DVDVR Message Board

[TV] FEBRUARY 2016 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

So just how great is Horace and Pete?  80 year old Alan Alda is the best thing on television(well, it's not actually on TV, but you know what I mean.)  Steven Wright,Nick DaPaolo, Edie Falco, Steve Buschemi, Louis CK, a grotesque version of Jessica Lange.  What a cast.

"Don't forget to bring your fat daughter some elephant food."

"This place ain't racist.  We served coloreds here in the 30s.  Nobody would serve boogies in those days.  I got a picture of a nigger sitting right there in that stoop.  In 1930.  You look at that and call me a racist.  My father used to say, 'If niggers drink beer, then we're all niggers.' "

RE-watching some of The Chappelle Show. I know it's the Rick James/Wayne Brady stuff that tends to get remembered, but Dear God, Black Bush was one of the best comedy sketches ever made.

Seriously:There is not one line in that thing that is not fantastic.   

Black Bush is my favorite sketch.   Samuel L Jackson Beer and the World Series of Dice are very close seconds.

Clayton Bigsby was all I needed to see to know that I was going to watch every single episode.  That sketch was so well done, but it is not my favorite.  My favorite was the Kneehigh Park sketch.  When that puppet pulled his dick out, I damn near hyperventilated.  I don't think I've ever laughed that hard at anything in my entire life. 

Never knew about those deleted scenes, awesome.

RE-watching some of The Chappelle Show. I know it's the Rick James/Wayne Brady stuff that tends to get remembered, but Dear God, Black Bush was one of the best comedy sketches ever made.

Seriously:There is not one line in that thing that is not fantastic.   

Black Bush is my favorite sketch.   Samuel L Jackson Beer and the World Series of Dice are very close seconds.

I think I search out and catch the Samuel L. Jackson Beer segments at least 2-3 times year.

• Like 1

The fact that we've gone on this long without mentioning the Wayne Brady sketch goes to show you how incredible this show actually was.

"Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?" is one of the greatest lines in television history IMO

• Like 1

The fact that we've gone on this long without mentioning the Wayne Brady sketch goes to show you how incredible this show actually was.

"Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?" is one of the greatest lines in television history IMO

It's funny, but I think the real appeal of the show might have been the subtler but still equally hilarious moments.

Offended Mos Def when people think he's lying: "I got this special CIA napkin!"

And, yes, Charlie Murphy's weird, crazy night-vision stare. 

It's funny, but I think the real appeal of the show might have been the subtler but still equally hilarious moments.

DON'T DROP THAT SHIT~!

• Like 2

Oh, and "Hey Joe Rogan!" I wish someone in the Octagon would have said that to him just once.

Negrodamus always cracked me up too and when I only had the seasons on DVD, I could NEVER find the episode with that sketch on it.

I saw that Paul Mooney has a special up on Netflix, but I haven't checked it out yet. Anyone know if it's any good?

And, yes, Charlie Murphy's weird, crazy night-vision stare. 

To his credit, Mos Def was also great in the Gang Wars sketch. That letter was an underrated hallmark moment for the show. *brrrrrrrrrrrrrr*

The Gang Wars sketch also gave us, "Yeah, it was a tragedy!....Can you repeat the question?"

Anything with the Tough Crowd dudes like Patrice, Burr, and Vos was great. In addition to the Sam Jackson beer one with Burr, you got the Law and Order sketch.

"And then his wife put her titties in my hand, your honor."

The entire Hater's Ball sketch was gold. GOLD I SAY!

"That nigga got dolphin teeth"

"She wears underwear with dick holes in them"

• Like 2

AHAHAHA

My friends and I constantly quote "DON'T. DROP. THAT. SHIT!"

I have no idea why but the whole Black Bush saying SHUT THE FUCK UP into individual press mics always makes me laugh until my side hurts.

So yeah, best sketch comedy show in the history of TV. Nothing comes close to the brilliance packed into each and every episode. Even little things like the quick GTA 3 interstitial where Dave leaves his home and carjacks someone GTA style crack me up today.

When keeping it real goes wrong.

Everything is better in slow motion.

Homestenographer.

Nothing comes close.

I think of all the Chappelle Alumnus I miss Anthony Berry the most. He had so many great one offs. "DON'T DROP THAT SHIT!" is just the tip of the iceberg... hell in the same skit he also had the "CRADLE OF CIVILZATION!". He also had "Fuck right I'm a Doctor!", "C'Mon BITCH LEMME HOLLA AT YA!" and i nthe same failed sjkit just him saying "Holla" over and over agaon... God I haven't seen him since the show ended

James

Bryan Fuller will be the showrunner for the new Star Trek on CBS

http://io9.gizmodo.com/hannibals-bryan-fuller-is-producing-the-new-star-trek-t-1758068994

I think Fuller's exceptionally talented, but I'd think twice before handing him a mainstream show like this.  There are about 100 ways this could go wrong very quickly. 

Although, honestly, I'm all for him keeping too busy to make more Hannibal.  Loved season 1, liked season 2, felt like season 3 was an avante garde student art film that went on for a year straight.

Wonder if the suits will sit him down and explain to him that Star Trek shows generally work better if the main characters are likable people and not borderline sociopaths.

Bryan Fuller will be the showrunner for the new Star Trek on CBS

http://io9.gizmodo.com/hannibals-bryan-fuller-is-producing-the-new-star-trek-t-1758068994

I think Fuller's exceptionally talented, but I'd think twice before handing him a mainstream show like this. There are about 100 ways this could go wrong very quickly.

Although, honestly, I'm all for him keeping too busy to make more Hannibal. Loved season 1, liked season 2, felt like season 3 was an avante garde student art film that went on for a year straight.

Wonder if the suits will sit him down and explain to him that Star Trek shows generally work better if the main characters are likable people and not borderline sociopaths.

Fuller was a writer on DEEP SPACE NINE.

He knows Trek.