DVDVR Message Board

[NXT SPOILERS] FOR MARCH 9, 2016 (Taped 1/27)

RIPPA

Is it just me, or has Sami looked a little, um, Hero-esque around the midsection since his return? It just occurred to me tonight that Joe might not have been the doughiest guy in the ring.

Yeah I was thinking he lost a stride of pace since his return, unusually. It could be the process of finding one's form following a major surgery, but yeah, he's definitely added a few numbers to his body fat count since his comeback. 

I'm not sure how much Sami was able to lift/work out with an injured shoulder, so he probably is a little Hero-seque right now, only for legit reasons. I went back and watched Arrival, and the difference between Sami now and then is pretty stark.

Thought the match was fantastic. Was glued to my set the whole time. Joe looks like an absolute beast and only looked meaner and badder as the match went on. 

One of the things that bugs me about the main roster is the wrestlers have the attention span and memories of a dog. You could spend 6 months trying to get a title match, but the moment another wrestler waves a shiny object in your face, your quest is forgotten and you're now feuding with someone else. Feuds rarely truly conclude and are left open ended but rarely revisited.

This really hurts the face because how can you be invested in someones journey, if the journey isn't going in the logical direction. 

Sami's whole return program to nxt has hit a lot of strange notes. Even before he left it felt like he was main roster ready and was only being held back because of how important he was to nxt. Upon his return, he almost feels out of place as if he's from a different era.  Nxt moves so quickly. His storyline has been about whether he could reclaim the nxt championship. The facts that Owens turned on him, injured him, took his championship and  took his roster spot are an afterthought. (obviously as of last monday that's changing).

I don't think he is as over as he was because the audience is confused by his motivation. 

Is it just me, or has Sami looked a little, um, Hero-esque around the midsection since his return? It just occurred to me tonight that Joe might not have been the doughiest guy in the ring.

He looked pretty fit to me last night. The main thing I noticed when he returned was that he bulked up, like he tried adding on muscle. His chest and arms looked bigger and he shaved his chest, which also made him look weird. Now he looks like he's slimming down from trying to add mass.

It reminded me of when Punk would try to put on muscle and then slim back down.

Yeah I was thinking he lost a stride of pace since his return, unusually. It could be the process of finding one's form following a major surgery, but yeah, he's definitely added a few numbers to his body fat count since his comeback. 

Dana Brooke looks like she has the same problem.  She's gonna take some time to get to the same body she was at before the injury.

That match last night was incredible. It was an awesome bully vs. a guy who uses guile and with and speed and agility match. I loved how much of a struggle the first fall was. It felt like that in itself would have been a good match. The second fall was really good, too. It was a bit shorter (as second falls tend to be) but showed Sami's mental strength. It also had a great "Is Joe being strategic with his tap out or is he just being gutless?" Great contrast with the third fall, where Joe's strategy built on the concussive strikes he hit throughout the match (highlighted with that insane boot rake in the corner) and realized that maybe the only way to beat Sami was to give knock him out, since pinning him and making him tap weren't happening. And I loved Sami trying to stay alive with big bombs. Sami pumping his fist after each bomb was also great storytelling -- he's excited but still dazed and lacks his usual composure. The floor dive DDT is one of my favorite spots ever. What a move. Great "Return of the Jedi" ending with the bad guy winning and do so in clean fashion.

Sami's lost so many "big" matches. That's why he's the best -- he's always an underdog who has a struggle to overcome. Love him so much.

There was a lot of shit you never see anymore such as Joe willing to take the win via ten count. That was cool.  Also, the win via "pass out" is a favorite of mine and perfect for a guy like Sami who is an ultimate never give up babyface. He's fairly well protected, Joe looks like a monster, it all worked out perfectly.

One of my more old-school wrestling-fan friends feels that faces should NEVER tap out under any circumstances.

• 2 weeks later...