DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

That was the match where Punk wore the Yankee pinstripes, right? Yeah that one is right up there with MITB. Punk having a counter for everything was great.

Well now I need to go back and watch this one and the MitB match.

Damn you all for making me watch fantastic professional wrestling matches.

• Like 1

I thought Matt and I were the only two that backed NoC 2012 as the best Punk/Cena match.

My favorite part, amidst all the counters, all the "Cena is too big and strong and determined for Punk to beat" and "Punk is too smart and too good for Cena to beat" storytelling is Punk countering the Five Knuckle Shuffle two or three times during the setup, and then at one point Cena just drilling him with a fistdrop with no setup or signal. Simple, beautiful pro wrestling.

Nah its definitely one of my all time favourites and the spot you mentioned is great. Heyman adds to the match too and he's nowhere near as animated as he becomes for future Punk and Brock matches.

So...this whole Intergender wrestling "controversy" is going to be a thing isn't it?

I googled Intergender Wrestling Controversy, and the top result was a match from March 2015 between Chris Dickinson and Kimber Lee*. So if you're talking about that... no, it's been as big of a thing as it's going to be. If it's not that, if it's something else, then it's not a thing yet, and might not be ever.

I can see that an indy promotion might be all controversy = business and try to manufacture outrage by having an intergender match devolve into a worked shoot domestic violence situation, that's a fairly standard scummy Wrestling promoter idea that you'd think Ian Rotten would have tried fifteen years ago. But you can't manufacture virality, no matter how much you want to.

* The youtube video had 136,000 views, which is a lot for an indy promotion, but it's not millions or anything.

The "intergender controversy" is basically "Dave and Bryan don't like girls wrestling guys on Lucha Underground"

Too be fair - there a couple other people who carry on about it too (Bix being a big one) but yeah it really flared up because of LU

I have mixed feelings on intergender wrestling.  When I started watching indie wrestling, MsChif and Daizee Haze were the only two women in GCW so they HAD to fight the guys or they'd just be facing each other all the time.  Nowadays it really hurts the potential work opportunities for female wrestlers when an area just doesn't have a lot of other women to work with.  I see people like Stacey O'Brien and Lucy Mendez in my neck of the woods who just don't wrestle that often since there aren't many opponents who they haven't faced ad nauseum.

My daughter - 4 and 5 at the time, now 7 - looked up to a lot of the females wrestling for Chikara (before the fall) because they were able to hold their own against male opponents. She has 8x10 autographs hanging in her room of del Ray, Saturyne, and a few others. (And Ophidian ... loves her some Ophidian.)

The message of empowerment is there.

• Like 3

http://csrwrestling.com/korderas-reality-check-on-daniel-bryan/

Putting it out there before someone else does.

If it's dangerous for him to return to the ring, then he shouldn't.  Whether he himself believes that is another matter.

I think there's a bigger stink about Bryan because notable sports doctors have cleared him, while WWE's has not.  I believe WWE's hesitation has more to do with the lawsuits than anything. 

Well that's the problem.  It doesn't matter what his doctors say.  WWE's own doctor says he shouldn't wrestle.  I'm not a lawyer but 20 years from now when he's in a wheelchair like Dynamite Kid and decides to sue, it's going to be hard to defend if they waive their contracted physician's diagnosis and let him come back. 

I wouldn't let him come back.  He's already shown to have piss-poor judgment regarding his own health.

• Like 2

If it's dangerous for him to return to the ring, then he shouldn't.  Whether he himself believes that is another matter.

Are there really people who think they intentionally don't clear him, because he's too over?

I've never heard that one before, at least not on this board.

I call bullshit on Del Rio never allowing anyone except Cena to call spots for him. He never let Punk or Bryan or Edge call anything? No way.

Heels often call the match. Austin (due to his poor hearing) & Cena are exceptions. 

Are there really people who think they intentionally don't clear him, because he's too over?

I've never heard that one before, at least not on this board.

Admittedly, I've said that I don't see any reason for WWE to put him back on TV or even mention him any more.

Oh well.