DVDVR Message Board

Raw 1-25-16 - The Rock Returns and Saves WWE for One Night

MGFanJay

-I LOVE The Social Outcasts.  I hope they get a big segment at WM with whatever large-ish celebrity they bribe to hang out for the night.

-Part of me wonders if WWE swerves the fans and gives Ambrose the win at FL to guarantee that the crowd will boo Triple H on the night and not make the show all about people who aren't in the ring (A Reigns win seems guaranteed to bring about "C.M. Punk! Daniel Bryan! AJ Styles!" chants).  There were some hints that Ambrose could be the guy tonight, he wasn't totally destroyed and left laying while Reigns beat everyone, was left to celebrate with Reigns, not just quietly disappear.  I mean, it will still almost definitely be Reigns but...

-For all the naysayers with their "Looking forward to the 20 minute Triple H promo tomorrow!", it only went 15 minutes! Actually, truth be told, I thought the promo was one of HHH's better ones in a while.

-I do love that the theme of the night is for wrestlers in matches to impress the Authority.  So kayfabe-wise, Kevin Owens, struggling through a hellacious match last night, cleanly pins former 2-time world champ Ziggler.  AJ Styles, in his Raw debut, defeats 6-time world champ Chris Jericho cleanly.  Bray Wyatt defeats multiple-time World Champion Kane.  Kalisto defeats former World Champ/WM main eventer The Miz cleanly.  Then Reigns/Ambrose beat Rusev (former US champ) and Sheamus (former multiple-time World Champ), put Rusev through a table afterwards and somehow THAT is the most impressive win of the night, not any of the other SINGLES wins that were all clean (Save for Bray), but the two guys putting one through a table, THAT gets them into a main event along with a guy who wasn't even there.  Makes sense...

• Like 3

"We really don't like Roman Reigns and don't want him to be the WWE Champion because he doesn't respect us and doesn't play by our rules, so let's go out of our way to make sure we take the title off him, but the very next night we're going to give him a free, unsolicited shot at competing for the WWE championship next month at our PPV."

- The Authority

My gripe of these kind of angles for years...

With Austin-McMahon they ended up having to go through all kinds of convoluted routes  to keep Austin around the title. Now they don't even try and honestly I'm not sure which is worse.....

Xavier sure was legitimately pissed at that Byron Saxton snub by the Rock. I like Kofi's "watch the product" follow-up

Yeah but Woods followed it up with, "But that's not saying much.  I'm the best on commentary anyway"  Kofi had the win though with, "We was in a straight line, though."

Was Charlotte the biggest heel on the night?  I swear she got the loudest boos.

Who did we piss off to deserve that segment with The Rock? It just kept going and going and wouldn't end! It legit felt like it was an hour long. Poor New Day for having to be dragged down to a Rock segment.

What???  New Day were having a blast and you could tell that this was the highlight of all of their careers especially Xavier, talking shit and then taking bumps. Poor New Day nothing! They felt like a big deal and delivered.

• Like 7

Loved the Rock's segment, especially with New Day and Big Show. Also was happy to see Charlotte cheap shot Becky & Sasha. It might be the biggest heel heat she has gotten and means Becky will still be relevant for a little while longer. Reigns/Ambrose vs. Sheamus/Rusev was ok. I don't understand the logic of Reigns & Ambrose being given a no. 1 contenders match, but I honestly don't care because I get both against Brock. I've wanted to see Brock vs. Reigns again since their last match and wanted see Ambrose vs. Brock for nearly two years now.

Good show overall.  AJ/Jericho was a nice match and AJ came off pretty impressive.  I'm not as down on midlife crisis Jericho as most people, but I have no desire to see he and AJ get into a program.  Kalisto/Miz was surprisingly good and I say this as someone who avoids Miz when he's wrestling at all costs.

"We really don't like Roman Reigns and don't want him to be the WWE Champion because he doesn't respect us and doesn't play by our rules, so let's go out of our way to make sure we take the title off him, but the very next night we're going to give him a free, unsolicited shot at competing for the WWE championship next month at our PPV."

- The Authority

Maybe they assume that Brock will murder both Reigns and Ambrose for their amusement like he destroyed Cena and Rollins last year? 

They had to put up the title shot to get this match because Lesnar ain't wrestling unless he can get the shot. 

Why not Lesnar vs. Ambrose then? This shit makes less than zero sense.

Because they want Reigns killed dead too?

I agree that it makes no sense, but we have to assume that they're sadists who want to use their monster to inflict pain, and giving him a title shot via that match is the only way to get him to fight. 

Making him fight his best friend and some unstoppable killing machine is a great way to screw with the guy you're trying to keep down.

I'm just wondering if this leads to Roman and Dean turning on or just getting pissed off at eachother that leads to a Mania match while Brock goes on to face HHH, but that would be a totally anticlimactic and diversionary way to take the Authority/Roman program.

Who did we piss off to deserve that segment with The Rock? It just kept going and going and wouldn't end! It legit felt like it was an hour long. Poor New Day for having to be dragged down to a Rock segment.

What???  New Day were having a blast and you could tell that this was the highlight of all of their careers especially Xavier, talking shit and then taking bumps. Poor New Day nothing! They felt like a big deal and delivered.

Xavier's reaction to finding himself trapped in the ring with Rock was so great.  He was like that bad guy in the boat at the end of The Lost World.

• Like 1

Oh, and whatever Rock was on tonight?  I want some ASAP.  He was floating on a cloud.

Whatever, apparently, was being passed around the set of BALLERS to get people through a 14 hour shoot.

They probably had to give him a direct shot of Adenosene backstage afterword to keep his heart from going into A-Fib though.

The cool thing about the Rock is if they actually did run a Rock, Usos Vs. New Day match at some point, he might actually take the pin from one of the New Day clan.  It wouldn't be clean, but I could see it going down.

Jericho really stinks. He couldn't keep up with AJ, and was calling spots people outside the building could hear. Charlotte is the best pure heel in WWE. I always thought she was the most unlikeable person in NXT so it's nice to see them give her a heel run. Rock/New Day ruled. Reigns' reaction doesn't warrant his push he doesn't come off like a star above anyone else despite the effort. Why would the Authority risk having Brock face HHH? I guess it's because HHH already handled him at Mania lol. They had a good two hour show in there somewhere.

I kinda cracked up when Cole was like "Ambrose remembers what the League did to Roman and this is payback" when they were setting up the table spot. Ambrose keeps getting booked into punishment matches because of Reigns, takes beatdowns because of Reigns, and tries to enact revenge for things done to Reigns...meanwhile Roman can't even friggin' help his buddy win the title at the Rumble because he's too busy crying over being eliminated.

Worst. Friend. Ever.

Ambrose is totally eating the pinfall in the three way and when he eventually turns on Roman for the obvious post-Mania program, I won't blame him one bit.

I'm in the camp of never really wanting to see the Styles Clash, again. The last thing they need is more neck injuries.

I've seen 3 of the 4 "Botched" Styles Clashes. None of them were AJ's fault. I can't believe people believe this move is so dangerous that there was no problem with Michelle McCool using it as a finish.

I'm in the camp of never really wanting to see the Styles Clash, again. The last thing they need is more neck injuries.

I've seen 3 of the 4 "Botched" Styles Clashes. None of them were AJ's fault. I can't believe people believe this move is so dangerous that there was no problem with Michelle McCool using it as a finish.

...and Crash Holly before that.

The problem I have with the Styles Clash is it's a ridiculous finisher.  It's a less hurty, more convoluted flapjack.

• Like 1