DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] FEBRUARY 2016 DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I read in the Sunday Times magazine, their culture gossip guy said he talked to a bunch of Academy voters, and they said they never even watched Straight Outta Compton because it 'supports crime'. The writer pointed out the hypocrisy of thinking Bonnie and Clyde is a classic but not watching Straight Outta Compton because of crime (which isn't actually about criminality, so much as about people escaping a criminal situation). He then said the 'Oscars ugliness is as much about age  and the ossification of taste as it is about race'.

"It supports crime", oh MAN that's a good one. Because Midnight Cowboy, The Godfather, The Sting, Godfather part 2, The Silence of the Lambs, Unforgiven, Braveheart, Chicago, The Departed, no criminals here!

I think the problem here is that white people in Hollywood can't openly say that they openly support white criminality or white anti-establishment laced with decadence and a high level of competence, and that they have a problem showing black people in that light. If Johnny Depp didn't say he didn't want an Oscar for Black Mass and basically doesn't give shit about competition, they would make it to where you're allowed to give out a rusty trombone on live television.

They will support a black person on the ground level of crime like an Alonzo Harris who is villain from beginning to end. However, if Denzel's character from Power was actually the main character as an extremely more complex character, they wouldn't support that shit. They will fucking burn whole Hollywood studios down before they do that.

It you had a black Wolf of Wall Street or American Hustle, people would freak out. It would be easy for execs to say, "How are people going to relate to this/the characters?".  They're not going to be even released in theaters, let alone garner enough support and attention to win awards. So everything even remotely close to that is going to star 50 Cent or The Game or some other pseudo black celeb who can't act to save their life before being relegated to your dollar store DVD bin. An absolutely atrocious movie like Shottas is suppose to be the actual Scarface for black people. That's how Hollywood perceives black people being worthy of those roles.

• Like 2

The rural Midwest is full of white trash.

I'm from rural Midwest. Nothing rang false to me in the dialogue.

I'm not a huge fan of his Halloween, but I don't hate it either. It has interesting ideas, but would have been worlds better if it wasn't a remake of Halloween.

Zeidler is so right about Central Illinois. Go to a shithole like Danville or Decatur (which literally smells awful) and you'll think you drove across the border to Indiana. 

At the same time that dialogue is ludicrous. Maybe the worst thing about that Halloween is Malcolm McDowell's performance though, sadly. I love Devil's Rejects and have a grudging respect for Lords of Salem and 1000 Corpses, but that damn remake...

That's because you're in Connecticut. Shit, southern Jersey is all mudders and Confederate flags outside of Camden and Shore Towns.

It's called South Jersey, no one says southern Jersey.

As this viral map shows, there's a wealth of different people in NJ.

Pwnf4-e1323285987110.jpg?w=600&h=0&zc=1&

• Like 1

Zeidler is so right about Central Illinois. Go to a shithole like Danville or Decatur (which literally smells awful) and you'll think you drove across the border to Indiana.

At the same time that dialogue is ludicrous. Maybe the worst thing about that Halloween is Malcolm McDowell's performance though, sadly. I love Devil's Rejects and have a grudging respect for Lords of Salem and 1000 Corpses, but that damn remake...

Holy shit. One of my best friends moved to Decatur from middle school to sophomore year of high school when he moved back. He has also said Decatur stinks... And is haunted, fwiw.

I don't know what giant processing plant is over in Decatur but just driving by that place on the highway, you get a smell like it has three paper mills running at once in it. Meanwhile Danville is only shitty because it's the worst rednecks of Indiana combined with the worst former residents of Cabrini Green in Chicago. The crime rates in both cities says a lot.

Then again, I grew up in Southern Illinois (Marion/Carbondale) so none of this is news to me. Beautiful area, but living there will make you want to suck on an exhaust pipe. 

Better or worse than Peoria reeking of ethanol every weekend? (Is that still a thing?)

Getting the thread back on track, I'd forgotten how fucking funny Nine to Five was. Obviously dated in points but it still holds up really well. You could use the "sexist, egotistical, lying, hypocritical bigot" line on any of the GOP candidates, and Dabney Coleman is such an awesome stooging bad guy.

• Like 1

I watched Barry Lyndon for the first time, and it's now my favorite Kubrick film. It's completely gorgeous and hypnotic. I seriously would get some of those establishing shots framed for my home. It's been criticized at times for being cold and removed from its characters and story, but I was so overwhelmed by what a technical masterpiece it was I may need to see it again to confirm if that's valid for me. It also displays Kubrick's uncanny ability to choose perfect pieces of music for every single scene.

Better or worse than Peoria reeking of ethanol every weekend? (Is that still a thing?)

Getting the thread back on track, I'd forgotten how fucking funny Nine to Five was. Obviously dated in points but it still holds up really well. You could use the "sexist, egotistical, lying, hypocritical bigot" line on any of the GOP candidates, and Dabney Coleman is such an awesome stooging bad guy.

The book is a hundred times better.

Damn, I forgot about Peoria. I, my friends, and some random local dude got jumped by gangbangers at a gas station there before going to a punk show at a VFW hall. My friend Amanda's face blew up twice the size and all purple but she toughed it out and played anyway. The cops said "we can arrange beatdowns" about them, of course, probably just because we were all white. Thankfully the bartender gave me free drinks all night, and they also had a gal doing some sweet R&B crooning in the bar while the punks played on the other side of the wall. 

ANYWAY. BP, if you liked Barry Lyndon, definitely check out The Duellists by Ridley Scott. I've raved enough about that here before but get to it. 

• Like 1

My GF and I watched this movie with my Mom a couple weeks back. I thought I had seen it, but I think I may have only ever caught a couple of the dream sequences. Neither my mom or my GF had seen it. We all laughed our asses off, and realized that while some things have changed (and not always for the better, like the idea of having a paid lunch break) so much was still applicable today.

Mom is also a huge fan of Grace and Frankie.

Decatur is the soy city - it's ADM processing soybeans into what have you. If the wind is right you can actually pick it up in Western Champaign, 35 miles away.

Speaking of Champaign, be careful today. I have a friend who lives there and he was saying it's supposed to be terrible, which is the same shit here.