DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

So, I'm reading the Jim Cornette AMA on Wreddit (so far, it's not too bad), and then I see this actually happened in Smoky Mountain....

New Jack, Mustafa & D'Lo Brown vs. The Undertaker, Bob Armstrong & Tracy Smothers

lolwut?

I'll freely admit that I earned the Debbie Downer/gloom-and-doom rep on here.  I try to show more restraint nowadays.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

This motherfucker right here, AHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I didn't say I was GOOD at showing restraint.  I said I was TRYING.

• Like 1

So, I'm reading the Jim Cornette AMA on Wreddit (so far, it's not too bad), and then I see this actually happened in Smoky Mountain....

New Jack, Mustafa & D'Lo Brown vs. The Undertaker, Bob Armstrong & Tracy Smothers

lolwut?

Oh my god this is fantastic.

Is that Kama/Godfather/Papa Shango in that promo with New Jack, D'Lo & Mustafa?

Also, the description part of the video makes the Gangstas stuff sound amazing. A 2 count instead of the traditional 3 count because of Affirmative Action? Talking about OJ Simpson and others to piss off the rednecks? Ring announcer confusing "LA" with "Louisiana"? I get that Cornette is pretty crazy these days, but all of that is fuckin' genius.

What the hell, Rick Rubin was a financial backer of SMW???

http://www.coreystapes.com/smw95.html

"Instead of kissing the Confederate Flag as per the stipulation, the Gangstas brutally attack Smothers, Armstrong 
Cornette and even the referee.  The Gangstas then spray paint the Gangstas’ X symbol on Bob Armstrong and continue
beating on Smothers & Cornette until the Undertaker comes back in and clears the Gangstas out of the ring."

• Like 1

I guess that's where the aforementioned promo comes from, and how that six man tag I posted about comes to be. The Undertaker coming into an angle like that is a little bizarre, but fuck that's just a great wrasslin' angle.

"Real combat sports don't have matches between men and women", while technically true, is also bullshit. Leaving aside that no real fight in human history has ever begun "Lockup - Irish Whip - Dropkick", real combat sports also have weight classes. There is no legitimate fighting organization where you'd ever see Kalisto fight Alberto Del Rio, never mind Henry or Show, and yet somehow the "REALISM NOW" crowd isn't chiming in for every big man-little man match.

So what's the argument here? That anyone who doesn't think intergender matches make sense shouldn't watch matches between men of different weights?

Yep which ignores the history of early mma.

Random question: Is the difference between Scott Steiner's main event push failing in '90/'91 and Scott Steiner's main event push succeeding in '99/'00 that Steiner should always be a heel at that level? His in-ring performance never really changes at its base level - throw dudes around and mug for the crowd. The only real difference is that in '90, he's kind of a bland face and in '99, he's a fantastic heat magnet of a heel. 

Also, was there any way to salvage Steiner's main event push in '90/'91 so that it worked out?

Random question: Is the difference between Scott Steiner's main event push failing in '90/'91 and Scott Steiner's main event push succeeding in '99/'00 that Steiner should always be a heel at that level? His in-ring performance never really changes at its base level - throw dudes around and mug for the crowd. The only real difference is that in '90, he's kind of a bland face and in '99, he's a fantastic heat magnet of a heel. 

Also, was there any way to salvage Steiner's main event push in '90/'91 so that it worked out?

He did not want to be in main events in 90/91. He wanted to keep teaming with Rick. Flair wanted to lose the title to him and Scott refused.

At that point the Steiners were way bigger together at that point than Scott could be alone.

Yeah, I'm going to have to disagree that the ring work really changed that much. He was still mostly strong-manning dudes. The heelery in the ring is really what sets him apart. 

I've been watching both '90 and '99 Steiner lately and feel pretty comfortable making that statement, but if you disagree, you could actually say why. I'm open to different perspectives on this.