DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

The "intergender controversy" is basically "Dave and Bryan don't like girls wrestling guys on Lucha Underground"

Too be fair - there a couple other people who carry on about it too (Bix being a big one) but yeah it really flared up because of LU

Bix is a joke. He has a problem with a worked match between men and women (all parties agreeing to the match), but  he has no issue not outing the known racists within the business who are actively working from within to keep racist gimmicks alive and well in the 21st century? The guys morals are really off. Fantasy gets a long easy, but reality gets swept under the rug? The guy is full of shit.

What's this part about? 

Bix released something from the WCW lawsuits a while ago and he purposefully excluded the name(s?) of the people being accused of racism as that person(s?) may or may not worked for the WWE at the time of Bix's posting. Instead of being a good journalist and doing the right thing to let people know who is who and what is what, he decided to protect these people. Racism is real and actually impacts the bottom line in a company. Look how Muslims have been portrayed in WWE and there has been no black WWE champion (the WCW world title doesn't count as it was considered secondary for the 'B' brand for some time for what reason? What about the rampant sexism in WWE? There are so many issues within pro wrestling that people like the ones listed in the lawsuit should be named so the company can perhaps be forced to knowledge and change instead of keeping 'the good ole boys' club together and thriving for more generations to come. Bix is a coward plain and simple and its not just him. I don't respect any journalist that does that, who has zero spine and is all about protecting people who are doing wrong. Instead of being a force for change, he is now a silent collaborator, and silent collaborators usually agree with the stuff they turn their heads from.

Re: Bryan

WWE can easily make him a commentator for NXT. He will get to call matches featuring Joe, Balor, Zayn, Crews, and tons of other guys he worked with and plus the crowd will not 'high-jack' the show. If WWE puts him as any featured ringside guest/commentator for the main show and its going to be 'Daniel Bryan' chants all night. WWE would have to edit the auto of every Roman Reigns match.

• Like 3

Well that's the problem.  It doesn't matter what his doctors say.  WWE's own doctor says he shouldn't wrestle.  I'm not a lawyer but 20 years from now when he's in a wheelchair like Dynamite Kid and decides to sue, it's going to be hard to defend if they waive their contracted physician's diagnosis and let him come back. 

I wouldn't let him come back.  He's already shown to have piss-poor judgment regarding his own health.

Actually it was the WWE that showed piss poor judgment when they let him fly overseas, and work matches after the concussion occurred.

There is no point in having Bryan on shows if he can't do anything physical at all. I was at the Raw after SS14 where he came back to run the show for the night, and even in the post show stuff they wouldn't let him do anything even kind of physical. Not even push someone. Unless you make it very clear he's retired and never coming back, putting him on the shows in a non-wrestling role (which is also completely against his strengths as a performer) is just going to seem like a big tease.

http://csrwrestling.com/korderas-reality-check-on-daniel-bryan/

Putting it out there before someone else does.

If it's dangerous for him to return to the ring, then he shouldn't. Whether he himself believes that is another matter.

Are there really people who think they intentionally don't clear him, because he's too over?

I've never heard that one before, at least not on this board.

I do. It's not like he couldn't be an announcer or in some other non-physical role. I truly believe it's because he's more over than Vince's pet project.

That they aren't using Bryan in any capacity is odd.  Like, why isn't the dude at the performance center right now?  He doesn't want to teach, sure, but you have one of the best wrestlers of all time under contract.  MAKE HIM TEACH!  

Or give him some role where he doesn't have to wrestle.  Yes, it's against his strengths, but so what?  It's not like he is weak in the areas required for an non-contact role.  Hell, debut some young technical guy with Bryan as his manager or ANYTHING really.  

Even if you wanted to keep him off TV so he doesn't overshadow Roman (what else could it be?), there is no reason for him to be doing absolutely nothing.

That they aren't using him in any capacity is odd. Like, why isn't the dude at the performance center right now? He doesn't want to teach, sure, but you have one of the best wrestlers of all time under contract. MAKE HIM TEACH!

After reading his book, I think he is more than capable of this, but I don't think he would want to. He never seemed happy in that role in other places.

There is absolutely no reason for him to be doing nothing.

So that he's not doing SOMETHING for another promotion?

That explains why you keep him under contract, but it doesn't explain why you wouldn't use him in some capacity.  

Unless he is just flat out saying no, the only logical reason not to be doing something with him right now is if you actually do plan on bringing him back in a wrestling role.  I honestly think it is more likely than some of you are making it sound. 

• Like 1

In his book, Bryan goes at great lengths to explain that he's a pretty poor teacher, despite two stints as a trainer (APW and ROH, if memory serves), and he doesn't really seem to enjoy the job, save for getting to train all the time, himself.

He also talks about how ill at ease he is talking to crowds, whether it be doing interviews or press conferences, so there is the possibility that he told WWE that he'd really rather not be a recurring/non-wrestling character.

The "intergender controversy" is basically "Dave and Bryan don't like girls wrestling guys on Lucha Underground"

Too be fair - there a couple other people who carry on about it too (Bix being a big one) but yeah it really flared up because of LU

Bix is a joke. He has a problem with a worked match between men and women (all parties agreeing to the match), but  he has no issue not outing the known racists within the business who are actively working from within to keep racist gimmicks alive and well in the 21st century? The guys morals are really off. Fantasy gets a long easy, but reality gets swept under the rug? The guy is full of shit.

What's this part about? 

Bix released something from the WCW lawsuits a while ago and he purposefully excluded the name(s?) of the people being accused of racism as that person(s?) may or may not worked for the WWE at the time of Bix's posting. Instead of being a good journalist and doing the right thing to let people know who is who and what is what, he decided to protect these people. Racism is real and actually impacts the bottom line in a company. Look how Muslims have been portrayed in WWE and there has been no black WWE champion (the WCW world title doesn't count as it was considered secondary for the 'B' brand for some time for what reason? What about the rampant sexism in WWE? There are so many issues within pro wrestling that people like the ones listed in the lawsuit should be named so the company can perhaps be forced to knowledge and change instead of keeping 'the good ole boys' club together and thriving for more generations to come. Bix is a coward plain and simple and its not just him. I don't respect any journalist that does that, who has zero spine and is all about protecting people who are doing wrong. Instead of being a force for change, he is now a silent collaborator, and silent collaborators usually agree with the stuff they turn their heads from.

Wouldn't the information be something where the strongest words would be unspoken? I mean, if what we know is "People were accused of racism in the WCW lawsuits (around 1999-2000), and at the time of this they might have been current WWE employees."

After this long of time since the WCW purchase, enough time has gone that people probably can do the math of what people are still around with WCW experience in or out of the ring and put two and two together.

I don't think that is enough. Bix mentioned that the person is a HOF and works behind the scenes, so I concluded that it is Arn Anderson, however sly mentions is not enough. Pro wrestling is a scummy business and has been for  along time and we are all not surprised in the least when WWE is accused of not being progressive in certain aspects of its business, I think its time for this to change. One of the ways for this to change is to call out those who are working in WWE and creating that type of culture. This isn't just with WWE, but every wrestling promotion because it all filters down now. I know its a small step, but I'm just surprised at the OMG ITS INTERGENDER MATCHES~! when it comes to viewing fantasy juxtaposed to the 'slide-under-the-rug' mentality when dealing with and talking about real life.

Everytime Daniel Bryan's health gets brought up, I feel compelled to point out that they just recently gave Tommy Dreamer, a man who publicly spoke about his brain damage issues, a month-long run.

Also, Dave and Bryan decided to give Jim Cornette an hour to spout about how much he hates Lucha Underground and the business, and Cornette is absolutely so full of shit. You can tell that the only thing he's literally seen of the promotion was a highlight video of the upcoming season. The only spot he could even mention was Joey Ryan doing one of his world's strongest dick spots that hasn't even happened on television yet, and the fact that the reason the spot is over is because it got more worldwide exposure and got talked about more than anything Cornette's ever done in the business.

Cornette's whole idea is that the reason wrestling isn't as over as it was in the past is because people don't believe it's "real". When that hasn't been the case since he was a child. 

• Like 4

I tried that Cornette podcast a few times, I tend to think you have to hear something a few times to get used to it, but I had to cut it off. It really was terrible. Between the antiquated wrestling views and the political discussion that encompasses "IF I YELL LOUD ENOUGH, I HAVE TO BE RIGHT", I couldn't take it. 

• Like 2