DVDVR Message Board

[TV] FEBRUARY 2016 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Sarah Paulsen is gonna need more shelf space for the shit she's gonna win for playing Marsha Clark...

Sarah Paulsen and Courtney B. Vance should get nominated for all types of shit, every other person on the show is actively terrible. 

Sarah Paulsen is gonna need more shelf space for the shit she's gonna win for playing Marsha Clark...

Sarah Paulsen and Courtney B. Vance should get nominated for all types of shit, every other person on the show is actively terrible. 

This,  Wife and I watched the pilot last night and thought Vance was good, Paulsen was fine, and everyone else was in chew scenery mode.  Except Gooding, who mostly played OJ as if he was trying to shake off a heavy dose of tranquilizers.

Some amazingly bad hair choices going on in this. 

Wife was mesmerized by John Travolta's... whatever.  Makeup?  Mask?  When plastic surgeons attack?   He looks like he's wearing one of those real-life people masks bank robbers buy.  Did he think he got a part in Point Break?

Honestly, I thought the first episode was mostly bland.  I was kinda bored.

This,  Wife and I watched the pilot last night and thought Vance was good, Paulsen was fine, and everyone else was in chew scenery mode.  Except Gooding, who mostly played OJ as if he was trying to shake off a heavy dose of tranquilizers.

Wait, you think Cuba Gooding was underacting?  Cuba Gooding's OJ is impossible to take seriously.  OJ during the trial was super stoic, and Cuba Gooding decided that he was going to play him like he played that scene at Nia Long's house after Ricky died. 

I'm just surprised that Andre Braugher isn't in it. It seems like he has a stipulation in his contract that he must be cast in every crime/courtroom drama that features a black lawyer, cop, detective or judge.

I'm just surprised that Andre Braugher isn't in it. It seems like he has a stipulation in his contract that he must be cast in every crime/courtroom drama that features a black lawyer, cop, detective or judge.

Except, Johnny Cochran and Chris Darden are the single best castings I can remember.  That dude who plays Chris Darden looks exactly like him down to the ashy ass lips.

Wife was mesmerized by John Travolta's... whatever.  Makeup?  Mask?  When plastic surgeons attack?   He looks like he's wearing one of those real-life people masks bank robbers buy. 

da1dc8be17fe6b82f80bc78ee5c4856a.jpg
  • Like 1

We finally have character crossover in The Expanse!

They finally introduced the protomolecule from the books, but it acts like a zombie virus for some reason.  RIP Julie Mao. :(

Are you behind? I've been waiting to see your thoughts on the finale.

They finally introduced the protomolecule from the books, but it acts like a zombie virus for some reason.  RIP Julie Mao. :(

I have to finish watching the second half the two-ep finale and I will be all caught up.  Doing that tonight.

The Expanse for me is what Game of Thrones for everyone else.  I don't know who half the people are on any given episode, but I'm still utterly fascinated by it.  I have no idea how the old Indian lady factors into the story.  I don't know why Cutty from The Wire seems to be a big deal.  Where the hell did Miller's (male) partner go?  He got impaled, somehow survived, and then hooked up with his prostitute girlfriend.  Is that the end of his story arc?  Why wouldn't he want his fine assed (female) partner to go with him to that station?  Isn't she in danger sticking around when she killed a couple of thugs to save his ass?  The police chief is clearly in the thugs pocket, and she's supposed to go to work every day knowing that she put a couple of those dudes down? 

The minor issue I have with The Expanse is the GoT-ish metaplot with entities squabbling amongst themselves while unchecked threat devours the solar system.

The saving grace being that the socio-economic politics are so real world reflective that it is incredible and very sobering.  It is very telling that prosperity for Earth as a planet came when they pretty much offloaded the working classes to the Asteroid Belt.

You do know the books the Expanse is based on are (co-)written by GRRM's personal assistant, right? 

Which goes back to my beef with the books.   The metaplot influence is painfully obvious.

Watched the double ep / season finale of The Expanse before the Big Game.

I found the big reveal of the amoral organization testing the protomolecule in the belt to be a bit cliché and dripping in the usual dystopian sci-fi tropes, but at least it is in line with the novels. 

Finally, all of Christian's political wrangling on Earth is tying into the overall plot and she is now more than just some scheming old biddy trying to feather her nest.  I've read most of the books so I wasn't surprised to find out that Julie's father was behind the whole thing.

I would've like to have seen a whole week devoted to Julie Mao, but I think that the stuff they showed properly conveyed her bravery and commitment.  She suddenly became more than a one dimensional muse.  The room was quite dusty when the tragedy of her lonely death was finally revealed and the ignobility of the experimentation on her corpse made me quite angry.

Miller and Holden not getting along was pretty awesome as was Filat Kothari and the spy getting what was coming to them.

I think that Amos has suddenly become the most interesting character on the show now that he's gone from lunkhead bully mechanic to unfeeling and trigger happy social Darwinist in no time flat. 

I like the effect that has on Naomi.  I really hated her using Amos to intimidate Alex and Holden.  Made her seem like a spoiled kid that was only concerned with getting her way.  She used to be quite the smug asshole, but now that Amos has gone from flunkie to psycho terminator, she has no clue where she stands with Amos or what will happen if she crosses him.

I think that Amos has suddenly become the most interesting character on the show now that he's gone from lunkhead bully mechanic to unfeeling and trigger happy social Darwinist in no time flat.

To be fair they seemed to have been hinting for a while now he has more than one or two screws loose. That last episode just illustrated how far it goes.

Watching two new series

Animals: I'm not completely sold on yet.  It's an animated comedy about hipster animals in NYC.  Really bizarre.  The first episode is about rats at a party.  Lots of celebrity voices: Mark Duplass, Katie Aselton, Jason Mantzoukas, Rob Corrdry, Paul Scheer (Basically all folks from 'The League' which makes sense as Duplass and his brother are producers).  It's really dry, but occasionally pretty funny.

Baskets: Which I am head over heels for.  Starring Zach Galifianakis as a clown trying to get by in Bakersfield, CA.  He was trained classically as a clown at a France-based clown school, but finds himself working rodeos in Bakersfield.  Louis Anderson plays his mother...yes, you read that correctly.  But the real stand-out/scene-stealer is Martha Kelly as an insurance agent who becomes friends?/possibly has a crush on/maybe just really nice with Galifianakis' character.  She has this incredible deadpan delivery and finds herself in the most silly/unusual scenarios, whether it be feeling bad that her boss might have to fire her because her boss will be depressed if she does, or when she takes in a stray and it starts destroying her house.  It's really weird, really weird, so I can't imagine it lasting very long, but I think it's absolutely hilarious.

RE-watching some of The Chappelle Show. I know it's the Rick James/Wayne Brady stuff that tends to get remembered, but Dear God, Black Bush was one of the best comedy sketches ever made.

Seriously:There is not one line in that thing that is not fantastic.