DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I apologize.

Discussing him is like discussing Cena, Reigns, or the Bellas:  There's zero point and it only leads to an argument.

I don't think you need to apologize. I do feel that thought process makes no sense. Why discuss anything because with that mindset, literally anything would lead to an argument? Daniel Bryan, Cena, Reigns and the Bellas all have been discussed on here in every way imaginable, well, nearly every way, the Bellas even more so because of Total Divas talk, and it's not as if everything erupts into an argument.

I gotta say, I'm not feeling particularly sympathetic towards Bryan's contract situation.  Why should the WWE release him from that contract?  Legally, they don't have to.

The conditions for termination of a WWE contract are obviously unfair - basically, Vince can terminate you on a whim, you can't quit unless the company agrees and lets you out of the contract - but Bryan signed the contract willingly.  Maybe he didn't read it carefully or have a lawyer review it, but that would be entirely on him then,

Right, nothing is forcing WWE to release DB, so why do it?

I did some googling though, and couldn't find much, but what was the situation with Brock on his first go with the company? Was his contract up after WM 20 and he sued to get out of the no-compete clause, or was he still under contract and he sued to get out of it to work elsewhere? I guess my bigger question would be what changes were made to WWE contracts after that, if any changes were made at all.

So while WWE shouldn't have to release DB, if you're DB and you want out, is there a way to sue the company to get out of it?

To be fair, WWE didn't invoke the "Your contract rolls over your injury time" until Rey tried to leave.

Brock's situation was the non-compete clause. He could go on to other sports like football, but nothing WWE conceived as "competition" (i.e. another wrestling promotion, UFC)

If he sued they would let him out of it. Can't drag the "indpendant contractor" stuff into the light like that.

Seems to be a situation where Bryan was trying to leave on good terms and it didn't work. We will see how this plays out, but nothing would surprise me at this point.

• Like 1

To be fair, WWE didn't invoke the "Your contract rolls over your injury time" until Rey tried to leave.

Brock's situation was the non-compete clause. He could go on to other sports like football, but nothing WWE conceived as "competition" (i.e. another wrestling promotion, UFC)

Ah ok. I guess what's weird here is that Rey legit could not wrestle. In the case of Bryan, he's been cleared by multiple doctors, just not WWE's doctor. Regardless of what might happen if he did, Bryan can still perform in the ring and it's only WWE's own doctor saying he's not fit to perform. Wouldn't a court look at that and ask WWE how could they say Bryan is injured when others have cleared him?

Wasn't the issue with Brock that at some point he was going to come back, since his deal was still "official", but then Vince lowered his salary on the deal as a fuck you, so he took it back to court and won since they locked him in a contract and when he tried to fulfill it they changed the contract.  He got out on that technicality.  

Bryan will be on RAW (it's in Seattle so it makes sense)

I was sort of meh on going tonight, but if this is true YES! YES! YES!

Seriously, now I have something to care about, plus this might be the last chance I have to see Bryan in person for awhile. 

• Like 1

In other news, Mauro is hinting at being on Raw.

Put Mauro on everything. Even with Lawler shitting everything up on SD!, Mauro makes that a much better show on the ears.

No he isn't. He's been at every Raw since he was hired. He's made it very, very clear he is Smackdown exclusive as an on screen talent.

To clarify my previous post:

If he's not wrestling, his fans will want to see him wrestle and won't take it well if that's not why he's back.  Moreover, it's fairly common knowledge that he wants to wrestle and WWE "won't let him", regardless of how good their intentions are.  It would be a serious about-face for them to suddenly clear him at this juncture.  As has previously been noted, his fans would have trouble accepting any position for him other than a main-event spot...and there's no practical reason for them to put him in that position after injuries derailed him twice before.

I don't see a positive side to Bryan's return from WWE's perspective.

Because they're paying him to do nothing?

What does WWE potentially lose by dropping him? It's not like there's a viable competitor he could invigorate.

Chances are Bryans downside guarantee, depending on when he entered the contract is relatively low. So there is no reason to release him because it costs so little to keep him. 

If Bryan was released, the impact to the WWE bottom line would be the zero, but he would create a lot of buzz for another promotion. Just look at how strong the nxt house show business is with no traditional television.  In a major city, you could prob pack a mid-size arena on Bryans name alone. 

I would imagine Vince is hoping Bryan will still be useful to them in some fashion.

They still market and sell DB merchandise, don't they?  Could they make enough off of merch sales to cover his downside guarantee. 

I assume it would be hard for Bryan to make as much as his guarantee elsewhere unless he wants to go to New Japan 26 weeks out of the year.  Though supposedly one of the reasons he took so long to make it to the WWE was that he made a good living off NOAH/ROH/wherever else he wrestled.

Because they're paying him to do nothing?

What does WWE potentially lose by dropping him? It's not like there's a viable competitor he could invigorate.

Because when he leaves and gives himself another 8 concussions in one tour in NJPW, the headlines will still read "Former WWE Champion Daniel Bryan...". Bryan hurting himself somewhere else still looks bad on WWE. Forever. Just like all of Kurt Angle's arrests have been "Former WWE superstar and Olympic gold medalist" instead of "TNA star".

Am I the only one who thinks that this might be a work? What if Bryan fed Meltzer some fake notice story to throw people off? Not saying that he's returning in the ring but I get the feeling that something is in the works. 

The haircut and going to Seattle tonight both look like signs that something is in the works. 

• Like 1

Bryan is stubborn for some reason. Instead of just sitting at home collecting my paycheck and being like "oh yeah my head...yeah, I shouldn't wrestle (wink wink)" he's got this stubborn work ethic and wants to be all Dynamite Kid/Chris Benoit. So, If I were Bryan I'd be like "fine, you want me to do non-wrestling crap okay. I'll do commentating or training for the rest of my contract. But the moment its up...I am gone". I'm not resigning. Use me however you want until then because the moment the contract is up...buh bye.

Like I said, he's stubborn.

If this is true then I think that Bryan is an idiot for not accepting a cushy non-wrestling job that allows him to have a chance at not being crippled or too brain damaged to enjoy life with his future family. 

I like Daniel Bryan, I'm a huge fan of his and I don't want to see him permanently ruin his life to entertain me.