DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 82: Hendricks vs. Thompson (2/6/2016) - Las Vegas, NV (MGM Garden Grand Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

My boy Johny is going to knock Wonderboy the fuck out.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.  Prophetic wisdom as usual from Fight Professor Craig Hudak.

Leap forward and throw a big hook and grind out fights against the cage, what stellar, attractive traits to look for in your favorite fighter.

I think the game plan Hendricks had tonight was titled, "How to Do My Best to Lose to Stephen Thompson."

I mean just no head movement, hands down, stood exactly in kickboxing range for a world class karate expert and kickboxer.  Why Johny? Just why?

Regardless, that was a fantastic win by Stephen Thompson.  Quite frankly, I'm all for giving him a title shot next.  Let Tyron Woodley cry about it some more.

In Craig's defence, everybody had the opportunity yesterday to call the fight for Wonderboy and I remember reading a lot of "I want Thompson to win but....".

But holy man that was great.

Edit : And Lawler - Thompson would be a really interesting fight. One, because as Elsalva mentioned it is tiring to see the same dudes dominating 170 regardless how great said dudes are. Secondly, just because it's a really interesting style match-up. Lawler's not great against headkicks and I haven't seen enough of Thompson to see how he would fare in a really scrappy fight against a guy like Robbie.

• Like 1

That was target practice. I thought Hendricks would win but I'm happy to be wrong. He bitches too much about decision losses instead of taking fights when they're there to be had. Johny Hendricks is his own worst enemy. Love me some karate fighters but I'm not going to be putting too much into Wonderboy's stock after this one.

• Like 1

To be fair, based on Scoggins vs. Borg earlier tonight, the whole "looking for one big strike after a failed takedown" tactic is key to getting lit up. In that interview on the prelims, Ray Thompson did know what Hendricks' gameplan was gonna be. As much I've been tough on parent trainers in MMA, I have to give him a ton of credit. It was go time once Hendricks seemed a bit baffled. Everything opened up.

Ariel Helwani @arielhelwani 3m3 minutes ago

Lahat got a CAT scan on neck, eye and jaw and they all came back negative, per Sholler. He's on his way back to the hotel.

Ariel Helwani @arielhelwani 3m3 minutes ago

Nicholson has a fractured jaw and most likely needs surgery, per the UFC.

My boy Johny is going to knock Wonderboy the fuck out.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.  Prophetic wisdom as usual from Fight Professor Craig Hudak.

Leap forward and throw a big hook and grind out fights against the cage, what stellar, attractive traits to look for in your favorite fighter.

Zheroen, I'm noticing this is a bit of a recurring trend with you. That trend is going to stop right there.

You've had an entire week to put yourself out there like the rest of us, and you only come in after the fact. If you're not willing to do so, it would be best and wise to keep your opinions to yourself. What's the point of a discussion thread if you only want to troll when everyone except you has given their opinion? You can take that to Sherdog if you want. I'm sure they will be glad to have you among their family. Otherwise, you can join us and be a participant among our discussion. Your choice.

Anyway, nothing to see here. Move along with the thread.

In Craig's defence, everybody had the opportunity yesterday to call the fight for Wonderboy and I remember reading a lot of "I want Thompson to win but....".

But holy man that was great.

Edit : And Lawler - Thompson would be a really interesting fight. One, because as Elsalva mentioned it is tiring to see the same dudes dominating 170 regardless how great said dudes are. Secondly, just because it's a really interesting style match-up. Lawler's not great against headkicks and I haven't seen enough of Thompson to see how he would fare in a really scrappy fight against a guy like Robbie.

In defense of what, or rather, what's there to argue about? A bunch of folks were on the fence and even Elsa said to make a choice instead of the same old 20/20 hindsight stuff. So, I went with the fighter I always pick to win. He lost. Oh well.

EDIT: And damn did he lose in spectacular fashion. I remarked to my friend when Johny couldn't complete that takedown that he would be in trouble. And then he went into his kinda lazy way of (not) defending strikes and just ate a ton of stuff. Looked like he nearly got liver kicked too. Tons of respect to Wonderboy for doing what no one else has done in lighting up and putting away Johny.