happens, but to those of us that rallied behind him - it felt real. And isn't that why we're all watching this crazy sport called pro wrestling? To get heavily invested in a character and believing, even if it's only for a moment, that it's real?

He honestly made it feel real, and brought emotion and passion into his craft. We could all feel it, and I think judging by tonight - he could too. Thank you, Bryan Danielson.

Havent read through the thread so apologies if I double up but the only 2 people I can see coming close to Bryan are Bayley and Sami Zayn.

Anyway, this show was fun enough. The problem with RAW is all the commercial breaks, which dampen the mood. Crowd was super into Owens/Ziggler, which was the best match of the night. I don't know how the crowd came off on TV, but they were hot for almost everything. They weren't perfect - "What" chants at Miz, "SEA-HAWKS" for about ten seconds during Foxy/Charlotte - but they at least cared a lot about everything. 

The kids sitting near us were cool. One asked his dad what the crowd was chanting at Mark Henry. His dad answered, "Sexual Chocolate." One beat. Two beats. Then his response: "...that's weird." If only this kid were around in '99, he'd think it was REALLY fuckin' weird. 

The Bryan stuff was great. People booed that he had to quit wrestling, but no one wants him to kill himself in the ring or anything. His attempts at having a kid getting "Yes!" chants actually did make me laugh. Obviously, this was a show missing star-power, but it was still cool to see RAW live and worth the money. We had fun. 

Oh yeah, Brock sold the nut-shot all the way after the cameras were off. He struggled to his feet and sold it back down the ramp. He or Owens was MVP of the night aside from Bryan. 

I feel not enough love has been given tonight to Mark Henry's dance moves. That, and the fact he didn't even bother turning heel. Mark Henry just does whatever the fuck he wants with whoever the fuck he wants.

• Like 1

Seattle loves there football team until the Hawks start to suck again that chant isnt going anywhere. The Mariners arent winning the pennant anytime soon and they took our basketball team from us. Seahawks is all we got lol.  I'll say more once I see Bryans speech. It's 10:35 in Vegas so Raw is still on. I will say from what I saw from Ambrose tonight and the ass kicking he took from Brock and how much of a badass he looked taking that whooping he should be the one going into Mania to face H. He can be the star they so desperately want Roman to be. 

Looks like WWE is getting exactly the narrative they wanted out of this, too: Deadspin's article about the show concludes that this shows WWE cares more about brain health than the NFL.

Everybody's a winner.

Vince: "Hey, I'm WAY too smart to let Will Smith make a harsh but critically acclaimed movie about me!"

Will Smith playing Vince McMahon in a movie would either be his finest work ever or a train wreck of epic proportions. Either way I would watch it.

Oh man if we could get a series with Jada going through Linda's senate run, Jaden as Shane and Willow as Steph...

Trey (the forgotton son) can play Hornswaggle!

Cm Punk is my favorite wrestler.  It's been that way since I was 16.  He was lighting it up in ROH and out talking all the guys on Raw, but he was never the best.  Samoa Joe was in the midst of an historic title run, but he was never the best.  My childhood idol Shawn Michaels was back on TV, but even he was never the best.  It seems like such a hard distinction to make at 16, but it couldn't have been any clearer

You see, later on that same year I saw Bryan Danielson live for the first time at the Frontier Fieldhouse in Chicago and he was already the GOAT.  

I knew it then and I know it now.  To me, the most amazing thing about Bryan's career is that the rest world was able to figure it out.  Thanks for everything, champ.

• Like 10

Cm Punk is my favorite wrestler.  It's been that way since I was 16.  He was lighting it up in ROH and out talking all the guys on Raw, but he was never the best.  Samoa Joe was in the midst of an historic title run, but he was never the best.  My childhood idol Shawn Michaels was back on TV, but even he was never the best.  It seems like such a hard distinction to make at 16, but it couldn't have been more clear.

The truth of it is, I first saw DB live at the Frontier Fieldhouse in Chicago at an ROH show in 2004.  I knew it then, just as I know it now, Bryan Danielson is the GOAT.

Thanks for everything, champ.

Out of likes, but you summed up exactly how I feel.

Wrestling is such a brutal horrible, wonderful mistress. It's given us so much over the years and taken so much away. 

I hope it's a happy ending for him. 

As for the rest of us.

You've watched this in the last two days. Watch this again. It's a panacea. There's still so much joy in this messed up, stupid thing we all love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRr1boAj6KA

I heart Bayley.

That is all.

What a speech. It had me tearing up. D-Bry is a class act what a way to go out. I like alot of other people wanted to see a long reign after Mania 30 and i wanted to see Bryan reign on top. But life doesnt work like that. He gave us five star matches and for a brief moment wrestling was a meritocracy, the guy who gave it his all every night and was truly the best got what he deserved. he fought for everything he got and every time it looked like the "machine" was trying to bury him it only made him stronger and made the fans wanting more. He never gave up and he never got bitter or negative he always had a smile on his face and kept his head high and went out and busted his ass. It paid off and he got his big moment in the Super Dome. Thank You Bryan. You proved that hard work and dedication does pay off. And those few saying Brie stole his thunder or tried to get herself over. Thats her husband, giving up the thing he loves, the only thing he has done his adult life, well before he really wants to. Supporting him in what has to be one of the scariest decisions of his life. What does he do now all he knows is wrestling. She'd be a bitch if she didnt go out there at the end and comforted him. Sorry for the rambling, I just wanted to show my gratitude to one of the best I've ever seen in some small way.

• Like 3

In the end, I shouldn't be too upset, because part of Bryan's charm is that he's such a nice, humble guy that you don't just want to see him win matches or titles, you want to see him win at life. By walking away now, he's got every chance at that.

I SHOULDN'T be too upset, and yet...

This one's gonna sting for awhile.

• Like 2

In the end, I shouldn't be too upset, because part of Bryan's charm is that he's such a nice, humble guy that you don't just want to see him win matches or titles, you want to see him win at life. By walking away now, he's got every chance at that.

I SHOULDN'T be too upset, and yet...

This one's gonna sting for awhile.

Exactly how I feel. A huge part of why I love this whacky thing has left and not on his own terms. But he's leaving to start a family with the woman he loves and should live a wonderful modern hippie life. It's going to be a painful first few years but he'll be okay.

I loved him in ROH. I loved watching him slum it up in a local indy in a sweaty Vancouver suburb gym in 2004. He was a heel but a huge portion of the fans cheered and applauded his greatness. He fought it but eventually, during a standing ovation, he cracked and did the Mr. Roper smile, as Piranesi so perfectly put it.

Just a beautiful soul who made this overly cynical and jaded fan feel again. He made me feel like a little kid again, cheering passionately for my rasslin hero and loathing the antagonists.

• Like 3

Good speech by Bryan at the end, its unfortunate that his wife yet again wants to use a seminole moment in her husbands career to try and get herself over. I guess this is the last time she can leech off Bryan's heat and with the match coming up at Fastlane, it makes sense for WWE to send her out. Connor McGregor's girlfriend is just as hungry for the camera than Brie, but she is so much less endearing.

footerlogo.png

I almost felt bad for being the spelling police until I finished your bizarre misogynistic rant.

• Like 1

How soon before Tommy Dreamer's scrambled brain is trotted back out? "Fuck 'em, he's not under contract and won't steal Roman's thunder."

Jesus.  I was hopeful that Bryan's retirement would put to bed the absurd notion that Vince was keeping his top guy on the shelf for the sole purpose of getting Roman reigns over (as if one babyface being over somehow negates another from getting over).  Nope, guess not.

Bryan hit so many of the same notes that Benoit did in alot of people - Aggressive technical style. Worked great as a heel or face. The diving headbutt and the crossface style finish. He always seemed just that much more real than alot of the other guys in the ring. Bryan went that level beyond though because he had an amazing personality that ended up transcending the 'wrestling bubble'.

In the aftermath of Mania 30 a friend mentioned how strange it was that history seemed to repeat itself -

Bret Hart, technical wrestler and 'smark' fan favorite, won the title at Mania 10. His career was ended due to a brain injury in the ring.

Chris Benoit, technical wrestler and 'smark' fan favorite, won the title at Mania 20. We all know his story re: brain damage.

Bryan, technical wrestler and 'smark' fan favorite, won the title in perhaps the greatest WrestleMania moment of all time at Mania 30. His career has now come to an end due to brain damage caused by concussion.

I don't know if all that really means anything but thinking about it now I'm glad that Bryan is getting out. I hope he makes a fortune from his merch, stays away from the inevitable offers that will come from TNA/ROH/NJPW etc and that he and Brie can live their days in Arizona composting their own poop for years to come.

Re: Bret, Benoit, and Bryan -- the symmetry would be even more eerie if WWF did triple threats in 1994. 

Obviously not the first time this has occurred to me.

Never even crossed my mind but they could have run with Yoko v Luger v Hart as the 'first ever' triple threat.

Geez...

Big fan of Daniel Bryan starting in 2005 and continue to be, he’s a top five favourite wrestler of mine. One of the greatest wrestlers of all time, Daniel’s way up the list…he might be the best.

In April 2015, I attended my first ever wrestling event as a 30th birthday present from my sister and Daniel Bryan was wrestling. As a lifelong fan of wrestling and what I’ve said about Daniel Bryan, great experience. I was most fortunate to see Daniel Bryan because two days later, Daniel wrestled his last match on the tour. This turned into Daniel’s last match ever as Daniel Bryan announced his retirement yesterday. It’s good to know Daniel's getting out before further damage can be done.

Thanks for the memories, Daniel Bryan.