DVDVR Message Board

July's brand spanking new football/SOCCER thread.

Adam

I will take the initiative to start this months footy thread with news that Wayne Rooney has been sent home 'injured' as his on again-off again-on against transfer to whoever will take him rages on.

FOOTBALLS BACK SOON!

Posted Image

I really can't wait for the football to start again. The Tour de France has not filled the hole in my soul, & even the Confed Cup only briefly worked as a fix, though it was a very nourishing fix while it lasted. But nothing can beat the nitty-gritty of league football, & I'm desperate to see how Ross County cope with having last several key players like Vigurs, Lawson & Oikonomou. Brought in a quartet of Dutchmen though, who've all impressed so far in pre-season friendlies)

(Yeah, sorry, Scottish football is about the only football I can talk about authoritatively, but I figured the thread deserve more than than 1 post)

Mexico avoided adding more fuel to the "Out Chepo" chorus by beating an awful Canadian side with a good set piece and a dive to win a penalty kick. However, they're going to have to blow Martinique into smithereens to avoid putting even more pressure on Chepo to keep his job. Surely he loses his job if he can only draw against Martinique, no?

Chepo will survive so long as Mexico can limp into the GC finals (which let's face it, they will).  But no less than winning the GC will keep him employed, especially if Mexico gets drubbed by a suddenly in-form US (yes, I've been fucking amazed how good the USMNT's looked the past few months as opposed to 6 months ago when I was sure they weren't gonna clear the Hex.)

Messi is FSW's new point man in the race to piss off Chicagoans.

How great would it be if we had a picture of a sad Punk outside Soldier Field holding his "signed t-shirt" and saying "I paid more for this than Barrett got for his Payback payout."

Norwich adds another shrewd Dutch buy after the capture of Van Wolfswinkel by signing former Everton target and NT-capped midfielder Leroy Fer from Twente.  Add the capture of Martin Olsson, and they're quietly having a very good summer in the transfer market (especially for a team of their relative stature).  Better than Arsenal's to date, that's for sure.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Victor Wanyama transferred to Southampton for 12.5 m pounds.  Great bit of business considering Celtic bought him for 900k from Beerschot.  Deal supposedly has a sell-on clause so could even reap more straight cash homey down the line. 

Mystified why a club like Arsenal wouldn't be in for that price.  The kid is the real deal. 

Big hole to fill now, but at least there's a load of dosh laying around.  It sounds like Hooper will be moving on this window as well. 

Wenger missing out Wanyama is truly mystifying, especially since a defensive midfielder should be a top priority, and he's half the price of Fellaini while having the potential to be just as good.  That's the type of signing he would have made in his sleep back in the day.  I really have no fucking clue what Arsenal are doing, especially after talking up how they were going to spend this year.  A comedy bid for Suarez and protracted negotiations over Higuain that feel increasingly as though they will lead to nowhere?  But hey, Wenger scored a French prospect on a free!  Plus ça change, n'est-ce pas?

• Like 1

I only feel that I can speak with any little bit of authority on MLS, so...

UNION!!!  Le Toux's presence was much-missed in 2012, and since he came back he leads the league in assists, and the team is just finally seeming to play to its potential.  It's still a ways to go in the season, but things are looking good after a rough 2012.

Though with NBC getting the rights to ALL OF THE EPL, I might take the time to study it before the season starts.  Maybe even jump on the fantasy train.  Who knows?

You know, I'd somehow totally missed Stekelenberg going to Fulham as being an official transfer.  Let's see...established #1 keeper for the Netherlands moves from Ajax to a Serie A team for a relatively low transfer fee to avoid losing him for free on a Bosman, has mixed results and confidence begins to suffer, then moves to Craven Cottage largely unheralded based on his "failure" in Italy.  Where have I heard this before?

• Like 1

Wenger missing out Wanyama is truly mystifying, especially since a defensive midfielder should be a top priority, and he's half the price of Fellaini while having the potential to be just as good.  That's the type of signing he would have made in his sleep back in the day.  I really have no fucking clue what Arsenal are doing, especially after talking up how they were going to spend this year.  A comedy bid for Suarez and protracted negotiations over Higuain that feel increasingly as though they will lead to nowhere?  But hey, Wenger scored a French prospect on a free!  Plus ça change, n'est-ce pas?

Apparently Madrid are going to offer Higuain plus money for Suarez. If we went for that, who do your lot go for?

Fuck, who knows.  All in for Fellaini, see if Giroud/Podolski as a strikeforce works out?  Arsenal NEEDS a defensive stopper in midfield above all, I'm not terribly concerned with putting away the chances that are created, just the occasional bouts of defensive frailty.

It was way too long having to live without this particular forum...The second and third biggest deal in the Bundesliga have gone down. After the Goetze-transfer late in the season, Bayern is - once again - involved in the other two big ones.First they sold Gomez to Fiorentina. Gomez apparently asked for the transfer since he wants to play matches and apply for one of the forward positions in the German national squad. Funny enough Jogi Löw´s two top strikers, Gomez and Klose, are now playing in Italy. And both will be playing Euro-League.Thiago Alcantara, who was the Under-21 EURO´s MVP, will strengthen the Bavarian midfield. At the moment it´s really hard NOT to expect a season like last years for Bayern.Just saw Cuba made it to the last 8 in the Gold Cup. Seems to  be quite sensational, thoughts of the CONCACAF experts on that?