DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

The Angle series in '06 is the first time I remember thinking that Henry was really good, and then he had that '08 that put him over the top and the Hall of Pain run that's probably my second favorite main roster run for anyone outside of Daniel Bryan in the last seven or eight years. 

He was trained by the great Leo Burke (from the Maritimes!) IIRC, so it's no shock that he eventually got it and became awesome. 

In retrospect, that match against John Cena at MitB for the WWE Championship is probably his swan song in terms of great matches. Man, it was so good. My WWE MotY for 2013.

Just watched Vader vs Henry. It was a fun little hoss match with both guys beating the crap out of each other. I wish it went a little longer and but I thought the DQ ending established Henry as a force to be reckoned with. Vader at the end of his WWE run showed more motivation then I would have expected out of him.

• Like 1

.oh god, I just can't stand the damn slow counting and those shitty sounds the fans make..

Barbaro Cavernario is the best! <3

I'll take random air horns going off over fans chanting 'we are awesome' every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

We are agreed on the second point.

• Like 1

The only thing that ever topped "We Are Awesome" in terms of "Jesus Christ this is why I hide being a fan of wrestling" behavior was "We deserve it". Followed by the Full Sail crowd trying to shit on this giant moment for all the people they've been watching for 2 years because they were greedy and childish fucks.

Mark Henry had a really, really good match with Terry Funk in 98 on Raw. Don't have an exact date, but worth tracking down.

This is like 99% Terry Funk being a senile bastard. Holy crap!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xw6rtc_1998-06-01-kotrqm-mark-henry-vs-terry-funk_sport

Vince does his best to ruin the match but Funk AIN'T HAVIN' IT. 5 minute mark...

Mark Henry had a really, really good match with Terry Funk in 98 on Raw. Don't have an exact date, but worth tracking down.

It's on the Network, and yeah, it's a blast. Funk does an Asai Moonsault that's about as graceful as you can imagine 54 year old Terry Funk can pull off.

This is like 99% Terry Funk being a senile bastard. Holy crap!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xw6rtc_1998-06-01-kotrqm-mark-henry-vs-terry-funk_sport

Vince does his best to ruin the match but Funk AIN'T HAVIN' IT. 5 minute mark...

That match was way more fun than I had even hoped. Henry is green as gooseshit but Funk leads him along well. I popped for the "Al Issacs Sucks" sign at the beginning as well.

• Like 1

Watched the Resurrection of Jake Robert doc. Pretty heartwarming story and the physical transformation of Jake and Hall is wonderful to see but the movie is a little infomercially at times and there's a sense of the performative about it. 

Basically, it's exactly what you think a DDP documentary would be. 

I still have that Raw taped somewhere. Terry completely nuking his hip/legs on the rail is just insane. That year he was 53 years old, and he's still wrestling eighteen years later. Incredible. 

Poor Terry's luck with people catching him on his moonsaults. Cactus, Onita, and some others didn't in FMW which he bitched about in his book, and then the Wall did the same thing. He must've forgot about Mark.

What the hell ever happened to Al Isaacs anyway? He seems like someone that might make for a fun podcast guest if anyone could track him down, even if just to get to the bottom of who kept feeding him the "Yokozuna's joining the Hart Foundation" rumor.

He's a touring stand up comic and teaches improv somewhere in New York. He sold Scoops in the late 90s/early 2000s and ekind of quietly left "the scene".

The Angle series in '06 is the first time I remember thinking that Henry was really good, and then he had that '08 that put him over the top and the Hall of Pain run that's probably my second favorite main roster run for anyone outside of Daniel Bryan in the last seven or eight years. 

He was trained by the great Leo Burke (from the Maritimes!) IIRC, so it's no shock that he eventually got it and became awesome. 

In retrospect, that match against John Cena at MitB for the WWE Championship is probably his swan song in terms of great matches. Man, it was so good. My WWE MotY for 2013.

This. I'm amazed that run didn't establish him as a bona-fide main eventer from that point on but I guess with constant injuries niggling away and wanting to quit a long time ago it makes sense why he wasn't.

In regards to Mark Henry - I know for me that the ultimate "Holy Fuck I love this guy" moment - was when he came out and was supposed to rip the cage door off except they forgot to gimmick the door/chain.

So everyone was all LOL!!! LOOK HOW STUPID HENRY LOOKED!!!! and I was all "Umm... motherfuckers - he ended up legit ripping the door off"

• Like 5

I vividly remember that, and the same thought process: Why were people joking about this, he tore it open legit!

That brief run hanging with MNM was a blast.

The battle royal where Angle won the belt after Batista forfeited it was incredible, and Henry was reason 1A.