DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Vic, Flex Rumblecrunch (the 3rd Dev Corp. member) is noticeably smaller than the other two. He's still a big guy, but more like "big for Chikara". Like, I would say Dasher Hatfield is clearly larger than him, if that gives you an idea. 

• Like 1

Those guys in the Devastation Corporation, are they big guys or just indy big? They seem to have potential beyond bumping and selling way too much.

Blaster (the black guy) is 6'7 (or close to it) so I would say that is legit big.

The other guy is closer to 6'4 so again - that falls into the "what is your definition of big?"

Oh wow.

TNA should sign them and give them a push. Big dude needs to wear a singlet though.

How bout the third member?

The singlet thing ... seconded. He's got a freakishly long torso.

If there's a silver lining to the NXT bloodletting it's that it gives us something else to discuss before the intergender talk runs its course (again) and we end up with "5 pages of whether or not Zach Ryder should have had a bigger push part 36".

Kongo Kong is another guy that should be doing better than he is. From what I saw really good in the ring and can credibly for smaller guys.

Not to be Art Donovan but how tall is Kong.

Art Donovan would have asked how much dis guy weighs.

"Real combat sports don't have matches between men and women", while technically true, is also bullshit. Leaving aside that no real fight in human history has ever begun "Lockup - Irish Whip - Dropkick", real combat sports also have weight classes. There is no legitimate fighting organization where you'd ever see Kalisto fight Alberto Del Rio, never mind Henry or Show, and yet somehow the "REALISM NOW" crowd isn't chiming in for every big man-little man match.

So what's the argument here? That anyone who doesn't think intergender matches make sense shouldn't watch matches between men of different weights?

I think his point is, as I am sure you are aware before pulling up your usual strawman, that it is fake and in theory wrestling fans suspend some believe when they watch it because wrestling at its base is ridiculous. Irish whips, shooting star presses, nothing that is real. Action movies have men punch women, no one freaks out over it.

If it makes some uncomfortable for whatever reason, I have no issue with that, to each their own. But not understanding the other side of the argument makes one look incapable of thinking other people may see something differently than they do. And thus not worth debating things with.

that it is fake

Uh no, uh huh uh huh.

Vic, Flex Rumblecrunch (the 3rd Dev Corp. member) is noticeably smaller than the other two. He's still a big guy, but more like "big for Chikara". Like, I would say Dasher Hatfield is clearly larger than him, if that gives you an idea. 

Thanks, they are one of my favorite indy teams and I think they could do really well on a bigger platform if they toned down the comedy. I like fun in wrestling but not funny, if that makes any sense. 

I feel like there really needs to be two separate terms for "intergender wrestling". In my mind (and I know some will disagree) there is an inherent difference between what companies like Chikara and Lucha Underground are presenting and what companies like Beyond Wrestling are presenting. One group is clearly viewing wrestling through a lens that makes the action akin to a real life comic book. The other thinks it will be cool for Chris Dickinson to put his balls in Kimber Lee's face. Lumping it all together seems disingenuous. 

• Like 2

"Real combat sports don't have matches between men and women", while technically true, is also bullshit. Leaving aside that no real fight in human history has ever begun "Lockup - Irish Whip - Dropkick", real combat sports also have weight classes. There is no legitimate fighting organization where you'd ever see Kalisto fight Alberto Del Rio, never mind Henry or Show, and yet somehow the "REALISM NOW" crowd isn't chiming in for every big man-little man match.

So what's the argument here? That anyone who doesn't think intergender matches make sense shouldn't watch matches between men of different weights?

I think his point is, as I am sure you are aware before pulling up your usual strawman, that it is fake and in theory wrestling fans suspend some believe when they watch it because wrestling at its base is ridiculous. Irish whips, shooting star presses, nothing that is real. Action movies have men punch women, no one freaks out over it.

If it makes some uncomfortable for whatever reason, I have no issue with that, to each their own. But not understanding the other side of the argument makes one look incapable of thinking other people may see something differently than they do. And thus not worth debating things with.

My usual strawman. I didn't even make a strawman or an argument. I was asking him to clarify what he meant by his post, because it sounds like he was saying that people who use the real sports analogies wouldn't be watching anything like Kalisto vs an average sized wrestler, so if you have a problem with male vs female because of real sports you shouldn't be watching anything that couldn't happen in a real combat sport.

Asking to clarify is now building a strawman. Fuck. Why even have a message board at this point? I didn't say a thing about what Cris said to be not worth debating because he sees something differently than I do. I was genuinely asking what the point he was trying to make was, which general would further discussion instead of having mods come in to shut it down for no reason.

Stro mate, when people decide you're a troll, everything you say is assumed to be trolling. Back in the day, FSW couldn't even wish someone Happy Birthday without people assuming he was being sarcastic and wanted them to have a shitty Birthday really.

Stro mate, when people decide you're a troll, everything you say is assumed to be trolling. Back in the day, FSW couldn't even wish someone Happy Birthday without people assuming he was being sarcastic and wanted them to have a shitty Birthday really.

Thing is, he brought that on himself. Don't like people reacting that way to you? Don't give them reason to.

Stro, I tried to tell you months ago how you were coming off, but you knew better (as always) and insisted that if anyone didn't like how you posted, it was their problem, not yours. I've got you on ignore, hence why I didn't respond.

• Like 2

Well that's the problem.  It doesn't matter what his doctors say.  WWE's own doctor says he shouldn't wrestle.  I'm not a lawyer but 20 years from now when he's in a wheelchair like Dynamite Kid and decides to sue, it's going to be hard to defend if they waive their contracted physician's diagnosis and let him come back. 

I wouldn't let him come back.  He's already shown to have piss-poor judgment regarding his own health.

You caught me. I hate Bryan so much. Because Bryan (a guy who takes all of his suplexes on his head) definitely didn't do needlessly dangerous spots, especially for a guy coming back from a neck injury, in his brief return in 2015. I guess I just made that up in my head to fuel my anti-Bryan agenda. It would certainly be beyond him to say "Hey do this dangerous suplex that you never do, my neck is fine I swear".

Or maybe it was a mutually agreed spot, and Harper wanted to showcase some stuff he's never done before. But, yes, let's pretend like you don't have an anti-Bryan agenda. I could probably gather 10 posts in the past month where you're negative towards him. The blame falls on both of them anyway, let's not even pretend like Harper didn't have a choice whether to perform that move.