DVDVR Message Board

Android phone caught in a loop

RandomAct

Hi. My phone needed to run an update today, and I let it do so.  However, when it got to the part where it has to restart, it got caught in a loop.  It will show the power on screen for a minute or two, then say "Android is starting....optimizing app _ of 6".  It will get to 6, then reboot and keep doing the same process over and over again.  I am unable to power off the phone, nor can I remove the battery.  I let the battery die out, and turned it back on, thinking that would fix it, but the same thing occurs.  It's an HTC One A9.  Any advice that doesn't involve a factory reset would be much appreciated.

Hi. My phone needed to run an update today, and I let it do so.  However, when it got to the part where it has to restart, it got caught in a loop.  It will show the power on screen for a minute or two, then say "Android is starting....optimizing app _ of 6".  It will get to 6, then reboot and keep doing the same process over and over again.  I am unable to power off the phone, nor can I remove the battery.  I let the battery die out, and turned it back on, thinking that would fix it, but the same thing occurs.  It's an HTC One A9.  Any advice that doesn't involve a factory reset would be much appreciated.

I doubt there is anything that can be done outside of a hard reset. If you're worrying about losing data you should be able to connect it to your PC and backup your stuff before doing so.

Ok, I spoke with HTC and found that it was covered under warranty.  We created a ticket to have it sent in.  I decided to let the battery die out again.  Gave it a tiny bit of charge about 30 minutes later......and it's working again :huh:

Looks like it was a bad install on the system update it was doing.

Definitely sounds like a bad install. I would say that's pretty weird and uncommon for a real update (IE, not because you're flashing a rom). I could understand if the phone died in the middle of the update but for to just malfunction on its own? Odd. Maybe the phone was confused because it's running Android software but the device itself looks just like an iPhone (couldn't resist).

• Like 2