DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I am through 7 episodes of LU. Loved the three way with Pentagon Jr. - Fenix - Drago. 

Loving the show so far.

The character progression and just knowing everyones character is refreshing. The backstage stuff is amazing!

This could go in the LU note but I'll stick it here anyway since it's more of a comparative thing.

I'm 22 episodes in now and the major strengths of NXT TV are the same as LU TV. They come from being pre-taped and working towards a goal. 

1. Characters have clear motivations.

2. There is a hierarchy. Wins and losses matter. Someone is obviously higher up on the card than someone else, and you can point to evidence to show this. 

3. There is a progression from week to week. 

4. They do a very good job of shifting from one feud to another, and then paying off the feud. Often times, right after the pay off (or even built into the payoff) is something that transitions things to the next feud fluidly. 

It's all very basic storytelling, elements that stem back from territorial studio-based wrestling. Maybe some of the specific details of Lucha Underground aren't "traditional" in that it's more of a hyper-reality based fight club setting than a psuedo-sports setting, but the structure and formula and the gears behind the machine have a lot more in common with something like Mid-South or Smoky Mountain (or NXT) than they do with current WWE TV.

• Like 1

Poor poor Lillian - they are going to milk this grammy thing for everything they can

EDIT - YOU ARE NOT GOOD AT YOUR JOB!!!

God Bless Cole for playing along.

I AM AT LEAST PASSABLE!

• Like 8

So,

March Madness is coming, huh?

Oh yeah - and are people not going to be happy with me this year.

Well more so than normal

Last year's brackets nearly made me kick you off my Xbox Friend List. 

You're saying that I will be moved to slash your tires this year.

• Like 1

So,

Well more so than normal

Last year's brackets nearly made me kick you off my Xbox Friend List.

Is that the step after getting yelled at during multiplayer for poor team play? :)

So,

Well more so than normal

Last year's brackets nearly made me kick you off my Xbox Friend List.

Is that the step after getting yelled at during multiplayer for poor team play? :)

Unlike you, I can count on Rippa to be clutch, not die in the worst place at the worst time, kill what he is shooting at, and fully embrace the bullet stopping power of hard cover so yelling at comes before unfriending.

Besides, wasn't it you that purged all of us from your Friend's List first? ;)

The other night i rewatched one of my favourite matches of all time- CM Punk Vs John Cena at Night of Champions 2012.

This match is EVERYTHING a WWE main event should be- great video package, actual big fight feel, molten hot crowd in one of the wrestlers hometown and a rivalry where the two guys bring out the absolute best in each other.

The match itself is perfectly executed imo, Punk wrestles possibly his best match in WWE, top 3 anyway. Everything he hits is so crisp and clean and Cena sells it like a champ. Cena gets his licks in too, getting more and more frustrated as the match goes on because Punk has his number at most turns.

The crowd eats every bit of it up and they build to a great finishing stretch that doesn't over do it on the finisher swapping that some main events can be guilty of. The finish is ho-hum but it takes nothing away from the match

This is the match that should have main evented WM 29 and not Rock/Cena 2. This match closing Mania with a few more months build up and heat would have been off the chart but we'll never know.

Punks WWE title run wasn't outstanding by any means (and people may have different opinions on him now) but there was some great moments and matches throughout and this is the peak of it. Some wrestlers just bring the absolute best out in each other and Punk/Cena always gelled. Flair/Steamboat. Austin/Rock. Punk/Cena.

• Like 1

I would like to see a gif of this if possible.

The VQ is terrible but here is the video.

See the description and comments to reinforce my point

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11k2r_mark-henry-fights-a-steel-cage_sport

Holy shit.

This might have been a fuck up, but it did more to establish Henry as a monster then almost anything he's ever done.

I thought Matt and I were the only two that backed NoC 2012 as the best Punk/Cena match.

My favorite part, amidst all the counters, all the "Cena is too big and strong and determined for Punk to beat" and "Punk is too smart and too good for Cena to beat" storytelling is Punk countering the Five Knuckle Shuffle two or three times during the setup, and then at one point Cena just drilling him with a fistdrop with no setup or signal. Simple, beautiful pro wrestling.

• Like 3

This year's March Madness tourney is going to be a trial run for the insanity and hatred that will be day after CM Punk's first MMA match, isn't it.

If anyone needs me, I'm going to be offline knitting a sweater.

As long as it stays in the mma folder, everyone can have it.

Mark Henry pinning Orton clean surprised the hell out of me. I totally wasn't expecting that to go down and it was a DOMINENT performance. That would lead to one of my favorite title runs in recent memory I just wish it went longer.

And then he beat him clean again at Hell In A Cell. IIRC, I think the idea was that Orton would finally get his revenge at Mania after a dominant title run for Mark Henry. Instead Mark Henry found himself in that Team Johnny vs Team Teddy match and Orton had to wrestle Kane.

That was the match where Punk wore the Yankee pinstripes, right? Yeah that one is right up there with MITB. Punk having a counter for everything was great.

Well now I need to go back and watch this one and the MitB match.

Damn you all for making me watch fantastic professional wrestling matches.

• Like 1