DVDVR Message Board

Gonzo

Not necessarily referencing any of these trades in particular, but I wonder how bad an NFL team would have to fuck up to institute a "Ted Stepian" rule, and how said rule would make all the NFL writers heads explode. . . .

9 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Call me crazy, but that seems like a massive win for Cleveland.   They can still get a Paxton Lynch in Round 2, and they can get a Ronnie Stanley or Tunsil at #8 overall so they can protect RG III and/or whoever they pick. 

Plus they get what's almost assured to be a Top 10 pick next year too. 

It's a good move, although a lot of Browns writers have been saying that grabbing an O Lineman and sticking him at RT after letting an established, above average RT leave in free agency would lessen the value of the trade. I think because of this, they may start taking calls on Joe Thomas so that if they do draft a blue chip tackle, at least they can maximize his value by playing him at LT. 

14 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Call me crazy, but that seems like a massive win for Cleveland.   They can still get a Paxton Lynch in Round 2, and they can get a Ronnie Stanley or Tunsil at #8 overall so they can protect RG III and/or whoever they pick. 

Plus they get what's almost assured to be a Top 10 pick next year too. 

With Goff/Wentz going 1-2, I don't think Lynch makes it out of the first round. I'd be surprised if he made it past the Jets, or even if the Jets didn't move up for him.

15 minutes ago, pipGofern said:

Man, when was the last time the defending champs took a QB in the first round?

Since the Merger? Never (unless I missed someone)

Twice a QB has been picked at #32 but not by a defending champ.

And just point of clarification - Denver is picking at 31 since the Pats don't have a #1

ESPN's coverage this year will be Berman, Gruden, Kiper and Louis Riddick

Mort will miss his first draft ever (due to his battle with throat cancer). ESPN will not replace him so the insider role will be just Adam Schefter (instead of Mort and Schefter).

ESPN has also agreed to not spoil the picks on Social Media this year (I know NFL Network did this last year - I don't remember what ESPN did)

So if you're the GM of your favorite team, what round would you select Notre Dame's injured star linebacker Jaylon Smith if he was available? Would you be comfortable even drafting him at all?  

About his injury: The torn ACL and LCL do not concern NFL decision-makers. But the nerve damage terrifies them. Smith stretched his peroneal nerve, which left him with a foot drop. That means he currently cannot pick up his left foot on his own. 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15357724/how-jaylon-smith-became-hopeful-mystery-2016-nfl-draft

The upside is if his nerves heal over the next year and he gets back to where he was, you have potentially a top three level talent for peanuts.  Obviously the downside is he never plays another down of football again.

Some talk of the Dolphins talking to Cleveland to get back up to #8 (their original pick) to take Zeke.  

Only problem is the Cowboys also really want him and it's a 50/50 gamble whether they take him or Joey Bosa. 

1 hour ago, Shadow said:

So if you're the GM of your favorite team, what round would you select Notre Dame's injured star linebacker Jaylon Smith if he was available? Would you be comfortable even drafting him at all?  

About his injury: The torn ACL and LCL do not concern NFL decision-makers. But the nerve damage terrifies them. Smith stretched his peroneal nerve, which left him with a foot drop. That means he currently cannot pick up his left foot on his own. 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15357724/how-jaylon-smith-became-hopeful-mystery-2016-nfl-draft

The upside is if his nerves heal over the next year and he gets back to where he was, you have potentially a top three level talent for peanuts.  Obviously the downside is he never plays another down of football again.

I'd probably take a 7th round flyer on him, certainly no higher than that. . . 

Yeah - a team with a lot of picks, especially late rounds will have the luxury of taking a flyer on him.

For example - the Niners have 12 picks and the Pats have 11. The Pats especially have enough flexibility to draft him

• Like 1

Just a couple of reminders for tonight

Please don't just post who teams are picking. We can all read the draft trackers (if we aren't watching)

Use spoiler tags if you are going to post what a non-ESPN, non-NFL Network is reporting the pick is going to be. (Jason Laconfora or Jay Glazer have - in the past - been the big pick spoilers since they don't work for the two Networks)

Do mock the Browns when they manage to fuck up... again