DVDVR Message Board

Raw 1-25-16 - The Rock Returns and Saves WWE for One Night

MGFanJay

Let's also not forget Trish spending half of her matches pulling her pants up.

How could we? I forgot to mention Emma earlier so make that 7th or 8th best for Trish. Once Athena debuts on NXT prime Trish would have real trouble cracking(no pun intended) today's top 10.

Let's also not forget Trish spending half of her matches pulling her pants up.

Do you hold that against Samoa Joe too?

And I can't believe people can't understand this general argument as a pure hypothetical. No one is saying Trish's body of work is better than Sasha, Asuka, or Bayley. They're saying that if Trish was born 15 years later and came up in the same system, she'd very likely have a much better body of work based on what she was able to do in the early 2000s. It's totally disingenuous to say she would be worse than everyone today without acknowledging how bad most of the girls today would've tanked in 2000.

And to be clear, I'm saying the culture surrounding women's wrestling in WWE in 2000 SUCKED. The fact that Trish overcame that culture to the point where we're having a debate about whether or not she was actually good compared to "real" wrestlers in 2016 is what makes her stand out.

The fact that Trish overcame that culture to the point where we're having a debate about whether or not she was actually good compared to "real" wrestlers in 2016 is what makes her stand out.

That's very clever, I mean that - but you're basically saying that the fact that some people are saying she was that damn good means that she must actually be that damn good, and the naysayers' POV are essentially irrelevant.

giphy.gif

It's only a few years but this really is like comparing baseball players from the 40s to players from the 90s and beyond.  Trish came up with no system in place. Yes, she had Finlay as a trainer but she didn't spend a few years at a multimillion dollar facility learning her craft and competing against women with the same drive and work ethic or even women with years of experience under their belt.  She had to learn on the fly. She was eventually put in there with Molly and Mickie James and Jazz but that was around 2003 and she retired in 2006 or '07.  So we're talking about a 3-year run and to me it was damn impressive what she was able to accomplish in that time.

Also, in-ring work isn't the whole story.  Are Paige and Charlotte ever going to be able to cut a quality promo? I don't know. I'd agree with placing Sasha and Emma and obviously Asuka above Trish as performers but I'm not willing to say the other two are better just yet and they certainly do not have the body of work that some are arguing.. 

There were entire debates on this very forum about what's wrong with Charlotte? What's wrong with Paige?  Now we're going to pretend those conversations didn't happen..   :lol:

• Like 1

There's no point in a "past vs. present" debate if both sides of the argument don't acknowledge context. The present is pretty much always going to be undeniably better by present standards.

That's a silly argument, especially on a board like this that recognizes a ton of 70s and 80s dudes as being much better than people today.

You could say the same thing about the men. No one is over with todays audience the only hot WWE crowds are the smark heavy ppvs and NXT shows. I don't think a women's match from that time period ever had a crowd as hot as Sasha vs Bayley from Brooklyn. I also find it interesting how the "psychos" in the NXT audience don't give any love to the women for their looks. They hate Eva, they heeled on Carmella, Alexa was never over as a face, and Becky didn't get over until the Sasha match. I like the fact that women have to do more to get over now than oil up their tits and dance on a table, or wrestle with their thong sticking out.

Trish doesn't have a better brawl than Charlotte/Sasha on NXT TV 7/15/15 IMO, and I have seen those Victoria street fights. I'd put the second match Charlotte had for the title against Nikki Bella, that 7/15/15 Sasha match, and the four-way from TakeOver: Rival up against any three matches Trish has ever had in her career, and I enjoyed the Mickie James match and Lita matches (which I assume are the first three matches that would come to mind for a typical Trish fan) for the spectacle, as well as Trish's heel work against Lita in general. 

My point being is that you have absolutely fantastic workers in NXT, and they have ridiculously good matches. The problem is that they get hamstrung when they get to the main roster and their matches on Raw/Smackdown/PPV looking considerably weaker. When you had the Women's Division, there was no developmental for them to come up from that was doing anything noticeable so the good and the bad got the same airtime. I'm not taking anything away from NXT, because where women's wrestling is concerned..hell..wrestling in general is concerned it's a far better product.

I really don't see the problem in a male being a big fan of a female wrestler. Calling those fans "psychos" is a bit rude, too. I guess adult male John Cena fans standing next to kids who also happen to be John Cena fans and trying to get his t-shirt or hat or armband that's thrown into the crowd are also psychos? It's when that fandom crosses over into creepy territory that things get weird. Wanting the merch that Bayley (or anyone) gives away to the crowd isn't weird, that's crowd participation. She just happens to be a kid friendly character, like John Cena, so that's why she ignores the adult fans wanting the same thing as the kids in attendance.

I, personally, wouldn't wear any of Bayley's merch, because it's fucking embarrassing, but if an adult male at a wrestling show is inclined to show support for his favorite female wrestler... who the fuck cares? Are we now assuming all of the male fans just want to fuck Bayley or something instead of appreciating her skills inside the ring?

• Like 1

I'm wearing a Bayley shirt right now, so grains of salt...

I really don't find her sexually attractive. She's cute, but she's an amazingly endearing character and was in my two favorite matches of 2015.

• Like 1

Now speaking about something that does not inspire violent urges. 

Eva did not set the world on fire on the main roster. i can't really think of anyone post Sable who got over based on looks without charisma or basic ability in the ring. 

I probably mentioned this before. But I collect old wrestling magazines. They are fairly cheap, even stuff from the early 70's. One trend I notice is you get letters and occasional columns talking about how womens wrestling is on the verge of being huge. The names change from Wendy Richter to Misty Blue Simms to Madusa/Alundra Blaze to Trish Stratus. The Sable period was interesting because it came across as a genie wish gone horribly wrong. 

Trish is the closest it ever came to seeming like a big deal like fans wanted. Then Trish retired and WWE tried really hard to replace her with Candice Michelle and Kelly Kelly and it never taking. 

I don't really see this latest surge taking. AJ Lee got really over because she got to work alongside men, but then she basically refused to put anyone over. She lost the title twice on banana peels and went home. Nikki Bella being champion for 70 years did no one any favors. 

The stuff with Charlotte might work because Ric Flair gives it some credibility. 

Are we now assuming all of the male fans just want to fuck Bayley 

I think that is the safest bet you could make.

You were actually the person I was thinking of when I wrote that, because I remembered you got some of her shirts for Christmas or something. :P I personally don't care for any of her merch, but I don't see a problem with a male fan wearing that stuff. Or trying to get a hug from Bayley, or her wrist/arm bands. Where's the harm? I mean, I would buy Asuka's new shirt in a heartbeat. And I might, actually. And I would totally try to get a high five or whatever if I went to an NXT show, because I'm a huge fan.

EDIT: Vic, that's also the most insulting bet you could take, too. Not all male wrestling fans watch the female talent purely because of their bodies. Some of us can actually ignore that and treat a women's match like a men's match, and not sexualize it.

EDIT: Vic, that's also the most insulting bet you could take, too. Not all male wrestling fans watch the female talent purely because of their bodies. Some of us can actually ignore that and treat a women's match like a men's match, and not sexualize it.

Anybody who says that is a liar. You can enjoy it but there is a sexual element to it. Trying to ignore that is very unhealthy.