DVDVR Message Board

DANIEL BRYAN DUMPSTER FIRE THREAD

RIPPA

I will never be upset about a wrestling making their money and getting out with their health.  None of them owe me a broken body or brain (or both). In that sense I'm happy to see Bryan go out.

But...Bryan's a guy who is going to make me feel a little more conflicted about that than most.  Gonna miss having him around and for the last couple years, already have, even though I don't really watch regularly/at all anymore.  He was the one guy who -- hearing you guys talk about him and what was starting to go on with him and his World Championship chase -- almost got me back into watching more regularly again.  He has/had that appeal.

Bryan got to retire at 34, financially secure, with a wife who is hot as hell and the respect and adoration of his co-workers, fans and family. That's pretty awesome.

For the past two years it has been hard for me to accept that Bryan was done. I could only imagine how hard it was for him.

I've been in love with wrestling since the first time I saw it when I was four years old. I watch week after week knowing full well that 99% of what I'm watching will be terrible or forgettable. You stick around because of the promise that a Bryan will happen and it will be a high like no other. And it really was.  I feel like we all recognized it and cherished it as it was happening, which is why it was so hard when it was suddenly taken away. But seriously, how much fun was that run? 

I think we all saw a lot of ourselves in Bryan. I remember in 99 sitting in my dorm room after reading Have a Nice Day fantasizing about ditching college and finding a wrestling school. It was all I wanted to do in the entire world, but I didn't have the balls to take that chance. Bryan did and personified that crazy dream being realized.

With Punk gone and now Bryan, the two icons of this era are retired. It seems fitting that Bryan humbly retired amongst the adoration of his hometown fans and Punk went out of his way to blow the place up on his way out. Isn't that exactly how it was supposed to be?

• Like 4

It still sucks Punk had to deal with so much bullshit on his way out, though.  Though, really, "Fuck this, I don't want to do this anymore" is a lot better than "Fuck this, I physically can't do this anymore without destroying my future."

It's cool both guys got to sell enough merch to set themselves up for life, met their wives, and will always have the hookup whenever they go somewhere and a fan spots them.

I see a lot of people saying Bryan is "financially secure." What makes us think that? He really only broke into the main event toward the end, and his prime earning years were ahead of him.

I mean, if I can't believe the Total Divas story of Brie scrambling to find Bryan a job so they don't end up in the poor house, what can I believe?

But seriously.

I see a lot of people saying Bryan is "financially secure." What makes us think that? He really only broke into the main event toward the end, and his prime earning years were ahead of him.

I mean, if I can't believe the Total Divas story of Brie scrambling to find Bryan a job so they don't end up in the poor house, what can I believe?

But seriously.

I think he's said so. He also doesn't spend any money.

• Like 1

Yeah - he says in his book that he spends very little. Plus - he has merch money AND has gotten national commercial gigs.

Plus - it's not like his wife is poor

But seriously.

I've heard that WM main event paydays are routinely in the 6 figure range and sometimes 7 figures. That coupled with the amount of merch he's sold probably means D-Bry is set-up for a long time unless he starts taking stock tips from HBK. In that case, he might have to become JBL's manservant.

For those who've watched Total Divas, look at the house Nattie and TJ live in versus where Brie and Bryan do, and they've never gotten close to the top of the card. I think Mr. and Mrs. Danielson (jeez, my phone tried to make that Mr. and Mrs. Goatface) probably have several million in the bank, and as folks have noted, Bryan isn't done making money.

As long as they stay healthy, I don't see them having money troubles.

Well, what we know about life is that when you're looking 30-40 years down the road you're very rarely set for life, especially when you factor in healthcare, childcare, estate etc.  But Bryan will always have a job in wrestling if he wants it. Would be amazed if he doesn't end up doing something down the line. 

I wonder what McGuiness is thinking. Those are two guys who had some wars and probably helped severely shorten each other's careers. 

• Like 1

I doubt Bryan is as financially secure for life as everyone seems to be making him out to be, but he probably has more than enough in the bank to go for the next few years until he can figure out something else to do.  I also doubt he'll be completely gone from WWE - he'll be a gold mine for personal appearances and Make-A-Wishs and the like.

I doubt Bryan is as financially secure for life as everyone seems to be making him out to be, but he probably has more than enough in the bank to go for the next few years until he can figure out something else to do.  I also doubt he'll be completely gone from WWE - he'll be a gold mine for personal appearances and Make-A-Wishs and the like.

He can't be that secure. At max, let's say he's made 6 million. That doesn't go a long way. But, he can work any show and get a payday anytime he wants and can do appearances for a while.

The hard part is going to be for him to build a life after. Presumably he hasn't done much else in his adultlife except wrestle.

• Like 1

He can't be that secure. At max, let's say he's made 6 million. That doesn't go a long way.

...some people should never win the lottery.

They own their home outright, don't live extravagantly, and Brie still pulls in a good wage. They could live comfortably off of the interest alone.

• Like 1

He can't be that secure. At max, let's say he's made 6 million. That doesn't go a long way. 

How? How does that not go along way. I could live several life times very well on a fraction of a fraction of that. 

How do you spend your money?

For those who've watched Total Divas, look at the house Nattie and TJ live in versus where Brie and Bryan do, and they've never gotten close to the top of the card. I think Mr. and Mrs. Danielson (jeez, my phone tried to make that Mr. and Mrs. Goatface) probably have several million in the bank, and as folks have noted, Bryan isn't done making money.

As long as they stay healthy, I don't see them having money troubles.

It reminds me of what Punk said when he got signed. He was asked what he'd do if he only got a Shannon Moore-like push. He said he'd "buy a house, like Shannon Moore did."