DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I had a hard time accepting the fact that Bryan should never wrestle again.  But in reality, he fucked himself up way before WWE with those concussions.  I just can't in good conscience be selfish and want him to come back.  If he did somehow come back and do the stuff he always did I'd be mortified.  He's done enough damage to risk having those long-term effects, and I worry about him being like Dynamite Kid or at worst Benoit.

But man I can also see why people want him back.  He's smart as can be and still works out like he's training for a comeback.  If he just had all this happen in WWE I might be inclined to say "Sure, why not?"  But factor in his pre-WWE concussions?  Hell, no, no way.

Sadly, I've hit the mindset of asking why I should get too attached to any of these people.  They don't seem to have much of a shelf life any more.  One goes down, another that looks like him/her will take his/her place.  It's the nature of the business...that's just reality.

• Like 1

What's so confusing about the Bryan situation and the reason why it is so prime for conspiracy theories is that there are unquestionably people on the roster who are in terrible shape and allowed to continue. Plus, the WWE is now raiding the indies and Japan for guys who have a lot of miles on them.  Yet, all of these guys get a pass and Bryan is the one guy not cleared to continue. In a way it feels like they are making an example out of him.

• Like 2

You would think though with the reactions he gets when he appears on TV and the merch he still moves that they would put him on TV more in some kind of angle. Almost like Steve Austin as the Raw Sheriff, make him the foil to The Authority. 

It is weird that they don't have him on TV more or anything. Honestly, that part is because he's over and is considered by a vocal part of the fan base as the alternative to Reigns. 

He obviously means something to them because they won't just release him, but they could be using him better if he's over. Of course, maybe they think that it will have minimal returns relative to the fans shitting on Reigns or whoever else they see as contra Bryan, but Reigns isn't getting over with those guys anyway, or at least not for another ten years until he does his own U.S Championship Open Challenges, busts out a Code Red, and the mouthbreathers on Reddit and Cageside Seats and the like can express shock at how good he is in-ring. 

I'm no lawyer so bear with me. With the (laughable) independent contractor status and the nature of downside contracts, if Bryan is getting cleared by doctors right and left could he sue for loss of income?

Meltzer talked about this a few weeks ago, regarding Bryan getting out of his contract on the same basis.  Since he's still getting his downside and merch, Bryan would have to prove he'd still make more elsewhere.  Meltzer is not a lawyer either (god I'd love to hear him on a case) but that sounds right, I guess.

I'm no lawyer so bear with me. With the (laughable) independent contractor status and the nature of downside contracts, if Bryan is getting cleared by doctors right and left could he sue for loss of income?

Meltzer talked about this a few weeks ago, regarding Bryan getting out of his contract on the same basis. Since he's still getting his downside and merch, Bryan would have to prove he'd still make more elsewhere. Meltzer is not a lawyer either (god I'd love to hear him on a case) but that sounds right, I guess.

Wonder what NJPW would give a WWE headliner who could work their style...

Meltzer talked about this a few weeks ago, regarding Bryan getting out of his contract on the same basis. Since he's still getting his downside and merch, Bryan would have to prove he'd still make more elsewhere. Meltzer is not a lawyer either (god I'd love to hear him on a case) but that sounds right, I guess.

Wonder what NJPW would give a WWE headliner who could work their style...

12 more concussions and a wheelchair.  Strong style!

• Like 2

The "intergender controversy" is basically "Dave and Bryan don't like girls wrestling guys on Lucha Underground"

Too be fair - there a couple other people who carry on about it too (Bix being a big one) but yeah it really flared up because of LU

Bix is a joke. He has a problem with a worked match between men and women (all parties agreeing to the match), but  he has no issue not outing the known racists within the business who are actively working from within to keep racist gimmicks alive and well in the 21st century? The guys morals are really off. Fantasy gets a long easy, but reality gets swept under the rug? The guy is full of shit.

• Like 1

The "intergender controversy" is basically "Dave and Bryan don't like girls wrestling guys on Lucha Underground"

Too be fair - there a couple other people who carry on about it too (Bix being a big one) but yeah it really flared up because of LU

Bix is a joke. He has a problem with a worked match between men and women (all parties agreeing to the match), but  he has no issue not outing the known racists within the business who are actively working from within to keep racist gimmicks alive and well in the 21st century? The guys morals are really off. Fantasy gets a long easy, but reality gets swept under the rug? The guy is full of shit.

What's this part about? 

The idea of Bryan on NXT is awesome. I'd love to see that. I just don't know what his role would be since Regal is the commissioner. 

What's this part about? 

DON'T ENGAGE.

• Like 3