DVDVR Message Board

DANIEL BRYAN DUMPSTER FIRE THREAD

RIPPA

There's a WWE.com article on Bryan's 15 favorite matches of his career.  The writeup on Bryan-Nigel is really something.  Basically "um, you probably shouldn't have done some of that."

In every competitor’s career, there are bouts that change them — sometimes physically, sometimes mentally, sometimes both. For Daniel Bryan, it took a trip across the pond to Liverpool, England, to learn a valuable lesson of what going too far truly means.

The match had tremendous implications, as the winner would unify Ring of Honor’s two most significant singles championships: Bryan’s ROH World Title and Nigel McGuinness’s ROH Pure Title. The American Dragon, caught up in the moment, seemed determined to leave his opponent — then considered one of the world’s best — in a messy heap. The Englishman had his hometown country’s support, despite Bryan mounting a relentlessly vicious beating.

Bryan’s victory foreshadowed his hoisting up the WWE World Heavyweight Title belts at WrestleMania 30, but the conquest ultimately provided an education in limits and the genuine dangers of ring battle.

http://www.wwe.com/inside/daniel-bryan-15-greatest-matches/page-8

Triple H ‏@TripleH  14m14 minutes ago

One of my favorite @WrestleMania moments ever.  
Always have been and always will be an A+. #ThankYouDanielBryan 

LIAR!

Unless they are planning on doing a 3 hour tribute show - I kinda feel like they have to open with Bryan otherwise you definitely will have that crowd hijacking the show

This is really getting a ridiculous amount of attention. One of the great "What Ifs" we'll ever have as wrestling fans is "what if DB didn't have to essentially retire after his big WM win?" We got to witness him finishing up his chase, which was so great to watch unfold. But we never got to see him defend and regain the title. He very much broke out to a mainstream audience and was arguably a few weeks away from becoming an actual celebrity.

• Like 1

There's a WWE.com article on Bryan's 15 favorite matches of his career.  The writeup on Bryan-Nigel is really something.  Basically "um, you probably shouldn't have done some of that."

In every competitor’s career, there are bouts that change them — sometimes physically, sometimes mentally, sometimes both. For Daniel Bryan, it took a trip across the pond to Liverpool, England, to learn a valuable lesson of what going too far truly means.

The match had tremendous implications, as the winner would unify Ring of Honor’s two most significant singles championships: Bryan’s ROH World Title and Nigel McGuinness’s ROH Pure Title. The American Dragon, caught up in the moment, seemed determined to leave his opponent — then considered one of the world’s best — in a messy heap. The Englishman had his hometown country’s support, despite Bryan mounting a relentlessly vicious beating.

Bryan’s victory foreshadowed his hoisting up the WWE World Heavyweight Title belts at WrestleMania 30, but the conquest ultimately provided an education in limits and the genuine dangers of ring battle.

He didn't learn anything. It was Danielson bashing his head into the ringpost in his last ROH match.

Feel sorry for the bloke as wrestling was obviously his biggest passion and he's one of the most natural people I've ever seen in a ring. He was always the workhorse who you could rely on to have great matches, which is one reason he came to my attention in the early ROH day and also partly why his extended title run in ROH worked - the other reason that title reign was so great was that he realised his faults in regards to promo/character and he also used that title run to really forge those aspects to become one of the best all-rounders ever.

With that said, boy did he go out on a high - company tried to fuck him over and sabotage his popularity, fans wouldn't stand for it, had to be shoe-horned into the WM title picture, then went on to run the gauntlet in two great matches. I hadn't been that emotionally invested in a Wrestlemania main event since Benoit won and I doubt I ever will be again. Maybe it's for the best that was it as it was a great ending and the followthrough probably would have sucked

In every competitor’s career, there are bouts that change them — sometimes physically, sometimes mentally, sometimes both. For Daniel Bryan, it took a trip across the pond to Liverpool, England, to learn a valuable lesson of what going too far truly means.

Bryan’s victory foreshadowed his hoisting up the WWE World Heavyweight Title belts at WrestleMania 30, but the conquest ultimately provided an education in limits and the genuine dangers of ring battle.

With the amount of great matches by Daniel Bryan, it's hard to come up with a top ten. I'd like to share them, All and WWE...

Overall:

1. Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena. WWE SummerSlam 2013 *****.

2. Bryan Danielson vs. Takeshi Morishima, ROH Manhattan Mayhem II *****

3. Bryan Danielson/Samoa Joe/Adam Pearce/BJ Whitmer/Ace Steel/Homicide vs. Chris Hero/Necro Butcher/Claudio Castagnoli/Eddie Kingston/Nate Webb, ROH Death Before Dishonor IV *****

4. Bryan Danielson vs. KENTA, ROH Glory by Honor V: Night 2 *****

5. Daniel Bryan vs. Antonio Cesaro, WWE RAW, 22nd July 2013.

6. Daniel Bryan vs. Sheamus vs. Kane vs. Wade Barrett vs. Cody Rhodes vs. Heath Slater vs. Justin Gabriel vs. Sin Cara. WWE Money in the Bank 2011.

7. Daniel Bryan vs. Randy Orton vs. Batista. WWE WrestleMania XXX

8. Daniel Bryan vs. Sheamus. WWE Extreme Rules 2012

9. Daniel Bryan/Kane/Ryback vs. Dean Ambrose/Seth Rollins/Roman Reigns. WWE TLC 2012.

10. Bryan Danielson vs. Roderick Strong, ROH Vendetta 2005

Bryan Danielson vs. Roderick Strong, ROH Vendetta 2005

Bryan Danielson vs. James Gibson, ROH Glory by Honor IV

WWE:

1. Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena. WWE SummerSlam 2013 *****

2. Daniel Bryan vs. Antonio Cesaro, WWE RAW, 22nd July 2013.

3. Daniel Bryan vs. Sheamus vs. Kane vs. Wade Barrett vs. Cody Rhodes vs. Heath Slater vs. Justin Gabriel vs. Sin Cara. WWE Money in the Bank 2011.

4. Daniel Bryan vs. Randy Orton vs. Batista. WWE WrestleMania XXX.

5. Daniel Bryan vs. Sheamus. WWE Extreme Rules 2012.

6. Daniel Bryan/Kane/Ryback vs. Dean Ambrose/Seth Rollins/Roman Reigns. WWE TLC 2012.

7. Daniel Bryan vs. Randy Orton. WWE RAW, 24th June 2013.

8. Daniel Bryan vs. Bray Wyatt. WWE Royal Rumble 2014.

9. Daniel Bryan vs. Triple H. WWE WrestleMania XXX.

10. Daniel Bryan/The Undertaker/Kane vs. Dean Ambrose/Seth Rollins/Roman Reigns. WWE RAW, 22nd April 2013.

• Like 1

The post-RAW Wrestling Observer Radio is well worth your listen if, for no other reason, Meltzer's story about Red Bastien and Nick Bockwinkel watching Bryan at the 2001 King of the Indies and being wowed by his work (think about that for a moment — his first match was in the previous year)

Selfishly, I'm disappointed I won't be able to watch him wrestle anymore. Drove over four hours just to watch him wrestle Jushin Liger. He was the guy who kept me (often tenuously) tethered to wrestling when the Benoit murders and fallout nearly ended my lifelong passion for the sport. The guy was so damn good that, in an era where fans have been conditioned to crave non-stop action, he could work holds on the mat and had the crowd hooked

The dude became among the best at his craft. He was able to organically connect to the audience to the point so deeply that they hijacked shows and forced McMahon to change course and book WrestleMania 30 around him. He got to main event the biggest show of 2014 and celebrate live with 70,000-some-odd people. The sport he was passionate about led to him meeting the love of his life. He was lucky enough to have been tested again as he might be able to enjoy his later years without the ravages of CTE

Bryan was also fortunate enough to experience his own version of "It's a Wonderful Life" on Monday. He got say goodbye in front of a home crowd. His family was there with him. And he got to see just how much he meant to both the fans and seemingly everyone he ever worked with during his journey through wrestling

That's a HELL of an ending....

• Like 2

One of the first non-WWF/WCW wrestling shows I have seen was the very first ROH show "An Era of Honor Begins" in 2002, which was of course main evented by American Dragon vs. Low Ki vs. Christopher Daniels. My mind was completely blown. I thought I had just seen the best wrestling show of all time and one of the best wrestling matches of all time (still one of my favorites actually). Before that I would have called myself a wrestling fan, but watching this particular show probably turned me into a lifelong wrestling fan.

In 2005 I stopped watching WWE altogether and for the next three years I only watched the Indies and Puroresu until at some point in 2008 I stopped watching wrestling entirely, because I was just burnt out on it. There was one particular event that got me back into wrestling almost two years later. That was, when I heard WWE would launch a new show called NXT and Bryan Danielson would be on it. I haven't stopped watching wrestling ever since again.

So thanks for making me a wrestling fan twice, Bryan.

• Like 1

This is really getting a ridiculous amount of attention. One of the great "What Ifs" we'll ever have as wrestling fans is "what if DB didn't have to essentially retire after his big WM win?" We got to witness him finishing up his chase, which was so great to watch unfold. But we never got to see him defend and regain the title. He very much broke out to a mainstream audience and was arguably a few weeks away from becoming an actual celebrity.

But isn't that really the best ending. The loveable underdog finally accomplished the biggest win of his career and one of the biggest wins in the company. He beat arguably three future Hall of Famers in one night to win the prize the company tried to make sure he would not win. He outsmarted the "Cerebral Assassin" and then beat the man who the company chose to be the Face of the WWE.

What was left for Daniel Bryan? Assume the murder of Daniel Bryan by Brock Lesnar at SummerSlam was not in the cards, Daniel Bryan achieved everything he needed to. It was all downhill from there. Sure he could have repeated the journey but it wouldn't be as special as his first time. I liken it to Eddie Guerrero's title win. We know most of the reasons Eddie had to have to belt taken off of him but, assuming Eddie does not pass away, would his second reign have been as important as his first?

• Like 2