DVDVR Message Board

July's brand spanking new football/SOCCER thread.

Adam

Nacer Chadli is going to be a coup for Tottenham, they've got quite the solid little Belgian contingent going on right now.  I haven't seen terms of the deal yet, but I'd imagine they paid a decent sum.  He primarily plays at left wing, so one has to wonder if he might be a contingency plan for the possibility that Florentino Perez makes Eugene Levy an offer he can't refuse for Bale?

I think they were after Bernard from Mineiro originally and Chadli is the contingency. Bernard's likely off to Porto, who will then sell him for thrice what they paid for him.

I kind of feel confirmed when saying that Klinsmann is a great coach for events. His enthusiasm and positivity helped to make a decent but nowhere near ready German team look like an underdog contender in 2006. Luck of draw helped to win the group stages and as soon as the real opponents came it looked like the difference wasn´t that huge.USA has far less contenders in the Gold Cup I assume and they get carried by both, an enthusiastic crowd and an enthusiastic Kraut. (You can´t imagine how proud I am of that one ;))Apparently, Real offered Juve 50 million Euro for Vidal.Bayern wins a pre season tournament by beating Hamburger SV 4:0 and Borussia Moenchengladbach 5:1. Two Bundesliga rivals and only 30 minute halves. I guess you have to consider another year of Bayern domination in the Bundesliga...even if it´s only pre season.Women´s EURO (in case anybody besides me cares):Sweden (4:0 against Iceland) and Germany (1:0 against Italy) won their quarters and will play each other in the semis on Wednesday. The second semifinal will be between the winners of Norway v Spain and France v Denmark. So far the tournaments heavy favourites have to be France, who won 3 out of 3 and really outclassed the once quite strong English squad. Sweden also got some strong showings in, scoring the most goals in the tournament so far (13 in 4 games).

Posted Image

RIP Bert, and respect.

Just how much of a great figure in football Bert Trautmann was I only learnt a few weeks before his passing. And a great player to boot. May his family have the strength to get through this time, even though he was 89 years old it is always hard to loose a loved one.

Yeah, they nailed Chivas USA, forcing potential academy kids to list their parent's ethnicity is probably a big time smoking gun for the discrimination lawsuit.

But Garber is busy fighting MLS's REAL problem: People saying the word "asshole" on goal kicks! Between this and the Shiek whose involved with NYCFC being ruler of a country that imprisons gays and generally treats women like garbage it really makes a mockery of the whole "Don't Cross The Line" campaign. The fact that Garber hasen't told Veraga to get the fuck out of the league shows what a spineless turd he is.

USA wins, despite basically playing 11 on 15, 3-1. The ref was putrid, missed numerous calls against Honduras, including a uncalled blatant elbow on Holden (UniMas showed Holden getting hit about 60 times from all angles) and to make things worse, sends off Klinsmann in the final minutes, so unless that gets rescinded, he's going to be off the sideline for the final.

Come on Panama!

edit: Nope, Klinsmann suspended for the final.

Confirmed: Jurgen Klinsmann suspended for Gold Cup final after being sent off.

Halfway through the Copa Libertadores final second leg. All going well for Paraguays Olimpia with their two goal aggregate lead. The game's wide open and pretty fun to watch, Ronaldinho hasn't done much of note and Bernard has only really popped his head up to dive and whine at the ref. Good game though. I think the crowd will start to get on Mineiro's back the longer it goes.

EDIT: Exciting stuff, as Mineiro level the tie in the 87th minute, Olimpia are a man down, extra time coming up.

CONCACAF refs are worse than the refs that show up for international hockey. At least during the Gold Cup the US team doesn't have to deal with the fucking cops being parked outside the hotel all night blaring their sirens while a street party takes place.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Gary Hooper going to Norwich.  Thanks for the goals and cash, he's a good player and wish him the best there.

Would quite like Rudnevs from Hamburg from the lot we've been rumored to be in for a replacement.  Any word over there / truth to those, Reise?

Talking Euro League, my new favourite team has to be Breiðablik Kópavogur. If you name your club the same as the home of one of the Norse Gods, you get bonus points. Plus they eliminated Austrians Sturm Graz, which deserves some respect.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Rumors we're targetting Alfred Finnbogasson from Heerenveen.  I'd be thrilled with that.