DVDVR Message Board

DANIEL BRYAN DUMPSTER FIRE THREAD

RIPPA

That's a great idea because one thing that makes wrestling so monotonous is that it never ends.  If there were short, alternating seasons like that, I'd be much more invested, knowing that they're building to something, as opposed to the endless cycle of just getting to the next week that we have now.  Oh look, Owens vs Ziggler again.

The question is, how do you limit dates and travel without having a large effect on the bottom line. First, I would create a number of home bases for Raws in Northeast wrestling hotbeds, such as NYC, Philly and DC.  You could still venture out but put more of an emphasis on these locales. You get the hot crowds and by staying local maybe you make the lives of the performers a little less taxing. My understanding is that tv is a money loser for WWE so why are they pushing to have Raws in random half-dead 3/4 filled arenas all over the country.

Second, start gradually cutting down on the number of house shows and and seeing what effect it has on demand. WWE does not sellout many  house shows. It still costs X amount to put on the show (pay for use of the arena, pay the performers, etc.). If you cut the number of house shows in half, can you increase attendance by 25%? If you can, can you make up the lost income? 

My idea in my head was to make four separate tours: Rumble, Mania, SummerSlam and Survivor Series.  Each tour, wrestlers earn points to get the the PPV of that tour, and winning those PPV matches gets you a ticket to Mania.  This could give wrestlers time to heal, they could cut back on some live tv without losing too much revenue, and would probably increase PPV revenue, as now the PPV's would hold some kind of importance.

Considering how many shows WWE can pull off whenever they  have most of the roster indisposed (usually for overseas events) it doesn't hold water.  They can either bring in more talent or figure out the logistics.  It's not that hard of a problem to solve, just takes resources, and WWE has them in spades.

• Like 2

Also, to contribute to the current conversation, I know WWE trainees use boxing headgear when training. I wonder if we could see headgear for talent on house shows. Or softer rings. Or anything to alleviate the constant punishment...

In his interview on ESPN tonight he said he's hidden post-concussion seizures.  That's...not good.

As someone on Wreddit pointed out, he might have had one during his last singles match with Sheamus. It happens right after Wade Barrett elbows him outside the ring.

https://youtu.be/zDZAQvc2pAE?t=2m9s

That is hard to watch. It also matches up time wise with him being protected in tag matches on the rest of that tour before eventually being sent home. That leg twitch looks SOOO bad.  I don't understand how no one noticed it at the time, because it's not exactly Bryan's go to sell and that was such an odd finish.

After seeing this, Monday night went from a really sad moment to a really happy one.  So thankful he is hanging it up.

Let me preface this by saying I don't watch WWE anymore, but follow the news, so I was curious, did Bryan do the flying headbutt in WWE? If so why wasn't it banned when the piledriver and other moves were? Did Bam bam suffer any long term effects of the move like the rest of them? Just curious. . . .

I've had that conversation with others as I've been watching old stuff, you see Harley, Bryan, Dynamite, Beniot, and those ilk destroying themselves with the Flying Headbutt, but you never heard or say Bam Bam or Barbarian having issues, but you have to watch how they land.  The smaller guys do the arms to the side falling type and land right on the head.  If you watch Bigelow or Barbie do it, and they always land arms first and the head impact is lessened.  That, and Bigelow and Barbarian were fucking huge and had thick necks.  So that might've helped too.  But yeah, I watched back to back shows of Dynamite and Barbarian doing Headbutts and there's a distinct difference in how they land.

I always thought the risk from the diving headbutt was more to your neck and for Daniel Bryan, it was the sheer volume of times he was taking bumps on his noggin. Remember the Austin podcast where Austin cautioned him on all the crazy shit he was doing, like the dives, corner attacks, etc.?