DVDVR Message Board

The Division

Division is a 3rd person game, while Destiny is FPS. Destiny is fantasy sci-fi, whereas Division is more grounded in reality. Haven't played Division, but my guess is, like Destiny, there's a story mode, but the real hook is playing with and against other players in various activities.

But they're both multiplayer looter shooters with RPG elements, and Ubi has made it no secret they're gunning for Destiny's player base.

I'm out...

After playing it through Level 12 (of 1-30), I'm getting utterly frustrated with the AI Damage model. It shouldn't take 100 bullets from a LMG to take down an elite guy in a hoodie and jeans.

I think this is what's going to keep me from getting into the game.

Im playing on xb1, gt is same as my user name here, look me up. Probably wont get to play much this weekend, we are going to the lexington comic con this weekend. Ive hit lvl 9, got my security, tech, and medical wings up and running, i even crafted a rare/blue scar h that was pretty badass

It's a weird dynamic got sure. Realistic art style, but more standard MMO for things like damage. If you watched our Let's Play, you'll hear Bear had major problems with that.

Another reason why I think it should've just been a big open-world sandbox game for the single-player campaign with all the online multiplayer stuff separate.

The bullet sponge thing is why I'm going to hold off. Every video I watched looked great, but I HATE that shit. I can at least tolerate it in something like Destiny, where enemies have shields and shit like that, but to have to headshot a regular human repeatedly to take him down takes me out of a game pretty damn quickly. I get that they can't make the Division an RPG style game without that drawback, but I wish there was something more to explain why you have to hit enemies so many times.

I'll hold off and see if they can address this issue. From how the dev team has been talking, they'll be making frequent tweaks and updates. I really hope they do something to improve that aspect of the game because I'd like to play it.

Everything I've seen on this is dudes running towards an area, going in, shooting about 10 dudes, then walking to a point of interest and hitting a button, then someone on the radio says "10 more dudes are coming your way!", then they shoot about 10 more dudes, then they go to another part of the building and hit a button, then someone on the radio says "10 more dudes are coming your way!", then they shoot about 10 more dudes, then they go to another part of the building and hit a button, then someone on the radio says "10 more dudes are coming your way!", then they shoot about 10 more dudes but there's a purple guy who takes a full minute of concentrated fire to kill, then they go to another part of the building and hit a button, then they leave and go fiddle in the equip screen squinting and trying to see if they need to equip any of the new shit or if it's all junk.

• Like 1

And on the other hand, probably why I'm likely to dig it. It's not what I always want to do, but mindless grinding and a loot mechanic is simultaneously relaxing and addicting for me.

That's why a buddy of mine immediately returned it after playing it. His words- "that game is dumb as shit"

Although, is that really that different from Destiny?

Put a few hours in today and I'm really enjoying myself. I didn't at first, because your starting weapons are garbage and I wasn't getting drops. Finally got a nice LMG and everything got way easier. Got the Med wing online and then had a freeze. Decided to call it a night.

So, word of mouth right now is that the Dark Zone, the big selling point of the game, has turned into a shitshow. Basically, the punishment for dying after you go rogue is so harsh that nobody is going rogue. On purpose anyway. But what the DZ does have is a load of assholes who try to force other players to go rogue by jumping into their line of fire, then killing them immediately for easy, consequence-free loot. Sounds like a blast.

So, word of mouth right now is that the Dark Zone, the big selling point of the game, has turned into a shitshow. Basically, the punishment for dying after you go rogue is so harsh that nobody is going rogue. On purpose anyway. But what the DZ does have is a load of assholes who try to force other players to go rogue by jumping into their line of fire, then killing them immediately for easy, consequence-free loot. Sounds like a blast.

I wasn't crazy about Dark Zone when I tried it on the beta.  IMHO it's way too disorganized.  I think it's way too cheap that you might randomly go rogue.  

What is the punishment for going rogue though?  Do you lose money or XP?

I wasn't crazy about Dark Zone when I tried it on the beta. IMHO it's way too disorganized. I think it's way too cheap that you might randomly go rogue.

What is the punishment for going rogue though? Do you lose money or XP?

All of the above, plus loot.

The Giant Bombcast just revealed ANOTHER way to troll your friends in this game, if you're a much higher level than them. If you join their mission, all the enemies in their mission will jump in level to match yours (the higher level player). Then, the high level player can leave that mission, but the enemies STAY THAT HIGH LEVEL. Hahaha.

I played this with a buddy via a Redbox rental over the weekend, and he did the Gamestop $35 after we played it that Friday night. He's pressuring me to do the same. I enjoyed our early level playthrough stuff, but a lot of what you guys are saying makes this sound rather unappealing to me. It sounds like the "going rogue" thing basically tries to fix an MMO feature that was not broken.