DVDVR Message Board

The Big Game, v.50

steve

It's like my father's moronic views on football given national media life. And he's only vaguely prejudiced. I think I yelled most of it out of him when I was young.

• Like 1

I think the majority of people who hope the Panthers win (which I am) without a real dog in the fight are doing it because it will piss off the Jim Nantz "will someone please think of the children" kind of people.   Like I mentioned in another thread, I bet that during Super Bowl 3 people were dying to see Joe Namath fall on his ass because they hate his style and arrogance and frankly the people that liked him.  

All the people who hate the way Cam acts would kill to have them on their team.  Hell most teams actually have a Cam on their team is just that they aren't very good 

LOL @ this Newton argument. The last thing uptight white folk like to see is a dominant black player enjoying his dominance. He should be stoic and maybe even thankful to the league owners for their graciousness in allowing him to ply his trade, right? What's with this "he should be like Jim Brown or Barry Sanders?" Picking two black dudes who "knew how to act?" That's offensive.

Don't want a dude to laugh and dance? Play better defense. White QBs celebrate all the damn time. When Newton does it he's "uppity," I guess. This is the same shit we saw with Griffin and Kaepernick. White QB arrogance is reimagined as confidence and leadership while arrogant black QBs are just considered "thugs" who don't "play the game the right way." Wilson is the exception to the rule because he's a bible-thumper and doesn't make a show of himself.

This is why I want to see Carolina win. Bullshit like this.

EDIT: not meant as an attack on sabremike. I want to give you the benefit of a doubt and assume that's not what you mean. I've just been hearing shit like this all season and it's a disgusting double standard.

I think JJ Watts is just as bad and if you want to argue he doesn't get the same heat I won't argue. Besides the class/sportsmanship thing my biggest problem with the showboating is that when you show someone up it leads to retaliation and problems (see the Panthers vs Odell from this season).

Wow, thanks for mentioning Watt.  He proves my point exactly.  Aside from Deadspin calling Watt a fraud, I don't see anybody knocking him over his schtick.  I'll take "guy who celebrates a little too much" over "humorless varsity jacket-wearing clod who holds himself up as the paragon of football virtue" any day of the week.

• Like 1

I'll preface this by saying I like JJ Watt, and have no problem with him whatsoever.

But there was that one time he said he had a log cabin that was minimalistic and in the middle of nowhere, when it's like 2.5 miles from a Starbucks and has a giant garage/barn.

$800K selling price

4500 sq ft

4 Bedrooms/2.5 Bathrooms

36 acres of land

Multi-car garage/workshop with its own kitchen

Manicured lawn

Minimalist, my fat ass.  That's practically a mansion.  I could host a Studio 54-esque coke party in that joint.  It's almost a palace!

As a Los Angeles native, my judgement on such things is, to be fair, skewed, but only $800k for ALL that? Must be nice.

$800K selling price

4500 sq ft

4 Bedrooms/2.5 Bathrooms

36 acres of land

Multi-car garage/workshop with its own kitchen

Manicured lawn

Minimalist, my fat ass.  That's practically a mansion.  I could host a Studio 54-esque coke party in that joint.  It's almost a palace!

As a Los Angeles native, my judgement on such things is, to be fair, skewed, but only $800k for ALL that? Must be nice.

Remember about that $800k...  it's still in the middle of yucksville Wisconsin.  

So, yeah, it's nice and all, but personally, I'd rather spend that $800k for a house in Culver City

Also, JJ played field hockey as a kid. That's almost as "middle class white kid" as you can get. 

Wrong. Lacrosse would be almost as middle class white kid as you can get. Or would lacrosse place him in upper class?

I had no idea this was happening this Sunday. I do not like nor follow football. With that said, I always go for the most charismatic players (as the NFL hates all charisma and entertainment), so I have to go with Cam Newton and his Lucha antics. Just as Richard Sherman's great promo skills and Mr. Skittles personality almost made me watch the last two SuperBowls, Cam Newton is now that reason. Hope he does well. There is a 99.9% chance I will not be watching anyways.

I don't feel like this year is getting the HYPE of a normal Super Bowl. Maybe it's because election season and everything. I don't think it'll affect the actual ratings. Maybe it's the match up also. Plus, what the fuck about Cam Newton and celebrations? Who cares about any of that?  It's nonsense. If he wants to dance after a TD, great. Awesome. Let him do it.

• Like 1