DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I tried that Cornette podcast a few times, I tend to think you have to hear something a few times to get used to it, but I had to cut it off. It really was terrible. Between the antiquated wrestling views and the political discussion that encompasses "IF I YELL LOUD ENOUGH, I HAVE TO BE RIGHT", I couldn't take it. 

I used to think I hated it just because of his former co-host. However, since she quit I've listened a few times, and found it hasn't improved at all.

I haven't heard it, but I'll say this: Cornette might have a slight point if he had said wrestling isn't as over because it isn't presented as real anymore. Sometimes, especially with WWE, that can irk the shit out of me. LU is a completely different animal, and really, it just probably isn't made for people who are looking for a traditional wrestling presentation. Comparing LU to an hour of TV from the territory days (because I'm sure that's what his thought process was) would be like comparing whatever gritty, artsy film was hot at Cannes this year to a Good Times rerun. Sure, there are actors, on a set, performing dialogue for a camera, but the similarities end there. That old school era is Cornette's frame of reference, and will always be the benchmark by which all other wrestling will be measured for him-- and as fans, I think a lot of us are probably guilty of this to a degree with whatever era or show or territory we consider our respective favorites. Look, maybe certain fans of certain southern promotions in those days bought into wrestling as a shoot, but there are newspaper articles that reference "fixed" matches as far back as the 1920s, so I have no idea how the fuck Cornette could be so unsavvy on this when he's pretty brilliant in other areas.

Re: Daniel Bryan

As badly as he wants to wrestle, would he really leave WWE and jeopardize what Brie has going on there? Whenever he makes a decision now, he also has to think of his wife since they're, you know, married.

I see that working out the same way AJ Lee did. Bryan will leave to work elsewhere, and a few months/a year later, she'll leave WWE too. It's not like she's the important Bella or anything, and isn't she the one always talking about leaving anyway? Nikki is the one that wants to stay and become a huge star then transition into film and TV like Cena and The Rock.

Just saying, Brie doesn't seem to be too concerned with the longevity of her WWE career, that's Nikki's area it seems. Maybe I'm buying into the bullshit on Total Divas, or maybe I read too many interviews and whatnot, but she seems perfectly content to leave that behind and just stay at home and garden and do stuff in Arizona and live a peaceful, quiet life.

As badly as he wants to wrestle, would he really leave WWE and jeopardize what Brie has going on there? Whenever he makes a decision now, he also has to think of his wife since they're, you know, married.

Why would that impact Brie's career? It certainly didn't impact AJ's career when her husband left, and under far more contentious conditions than anything Bryan could leave under. She had her spot before she was married to Bryan.

Why would that impact Brie's career? It certainly didn't impact AJ's career when her husband left, and under far more contentious conditions than anything Bryan could leave under. She had her spot before she was married to Bryan.

You're all ignoring one obvious thing.

Total Divas. 

Brie is a big part of that and it focuses on her personal life. You can't document Brie's life without Bryan being there and I'm not sure that WWE would want Bryan to be seen on Total Divas if he's taking head bumps on Impact Wrestling. 

PWInsider.com is told that Catherine Kelly, a 27 year old female talent who has worked as a host and announcer in different entertainment areas, as an announcer using the name Cathy Kelly, is WWE-bound.

Kelly, initially from Illinois, was working in California for The AfterbuzzTV online broadcast network and had made appearances as an interviewer for Championship Wrestling from Hollywood. She's also worked as a personality and producer for JUCE TV, a children's network run by Trinity Broadcasting.

Kelly is familiar with the business and has been a regular personality on Afterbuzz's WWE discussion shows.

How is women wrestling men controversial when it's been on North American tv since at least the 1970's? Wouldn't that make it old news?

Try to get some of the shit from All In The Gang or Sanford and Son on the air today without online outrage and protests. 

Here's the thing about the intergender stuff.  I actually like how LU presents it, because they rarely if ever beat you over the head with it.  Sexy Star and Ivelisse wrestle the dudes, and they never talk about how it's man vs woman.  I only recall it coming up during the Star vs Big Ryck match, and that's because Ryck could have potentially murdered her if he wanted.  Where it becomes a problem is when it becomes, like someone earlier in the thread stated, it becomes glorified domestic violence.  I'm all for men and women wrestling as long as they are truly presented as equals.  This shit that has gone around the last year or two where the match is just some giant bloodletting where a dude beats the shit out of a chick is just not ok.  That's my take 4 pages after the fact.

Ok....I'll bite.

Lucha Underground? Don't like it. Tried it. Did nothing for me.

Women wrestling men? Don't like it. To me it complicates and looks even dumber than pro wrestling does on it's dumb days.

Jim Cornette? He's old school and doesn't apologize about being old school. I too am old school and don't apologize about it. The difference between me and Jim? I don't have to be a roaring prick about things I don't like. (See my LU response above.)

Happy Friday!

• Like 5

It's never portrayed as equals, even when a company is saying "they are equals", because as soon as a dude punches a woman, everyone has the same reaction in every promotion. Except those ultra creepy Japan shows, which seem to book those matches specifically to have women get the shit beaten out of them for the enjoyment of fucking weirdos.

Men and women don't compete in real sports, especially not combat sports, so I don't see a point for men and women to be facing each other in wrestling under the guise of equality. It's a shortcut for cheap heat and built in underdog stories without putting the work in to get those reactions and emotions. 

• Like 1

I do find it very "interesting" that most fans will concede that race-baiting angles and even homophobic ones are in poor taste, but when you try to take their woman beating away from them, it's all "WHAT THE FUCK SJW TRYHARDS"

There is exactly one good argument for intergender matches - the one about there being so few women to work with in some promotions. I have a feeling more women might be interested in getting into the business if the only major North American promotion didn't utilize state-of-the-art "all women are bitches" booking.

• Like 5

Ok....I'll bite.

Women wrestling men? Don't like it. To me it complicates and looks even dumber than pro wrestling does on it's dumb days.

Jim Cornette? He's old school and doesn't apologize about being old school. I too am old school and don't apologize about it. The difference between me and Jim? I don't have to be a roaring prick about things I don't like. (See my LU response above.)

Happy Friday!

This, exactly. I would like to listen to your podcast, sir.

• Like 1

Ok....I'll bite.

Happy Friday!

This, exactly. I would like to listen to your podcast, sir.

I actually do a weekly podcast with no wrestling content BUT that may change at some point. I'll keep you posted. LOL

The big thing with intergender wrestling is it's one of the few issues out there where, no matter what viewpoint you have on it, YOU ARE WRONG, and you are a misogynist for thinking that way. 

If you support intergender wrestling? You are WRONG because you want to see women beaten up by men.

If you DON'T support intergender wrestling? YOU ARE WRONG, because you're inherently saying a woman can't be in a fight scene on a TV series or movie because she'd have to be in fight scenes with a man- which inherently says "women should never star in action/sci-fi/superhero movies, ever".

With both of these, you're wrong, and you're a misogynist for thinking it either way- all you can do is pick which side you want to be wrong on.

I didn't think Cornette would be crazy about LU, this shouldn't be a shock to anyone.  I think he's really ramping up the hate and yelling from every mountain top that he can to help maintain some relevancy.  He's not working for a major promotion and he needs to draw attention to his Twitter and Podcast so he can increase listeners and promote his appearances and merch.  Similar to Donald Trump (he'd hate this analogy) he's going to say wild shit that some are going to love and some are going to hate but at the end of his rant about the flippy Young Bucks, grabbing Joey Ryan's dick, or how unrealistic Lucha Underground is, he's going to tell everyone to follow him on Twitter and buy his books about the Louisville Gardens and the Midnight Express.

Here's the thing about the intergender stuff.  I actually like how LU presents it, because they rarely if ever beat you over the head with it.  Sexy Star and Ivelisse wrestle the dudes, and they never talk about how it's man vs woman.  I only recall it coming up during the Star vs Big Ryck match, and that's because Ryck could have potentially murdered her if he wanted.  Where it becomes a problem is when it becomes, like someone earlier in the thread stated, it becomes glorified domestic violence.

You're forgetting the "Pentagon Jr. terrorizes non-wrestling ring announcer" angle that the crowd was chanting "CERO MIEDO" at because they're assholes