DVDVR Message Board

DANIEL BRYAN DUMPSTER FIRE THREAD

RIPPA

Brie finally got him to come to his senses that it's over and she doesn't want to see him spending his golden years in a wheelchair watching Seasme Street reruns on HBOGo

You say this as if it's a bad outcome. 

Taking from folks listening to the audio (so its 2nd hand)

Meltzer says he severely doubts this is a work and it appears that Bryan came to the decision on his own (possibly based on new information he got from tests done on Tuesday - this part is a little unclear based on what folks are tweeting)

The part about DB giving his notice and the WWE rejecting it is true

• Like 1

Meltzer:

I seriously doubt this is a swerve of any kind. Dr. Joseph Maroon was not going to clear him. It was an effective "no" for quite some time. Sometime back, when he was wanting to wrestle again (It would have been ROH & NJPW) two doctors cleared him (UCLA doc and Arizona Cardinals doc). Vince McMahon would not side against Maroon. Bryan asked for his release, Vince McMahon said no. Thursday before Royal Rumble, Daniel Bryan went to New York to have more tests done. Bryan will probably expand on that tonight. If you're really really smart, the testing methods they usually use for concussions, the rest of your brain can compensate and create new pathways and it over-rides the bad areas. Essentially you can beat the typical tests. The new test he had in New York is more thorough and checks all of the areas of the brain. Danielson found out about this test and decided it was what he needed. It shows different levels of damage and how the brain heals. The test was done the Thursday before the Rumble. He says that they'd need to do a test after a month and that the timing is odd. He got the results of the first test on January 28th. There was going to be more testing done. Maybe it scared him.

He also thinks this is Bryan's decision, not WWE's.

• Like 1

Meltzer:

I seriously doubt this is a swerve of any kind. Dr. Joseph Maroon was not going to clear him. It was an effective "no" for quite some time. Sometime back, when he was wanting to wrestle again (It would have been ROH & NJPW) two doctors cleared him (UCLA doc and Arizona Cardinals doc). Vince McMahon would not side against Maroon. Bryan asked for his release, Vince McMahon said no. Thursday before Royal Rumble, Daniel Bryan went to New York to have more tests done. Bryan will probably expand on that tonight. If you're really really smart, the testing methods they usually use for concussions, the rest of your brain can compensate and create new pathways and it over-rides the bad areas. Essentially you can beat the typical tests. The new test he had in New York is more thorough and checks all of the areas of the brain. Danielson found out about this test and decided it was what he needed. It shows different levels of damage and how the brain heals. The test was done the Thursday before the Rumble. He says that they'd need to do a test after a month and that the timing is odd. He got the results of the first test on January 28th. There was going to be more testing done. Maybe it scared him.

He also thinks this is Bryan's decision, not WWE's

Was Bryan or WWE paying for all the additional tests?

Similar to the situation with Punk, there was this long period where a thread was hanging. Where nobody knew exactly what was going on and it caused near constant speculation. I'm hoping either way, the speculation can finally end. 

The elephant in the room is wrestling, much like football is inherently dangerous and damaging to your body. Should an adult, fully aware of the risks be allowed to continue at his/her own will? Should wrestling even exist?

If every wrestler went under the scrutiny that Bryan has, I wonder how many wrestlers would have to retire.  

• Like 1

To add on to what Casey and RIPPA already mentioned, he did the new tests that Al Iaquinta and LAW MMA guys (which would explain why he was in New York) have been doing. Apparently, the results were not good. That's what he plans to "elaborate" on.

Similar to the situation with Punk, there was this long period where a thread was hanging. Where nobody knew exactly what was going on and it caused near constant speculation. I'm hoping either way, the speculation can finally end. 

The elephant in the room is wrestling, much like football is inherently dangerous and damaging to your body. Should an adult, fully aware of the risks be allowed to continue at his/her own will? Should wrestling even exist?

If every wrestler went under the scrutiny that Bryan has, I wonder how many wrestlers would have to retire.  

If I had to guess, it would be 90%. Some people have made mentions to not wanting to watch someone permanently hurt themselves for our entertainment, but I think the moment these guys step into the ring for the first time, and for others, it happens before then, they're already permanently injuring themselves to entertain us. We just don't have as much data on many of these guys like we do for Daniel Bryan.

Just heard Meltz's take on it and the new testing. I honestly wonder how many guys who have wrestled more than 6 or 7 years would pass that kind of extensive brain testing with flying colors.

Hell, I probably wouldn't pass that and I have "only" two (documented) concussions in my wrestling career.

• Like 1

I have a friend who's an independent wrestler and he had to retire due to concussion issues about a year ago.  He really wanted to "go out on his back" but there weren't many possibilities for a last match that wouldn't risk further damage.  Medical info on this sort of thing is a lot more visible nowadays and I'm sure WWE doesn't want to take any unnecessary chances.

Well, if this is a work (and that's looking less and less likely), a lot of folks are going to look pretty stupid.

And pissed the fuck off as well.   Right now the last thing this company needs is something like this just so the Authority can get cheap heat in Seattle

Put it this way: I wouldn't put money on it in either direction.

I think that's fair. I would feel pretty confidant on this being legit, but it being wrestling and all, speculation is the norm.