DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Watching the above Cesaro vid made me think, all these injuries might not be the worst thing to happen long term for WWE. If, and I appreciate its a massive IF, they handle the returns of Cena, Rollins, Cesaro et all correctly it could really shake things up and do good business.

Depending on when and how he returns Cesaro could get a massive ovation and seem like a big deal.

Of course now he will return in a mixed tag match on Main event.

• Like 1

So I brought this up in the photo thread and then it came up here, as far as wrestlers that have a face you just want to punch, and I think it helps get heels over. In this thread for modern times the Miz and Bo Dallas were mentioned, excellent choices. In the other thread I mentioned Jacques Rougeau. But for me, the #1 hall of famer in this category is Bruce Pritchard as Brother Love. Never before in my life or since did I want to slap someone in the face that bad.  

So I brought this up in the photo thread and then it came up here, as far as wrestlers that have a face you just want to punch, and I think it helps get heels over. In this thread for modern times the Miz and Bo Dallas were mentioned, excellent choices. In the other thread I mentioned Jacques Rougeau. But for me, the #1 hall of famer in this category is Bruce Pritchard as Brother Love. Never before in my life or since did I want to slap someone in the face that bad.

Tully

Even while injured, Cesaro is still the most over wrestler on the roster:

It's funny to think back to all those cheap suits he used to wear as Claudio and now how good he looks in suits now.  You'd really wish he'd slip John Cena his tailor's info when they work out or something.

• Like 2

I was too young to understand who Brother Love was mocking when he came around back in 88 (the Jimmy Swaggerts/Jim Baker's of the world) but it really amazes me the WWE never tried to do it again in the 2000's with the rise of the MEGA Churches. A Joel Osteen type would be such an amazing faction leader. He wouldn't have to be outright religious, but you could know who he was mocking with speaking styles and stuff.

So I brought this up in the photo thread and then it came up here, as far as wrestlers that have a face you just want to punch, and I think it helps get heels over. In this thread for modern times the Miz and Bo Dallas were mentioned, excellent choices. In the other thread I mentioned Jacques Rougeau.But for me, the #1 hall of famer in this category is Bruce Pritchard as Brother Love. Never before in my life or since did I want to slap someone in the face that bad.

I was too young to understand who Brother Love was mocking when he came around back in 88 (the Jimmy Swaggerts/Jim Baker's of the world) but it really amazes me the WWE never tried to do it again in the 2000's with the rise of the MEGA Churches. A Joel Osteen type would be such an amazing faction leader. He wouldn't have to be outright religious, but you could know who he was mocking with speaking styles and stuff.

Don Callis would have been perfect for that. I wish he wouldn't have been released and actually ended up as the Higher Power.

The 2000s versions were, I think, a little under a lot of people's radars.  The 80s version was such a weird pop-culture phenomenon once the Jim Baker scandals hit the tabloids.  I mean, Jessica Hahn essentially became a star for awhile out of it.

It was also so much gaudier.  They were building theme parks and stuff.  Then it got, like more efficient and corporate and careful, maybe?

Weirdly 80s televangelism commpared to 2000s telvangelism is a lot like 80s WWF vs. 2000s WWE.

• Like 1

Watching this Daniel Bryan's Greatest Moments on WWE Network. And I know it's probably been discussed to death by others but....  watching his return at Summerslam vs. Nexus.   What a fucking waste that angle was.  Now, I don't pretend that David Otunga or Michael Tarver were going to be stars, but fuck what a hot, exciting angle that was in a pool of complete and utter monotony that the WWE has been the last 10+ years.  With Wade Barrett as the leader, he along with Justin Gabriel, the Ryback, and maybe even Heath Slater or Darren Young could have gotten over so much more than they did.  Their sum was definitely greater than that of their parts.  You had this group of 7 guys who may have been green but at least felt like new blood to the show and had a storyline behind their respective characters.  How do you mess that up?

Watching this Daniel Bryan's Greatest Moments on WWE Network. And I know it's probably been discussed to death by others but....  watching his return at Summerslam vs. Nexus.   What a fucking waste that angle was.  Now, I don't pretend that David Otunga or Michael Tarver were going to be stars, but fuck what a hot, exciting angle that was in a pool of complete and utter monotony that the WWE has been the last 10+ years.  With Wade Barrett as the leader, he along with Justin Gabriel, the Ryback, and maybe even Heath Slater or Darren Young could have gotten over so much more than they did.  Their sum was definitely greater than that of their parts.  You had this group of 7 guys who may have been green but at least felt like new blood to the show and had a storyline behind their respective characters.  How do you mess that up?

John Cena

• Like 2

So I brought this up in the photo thread and then it came up here, as far as wrestlers that have a face you just want to punch, and I think it helps get heels over. In this thread for modern times the Miz and Bo Dallas were mentioned, excellent choices. In the other thread I mentioned Jacques Rougeau.But for me, the #1 hall of famer in this category is Bruce Pritchard as Brother Love. Never before in my life or since did I want to slap someone in the face that bad.

Don Callis would have been perfect for that. I wish he wouldn't have been released and actually ended up as the Higher Power.

I don't know if Tully Blanchard can still take bumps but him coming back as a crooked televangelist manager would be money.

• Like 1

I used to not really be that into the Stardust character, but seeing how committed Cody is to it (especially with some of the things he said, I think on Twitter, shortly after Dusty's passing) made me just loosen up and learn to enjoy it. Now I'm an even bigger fan after seeing that video. I too wish that the Cosmic Wasteland stable got off the ground. Having Stardust have two "henchmen" would be super old school fun and at least give the Ascension something to do.

I used to not really be that into the Stardust character, but seeing how committed Cody is to it (especially with some of the things he said, I think on Twitter, shortly after Dusty's passing) made me just loosen up and learn to enjoy it. Now I'm an even bigger fan after seeing that video. I too wish that the Cosmic Wasteland stable got off the ground. Having Stardust have two "henchmen" would be super old school fun and at least give the Ascension something to do.

It's odd how The Ascension were way over in NXT, but as soon as they showed up on the main roster, the "WWE Universe" greeted them with indifference.