DVDVR Message Board

[NXT SPOILERS] FOR MARCH 9, 2016 (Taped 1/27)

RIPPA

The WON spoilers are a mess so these are from PWI. I think I have the air dates right.

Dark Match: Adrienne Reese def. Billie Kay (w/Sylvester Lefort)

Week 1
- William Regal comes out and discusses the behavior of Baron Corbin. He says that Baron deserves disciplinary action, but Regal was talked out of it by Austin Aries. Regal then announces that Baron Corbin vs. Austin Aries will happen at Takeover: Dallas

- Samoa Joe def. Sami Zayn to become the number one contender to the NXT Championship in a Two out of Three Falls match. Joe wins the match, 2 falls to 1.
- Post Match: Joe cuts a promo about becoming NXT champion.

( Yes, this was the only match of the episode and worth going out of your way to see)

I love how 2-out-of-3 is the "go to" stipulation match for NXT.  I'm a little less psyched about going back to Joe-Balor as I would have liked to see some development leading into Balor turning to set up Finn-Anderson-Gallows as a faction while keeping the strap on Finn.  I think that would have been set up better with Finn facing someone like Sami on the Dallas Takeover stage.

Well I'm pretty sure they are putting the belt on Joe - especially if they are going to do something with the whole Balor Club thing. It's also hard to imagine them having Joe constantly losing title matches.

Sami is in that weird limbo where he kinda is on the main roster and kinda isn't and it's doubtful they would want him as champ when clearly their plans change for him daily.

So this Sami-Joe match is getting reviews from 1 star to 5 stars.  According to Meltzer some people are saying it is awful.  I don't get how that can be.

I read Joe vs. Zayn 2-3 Falls getting mixed reviews. The match might not meet expectations but awful? Have to wait and see.

So this Sami-Joe match is getting reviews from 1 star to 5 stars.  According to Meltzer some people are saying it is awful.  I don't get how that can be.

I read Joe vs. Zayn 2-3 Falls getting mixed reviews. The match might not meet expectations but awful? Have to wait and see.

The person who wrote the WON recap wrote

Samoa Joe beat Sami Zayn 2/3 falls to earn the NXT title match at TakeOver. Mixed reviews, some liked it, some disappointed in it. It went 35 minutes. Notes were "Some say match of the year and some will say it will have to be edited and was a huge letdown." 

So "some" is fucking vague it could be one pissy person.

Our own Tim Evans loved it (reading his time line) however he did make this comment...

Tim Evans ‏@timmy8271  16h16 hours ago Florida, USA

I think @DylanWaco nigh hate some of the no selling but god I loved that. Will be hard to top 

I love how 2-out-of-3 is the "go to" stipulation match for NXT.  I'm a little less psyched about going back to Joe-Balor as I would have liked to see some development leading into Balor turning to set up Finn-Anderson-Gallows as a faction while keeping the strap on Finn.  I think that would have been set up better with Finn facing someone like Sami on the Dallas Takeover stage.

I think Corbin would've worked better here. Corbin finally picks on the biggest Indy kid in NXT, the champion. Unfortunately for Corbin, Balor's brought in his Balor Club to make sure Corbin learns his lesson. Corbin gets comeuppance by getting beat down by the Indy/Japan darlings and you plant seeds for Balor becoming a paranoid champion who needs his buddies to save him and his title.

I just can't see how anyone could hate Zayn/Joe. Joe was on fire in that match just beating the heck out of Zayn. First fall felt like an old NWA title match from the 80's. The "no selling" I mentioned was in the second fall where Zayn "hulked up" basically. Then he got destroyed in the third so it was all good. Best match I've seen in Full sail since the Sasha/Bayley matches.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

This was a very good match mostly because Joe is compelling dishing out punishment to a really great bumper and seller like Sami is. Sami was selling strikes by slumping into the ropes as if they gave him a concussion, one of his favorite ways to sell accumulated damage.

I must say that in the second and third falls, Joe was trying to go for knockouts on Sami, and I couldn't help but compare it to Kevin Owens doing the same thing last year in his matches with Sami. The latter was more effective because, I felt, Owens was more aggressive and moved quickly to rack up damage on Sami. Joe played it cooler, which I understand since it does fit with his character, but I think that his frustration would have hit home a bit more if he did a bit more to Sami offensively when trying to knock him out.

I enjoyed this match quite a bit. It wasn't as good as Neville/Bálor from the previous week, which I'm sort of surprised that I'm saying, but it was still very much worth seeing. 

Having not read any spoilers I was pleasantly surprised they gave Joe the win here. The Coquina Clutch is the most established death move in the entire company.

Another cool thing was having a variety of the roster ringside (and the random dude from Tool). It's those subtle decorations that make NXT feel so special and alluring to me.

Joe put on a striking clinic in there tonight.

I guess Zayn popping up on the last countdown was the "controversial" selling some were talking about. I had zero problem with it. I don't mind the 1-count/fire-up routine when used judiciously.

There was a lot of shit you never see anymore such as Joe willing to take the win via ten count. That was cool.  Also, the win via "pass out" is a favorite of mine and perfect for a guy like Sami who is an ultimate never give up babyface. He's fairly well protected, Joe looks like a monster, it all worked out perfectly.

Yeah, I'd say the match was certainly good, but not MOTY level for me. I think it would've worked better as a one-fall match with Joe wearing Zayn down with his nifty strike combos then ultimately winning by ref stoppage. The slow opening gave away that they were going long, and didn't make a ton of sense with them "feeling each other out" in a long-ish match two weeks ago plus the margin for error being greater in a two-fall format. Definitely some cool sequences in the second and third acts, but the epic-ness was a bit forced.

• Like 1