DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Grateful 2-8-16

MGFanJay

Damn. Marshawn Lynch, Calvin Johnson, and Daniel Bryan are all rumored to be hanging it up.  If they all are legitimately retiring, I hope their health isn't declining and they're getting out without long term damage.

Retirement is one part of it, but I always wonder about these guys post-retirement.  It can't be easy to just stop doing something you've dedicated so much mental and physical energy to in your life.  Plus, the highs are hard to replicate. No more big Mondays or Sundays.  Some athletes don't handle it well.

All three have made a lot of money, but I hope they all find peace in their next phrase.  Strong support systems and all that jazz.

Someone said it in this thread earlier; Daniel Bryan made me proud to be a wrestling fan. A tremendous sendoff for a tremendous performer and human being. Go live the good life. Thank you for the smile you gave me at the end of 'Mania 30. 

• Like 3

Damn. Marshawn Lynch, Calvin Johnson, and Daniel Bryan are all rumored to be hanging it up.  If they all are legitimately retiring, I hope their health isn't declining and they're getting out without long term damage.

Retirement is one part of it, but I always wonder about these guys post-retirement.  It can't be easy to just stop doing something you've dedicated so much mental and physical energy to in your life.  Plus, the highs are hard to replicate. No more big Mondays or Sundays.  Some athletes don't handle it well.

All three have made a lot of money, but I hope they all find peace in their next phrase.  Strong support systems and all that jazz.

Acting? I guess. I could see Bryan getting into that. Many wrestlers seem to, post-retirement.

Total Divas indicates he could perhaps start his own environmentally-friendly composite toilet business.

More thoughts on the show:

1) Seriously, the Daniel Bryan retirement segment really captured why I still love this crap.

There's really no point even going on.  I will watch that speech over and over much like I did Edge's.  It was a fucking amazing moment that I will remember where I was when I watched it.  And much like Edge's speech, I don't care about what happened on the show before or after and I never will.  It's heartwrenching to see someone forced to give up what they love because what they loved was killing them. 

And then you flippantly segue to "Man, Steph sure is a great heel, right?" You might as well have witnessed JFK's assassination and paused to point out that "yeah, the President died" but wow that first marching band was AWESOME.  Seriously, who gives a shit about the other two and and a half hours?

This thread is really making me discover which ones of you have absolutely no soul.

Lynch is super into his clothing line and doing stuff for less advantaged folks in Oakland. And he supposedly never spent a single NFL game check. I don't worry about him at all. Not convinced Bryan never comes back. Not convinced Megatron is really retired, either. Don't know jack about his personal life because he really doesn't put himself out there.

For a guy who's never been a commanding speaker, I think Bryan did a tremendous job of contextualizing his decision in such a way that everybody in the arena could understand and get on board with it. No one was chanting One More Match at him, and I doubt they ever will.

My last favorite wrestler retired, but if Bryan isn't going to be cynical, I'm not going to be. Some of the best times of my teenage years were spent with friends, going on pilgrimages to indy shows to see him wrestle. Many things changed, few of them for the better. I fell into addiction and dropped out of school. But there were always those friends, those ROH tapes, and Bryan Danielson. It kept me grounded. It was something to look forward to when there was nothing else. When I put myself back together, finished school, sobered up, I saw his ascent; and I drove to New Orleans with those same friends, to see him headline Wrestlemania. He's given me a lot; and I would say, normally, that it isn't about me. Except that was the thing that really, ultimately, made him special: he always made you feel that it was. Even, to the last, said so.

• Like 7

Looks like WWE is getting exactly the narrative they wanted out of this, too: Deadspin's article about the show concludes that this shows WWE cares more about brain health than the NFL.

Everybody's a winner.

Vince: "Hey, I'm WAY too smart to let Will Smith make a harsh but critically acclaimed movie about me!"

I don't think it was all that critically acclaimed. And context be damned, now I want VKM to be played by Will Smith.

I saw the trailer. Mostly it just seemed to be dark lighting, Will doing a patchy accent and everyone whispering "They'll do anything to stop this getting out!" while dramatic music plays in the background.

I don't know if the idea is meant to be that the NFL is trying to kill Will Smith or what. 

How soon before Tommy Dreamer's scrambled brain is trotted back out? "Fuck 'em, he's not under contract and won't steal Roman's thunder."

I'm going to say to you what I told someone else:  if Roman Reigns even once crossed your mind in all this, then you to re-prioritize your wrestling fandom.

I saw the trailer. Mostly it just seemed to be dark lighting, Will doing a patchy accent and everyone whispering "They'll do anything to stop this getting out!" while dramatic music plays in the background.

So exactly the same as that Liam Neeson commercial for LG Tvs.

As good as the Daniel Bryan speech was, nothing beats Cibernetico calling out Brie for ruining a seminole moment.

Now I'm picturing Daniel Bryan coming out for his retirement speech in faux seminole warpaint and headdress, whooping his way down to the ring and the crowd getting uncomfortable looks on their face and going "You know I like Daniel Bryan but this feels...wrong."  I seriously can't stop laughing at this image in my head of monstrous applause and cheering giving way to scattered applause as Bryan does a war-dance around the ring and Brie coming out and ushering him away.

#thankyouseminoledanielbryan

• Like 3

More thoughts on the show:

1) Seriously, the Daniel Bryan retirement segment really captured why I still love this crap.

There's really no point even going on.  I will watch that speech over and over much like I did Edge's.  It was a fucking amazing moment that I will remember where I was when I watched it.  And much like Edge's speech, I don't care about what happened on the show before or after and I never will.  It's heartwrenching to see someone forced to give up what they love because what they loved was killing them. 

And then you flippantly segue to "Man, Steph sure is a great heel, right?" You might as well have witnessed JFK's assassination and paused to point out that "yeah, the President died" but wow that first marching band was AWESOME.  Seriously, who gives a shit about the other two and and a half hours?

This thread is really making me discover which ones of you have absolutely no soul.

So he's not allowed to talk about the rest of the show if he wants to?

• Like 2

Couldn't be to avoid potential million-dollar lawsuits.  Nope.

For the record, I think WWE should have released Bryan from his contract. If he goes off and gets signed by TNA or whoever, whatever happens then is on the new promotion and him.  It's not that simple, obviously.  But it does give them a bit of plausible non-accountability.

I don't doubt WWE's medical team is shady.  But it's because they're told to protect the brand from possible years of litigation.

Roman will never get the reaction Vince wants. 

FTFY.

Bryan's not the reason, Roman's the reason. We have Cena, we don't need Samoan Cena. He's a garbage character. The guy Roman Reigns has improved tremendously but the material, booking and presentation is booty.

Do I believe WWE's doctor was instructed to not clear Bryan? I do. As long as Bryan is around, Roman will never get the reaction Vince wants. Ex. 2015 Royal Rumble

He shouldn't be cleared anyway.

But Meltzer made it clear on WOR that the current climate sealed the deal. Maroon is really paranoid about coming off as soft on brain injuries right now, because of the film. 

And, you know,  future lawsuits. 

Amazing speech and well deserved sendoff. Glad he got a 25 minute overrun. Great career and farewell. Lots of memories.

Surprised by the Dudleyz turn, or to see them back in the mix at all really after losing the dark match last week. I enjoyed them as faces but am glad the turn will give them something to do to keep them involved.

Owens/Ziggler for the third straight week, Titus losing to Adam Rose seemed to kill any momentum of his. Liking the Sasha/Becky vs Naomi/Tamina angle so far.

Do I believe WWE's doctor was instructed to not clear Bryan? I do. As long as Bryan is around, Roman will never get the reaction Vince wants. Ex. 2015 Royal Rumble

That's silly. Bryan could be around and Vince could make money off him in a sub Roman position. Bryan was even willing to go heel if that's what Vince wanted.

I definitely have no soul, but this thread broke down faster than even I expected.  Yikes.

And, admittedly, I expected Burgundy's contribution to be "I told you so", so that's on me.  Props for being some sort of voice of reason.

I should get some sleep.