DVDVR Message Board

[TV] FEBRUARY 2016 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

So apparently people are losing their mind over that Grease Live special from yesterday.

All I know is that apparently they performed in a monsoon and apparently Vanessa Hudgens crushed her performance just hours after her dad had passed away from cancer.

So apparently people are losing their mind over that Grease Live special from yesterday.

All I know is that apparently they performed in a monsoon and apparently Vanessa Hudgens crushed her performance just hours after her dad had passed away from cancer.

The opening took place in the rain but everything else was indoors and it looks like the rain had stopped by the closing number. We thought it was great- a very pleasant surprise. Hudgens crushing it like that after her dad passed was just amazing on so many levels.

I watched parts of Grease Live last night and Hudgens performance was the only thing that stood out to me. The rest of the Pink Ladies were way to over the top and the guy who played Danny came off to "Broadway" to me. At least they had a Rizzo and Kinicki who were not pushing 40 like the movie. Eve Plum played the auto shop teach and she totally had a Ann B. Davis vibe going on, maybe she can take over the Alice role in the eventual Brady Bunch reboot.

I work in tv\video production and I'm always super impressed at the quality of these live muscials, they're so much harder to do than live sports or something like SNL.

I am not quite sure why anyone would want to debut a show on April 1

I am also not quite sure why anyone would want to blatantly rip off Cullen Bunn's brilliant comic book The Sixth Gun and cram its basic premise into an ill-fitting modern setting on Syfy.

I always feel the same way when I see commercials for "Once Upon A Time" and realize we'll probably never get a proper adaption of Bill Willingham's genius Fables because it's already been repackaged and Disneyfied for a major network.

Pretty ill at the moment so I watched the entire first season of Mad Dogs on Amazon Prime yesterday. It is pretty damn awesome. I'm not sure what's up with Shawn Ryan and using dog-related names for his TV shows, but I hope this gets a second season.

I always feel the same way when I see commercials for "Once Upon A Time" and realize we'll probably never get a proper adaption of Bill Willingham's genius Fables because it's already been repackaged and Disneyfied for a major network.

ABC and NBC both at one point had it in development, and both ultimately passed, yet we wound up with Once Upon and Grimm...

• Like 1

Fables really falls apart after the war anyway and basically feels like 100 issues of epilogue. This bugged me a lot more a few years ago than it does now. Once doesn't always make the best creative choices but it makes so much more sense for Disney to play up their actual characters than Willingham's versions of them.

I watched parts of Grease Live last night and Hudgens performance was the only thing that stood out to me. The rest of the Pink Ladies were way to over the top and the guy who played Danny came off to "Broadway" to me. At least they had a Rizzo and Kinicki who were not pushing 40 like the movie. Eve Plum played the auto shop teach and she totally had a Ann B. Davis vibe going on, maybe she can take over the Alice role in the eventual Brady Bunch reboot.

I work in tv\video production and I'm always super impressed at the quality of these live muscials, they're so much harder to do than live sports or something like SNL.

Speaking of older folks, we also got a kick out of them bringing back Didi Cohn/Frenchie and Barry Pearl/Doody from the original movie.

I played Putzie in our high school play (because of course I did) way back when and this is bringing back all sorts of wacky memories. We're going to rent the movie this weekend. :)

Pretty ill at the moment so I watched the entire first season of Mad Dogs on Amazon Prime yesterday. It is pretty damn awesome. I'm not sure what's up with Shawn Ryan and using dog-related names for his TV shows, but I hope this gets a second season.

I've been watching this lately, and I'm only up to episode 7, but to this point, I agree that it's been very, very good. I'm not ready to put it on the same level as THE SHIELD or TERRIERS, but it's very much a Shawn Ryan show, in that all the shenanigans are just a backdrop for the friendships to play out on. Although "friends" might be a stretch for these guys. Still, nobody writes Dudes Working Shit Out like Ryan.

I feel like this is a breakthrough role for Romany Malco.

I won't be at all outraged when Amazon buys it all the Golden Globes next year.

What's with Ryan's terrible horrible no good very bad titles, anyway? They never reflect what the hell a show is supposed to be about. Terriers and Mad Dogs sound like they're about, well, DOGS and say nothing about the concept of the show. The Chicago Code sounds like an Asylum ripoff of a Dan Brown novel. Last Resort doesn't even remotely imply "the crew of a rogue nuclear submarine is on the run from a corrupt government". And let's never forget that he originally wanted The Shield to be called THE BARN, which is pretty much the single worst fucking title I can possibly imagine for a gritty urban cop thriller.

I had no idea that Shawn Ryan was involved with Last Resort. 

Seems like something they might have wanted to mention in the hopes of attracting a few more viewers.  Oh well, the show had all the viewers it needed and enjoyed a long and successful run.

Right?

There was so much wrong with how ABC handled LAST RESORT.

CHICAGO CODE was originally titled "Ride Along" and was supposed to be more of a high-concept show that was allegedly going to "put you in the car" with police. But, unfortunately, they were developing that show at the same time everyone in America was discovering THE WIRE and going crazy over it, so FOX was like, "NO! MAKE THE WIRE: CHICAGO." It did not go well.

MAD DOGS made sense for the British version, but once you bring it over here and change the leads from Englishmen to Americans...well, the song isn't "Mad Dogs & Americans." So the title ends up being nonsense.

Jesus, yeah, Last Resort.

I'm glad EVA's in on Mad Dogs. It's really fucking great and the way the story unfolds is pretty awesome. I have no idea how they even do a second season, but I'm hoping there will be one. Agreed on Romany Malco too. He was king sized. Also, this feels weird to say, but Steve Zahn was pretty great too. Everyone just does such a good job and you forget at times that "Christuphuh" is supposed to be the star.

Where do we discuss that ridiculous O.J. show?  I can't be the only one who watched it right?  David Schwimmer as Robert Kardashian is one of the best/worst acting jobs of all time.  John Travolta is wearing a John Travolta mask.  Cuba Gooding Jr.'s version of O.J. makes me wonder how O.J. had any friends.  Robert Kardashian realizes that he doesn't know why he's O.J.'s friend in every single scene. 

You know how when you're watching something on Tivo, and when it ends your TV starts showing whatever is actually on at that point? Well, BBC1 starts simulcasting BBC News 24 overnight, and the other night I dropped in halfway through this:

And it was really interesting. Didn't even know he was in the country.