DVDVR Message Board

The worst final roles for actors before they died?

Ellsworth Toohey

The Raul Julia Street Fighter story is similar to what Bette Davis said about doing Return from Witch Mountain. Apparently her grand kids didn't believe she was a famous actress so she took a role that she thought they would be able to see her in.

Speaking of, Wicked Stepmother is a pretty terrible movie.

Other fun Connery trivia (via IMDB): "Connery stated in an interview that he was taking martial arts lessons and in the process angered the instructor who in turn broke his wrist. Connery stayed with the wrist broken for a number of years thinking it was only a minor pain... the instructor was Steven Seagal."

Breaking an old man's wrist on purpose is the Steven Seagaliest thing.

[seagal]I AM THE LEGEND KILLAH!!!![/seagal]

Steven Seagal as the original Legend Killer.  It's uncanny how much sense that makes.

Other fun Connery trivia (via IMDB): "Connery stated in an interview that he was taking martial arts lessons and in the process angered the instructor who in turn broke his wrist. Connery stayed with the wrist broken for a number of years thinking it was only a minor pain... the instructor was Steven Seagal."

Breaking an old man's wrist on purpose is the Steven Seagaliest thing.

[seagal]I AM THE LEGEND KILLAH!!!![/seagal]

Steven Seagal as the original Legend Killer.  It's uncanny how much sense that makes.

But at the same time, Sean Conney shows how badass he is.

A broken wrist? Tis just a flesh wound.

As for Raul Julia, Down Came a Blackbird is actually a pretty good movie. He was really physically sick during the filming and you can tell just by watching that he didn't have long to live, but he sank everything he had into it.

As much as I loved Captain America: The First Avenger and I'm sure I'll enjoy the sequel, I do hope that either Robert Redford, given how few films he's done over the last decade, either does another "Oscar bait" movie after Winter Soldier or that that movie where he's sailing on a boat comes out after Winter Soldier so that won't be his final film role in case he decides to focus on directing/Sundance in his waning years.

First thing that came to mind was Paul Newman in Cars.

But he's great in Cars.
Some days I feel bad for Johnny. We have to frustrate him each and every day but there's probably nowhere on the internet that he'd be frustrated less."Why can't you squares just LIKE stuff?" At least we like some things Johnny. At least we like some things.
The deal with Cars is that grown nerds who still dont have drivers liscences who live to watch children's cartoons can't relate. Add in the instant hate for Larry the Cable guy and Owen Wilson, despite both guys being fucking great, with a dash of "I hate NASCAR" and not feeling the whole love of small towns...Well, you get a bunch of grown men who hate on a truly wonderful, emotional, and incredibly made film.

David Niven: Returned as Charles Litton for 1982's Trail of the Pink Panther and 1983's Curse of the Pink Panther, which were filmed back-to-back (both are dreadful movies that exploited Peter Sellers' passing, although Roger Moore had a decent cameo at the end of "Curse").  Niven was dealing with ALS at the time of his filming, and his speech was so slurred that Rich Little had to dub some of his lines in post-production. 

Laurel and Hardy: Final film was Utopia (1951, also known as Atoll K).  Not as bad as it's made out to be, but clearly one of their worst films.  Both were dealing with severe health problems during productions -- Stan looks skeletal and required life-saving surgery after filming, while Ollie appears to be about 100 pounds above the weight he was in his "prime."  Add to that the poor dubbing of the other actors (all the other actors spoke French and Italian), and the movie is a bit of a mess, although the dynamic duo shine in some scenes.

JD

You know for those of you who aren't Transformers-savvy it might help to explain that Orson Welles wasn't really playing a Transformer so much as he was playing an Eldritch Abomination that happened to take the form of a planet-devouring robot...

I think it was on a commentary for the 20th anniversary DVD, but someone said that when Welles came in, he said "I understand I'm playing a planet".  For some reason I love that.

It's a good thing that Tom Selleck ended up on a pretty decent TV show, because I'd hate for his last memories to be in those Jesse Stone films.

• 3 weeks later...

Fluff read my mind.  I've kept thinking Please don't let anyone say Vic Morrow, please.  That poor man and those kids.  :(

This.  It would be like the smartasses who vote Owen Hart when people ask about worst wrestling botches.

EDIT: can we disqualify Brandon Lee similarly? 

Fluff read my mind.  I've kept thinking Please don't let anyone say Vic Morrow, please.  That poor man and those kids.  :(

This.  It would be like the smartasses who vote Owen Hart when people ask about worst wrestling botches.

To be fair, The Crow was probably his best role anyways. I don't know how iconic it would be if he lived, though.

One of David Carridine's last movies was that classic Dinocroc vs. SuperGator

Veronica Lake's last film was Flesh Feast, a movie about a group of Nazis who try to revive Adolph Hitler's corpse so they can take over the world.

Also, Something's Got To Give with Marilyn Monroe was considered a crappy and unfunny film by pretty much everyone involved in it. The 40 minutes or so footage that was eventually released attests to that.

The Crow was fucking awesome and Brandon was pretty amazing, so that wouldn't be included here at all.