DVDVR Message Board

The Big Game, v.50

steve

I remember Matt Stover doing a lot of the scoring for that 2000 Ravens team. A lot of 'nothing but field goal' wins for the Ravens that year. Just a horrible offense. They scored 34 points in the Super a Bowl and 21 came from defense and special teams

A true defense(and ST) wins championships kind of team for possibly the only time ever as nearly all of them have had some sort of offense even if just mediocre.

I remember Matt Stover doing a lot of the scoring for that 2000 Ravens team. A lot of 'nothing but field goal' wins for the Ravens that year. Just a horrible offense. They scored 34 points in the Super a Bowl and 21 came from defense and special teams

Brian Billick, offensive genius*.

* - when he has Randy Moss, Cris Carter, and a rejuvenated Randall Cunningham.

I think Carolina is going to win, though I don't think the Denver defense will allow it to be a blow-out (barring a rash of Pey-Pey ints, of course). Something like 24-14.

I'd throw the 1976 Raiders in as a dark horse best team of all-time. They're often overlooked, and I'm not sure how well their numbers match up, but they had, arguably, the greatest secondary of all time (SOUL PATROL!), Madden is a top 10 coach all time, and Stabler was one of the best QBs of his era and belongs in the hall, Biletnikoff and Branch... underrrated team. 13-1.

Then again, ESPN picked the '83 Raiders as the best Raider team of all time, so what do I know?

Denver's defense against Carolina's offense will be the story of the game.  I like Payton and would love to see him get one more before he taps out, but Carolina's defense is going to step up and shut him down.

Oh man don't remind me.  That team was Brian Billick football at its finest.  Play hard until you get to the 30, then "Oh shit, we've got a guaranteed field goal, don't jeopardize it going for a touchdown!"  It was great winning a Super Bowl, unbearable the other 8 or so seasons.

Denver's defense against Carolina's offense will be the story of the game. I like Payton and would love to see him get one more before he taps out, but Carolina's defense is going to step up and shut him down.

It's bizarre to say, but Carolina has weaknesses, particularly in the secondary, but I don't think 2016 Peyton Frickin Manning has the arm to exploit them.

I greatly miss Cam Newton: Underrated Guy. Cam Newton: Media Flashpoint is already exhausting. Yes, he's a show off. No that doesn't make him a bad person. Yes it's curious how much pub he gets for it. No it's not all race. No it's not without a racial element. Let the man play.

• Like 1

Is it OK to say Cam is an amazing player whose look at me antics are a bore that only distract from his talent? I say act like Jim Brown (except for the throwing women off balconies thing).

Also think Cam being the heel here has much to do with the fact he's facing the sympathetic legend who people want to see have that last great moment. If he were facing Brady there's no doubt he'd be (in the words of Jim Cornette) St. Peter's best friend as the super babyface.

Is it fair to expect someone in 2016 to behave like someone who played 50-60 years ago? Not even Cam specifically, but culture is general was so drastically different.

At the end of the day, it's entertainment. The pearl clutching is exhausting.

Now, if you wanna address how much he turned it up this year and how it seems as though it was a marketing plan to some degree... Now that's an interesting conversation.

Is it fair to expect someone in 2016 to behave like someone who played 50-60 years ago? Not even Cam specifically, but culture in general was so drastically different.

Fine, Barry Sanders then.

To be fair, I'm just messing with you. If I were a player, you'd love me. I'd be the 4th Manning brother. I've never been bothered by dudes with flamboyant personalities, though. I guess because I grew up watching coked up pro wrestlers.

LOL @ this Newton argument.  The last thing uptight white folk like to see is a dominant black player enjoying his dominance.  He should be stoic and maybe even thankful to the league owners for their graciousness in allowing him to ply his trade, right?  What's with this "he should be like Jim Brown or Barry Sanders?"   Picking two black dudes who "knew how to act?"  That's offensive.

Don't want a dude to laugh and dance?  Play better defense.  White QBs celebrate all the damn time.  When Newton does it he's "uppity," I guess.  This is the same shit we saw with Griffin and Kaepernick.  White QB arrogance is reimagined as confidence and leadership while arrogant black QBs are just considered "thugs" who don't "play the game the right way."  Wilson is the exception to the rule because he's a bible-thumper and doesn't make a show of himself.

This is why I want to see Carolina win.  Bullshit like this.

EDIT: not meant as an attack on sabremike.  I want to give you the benefit of a doubt and assume that's not what you mean.  I've just been hearing shit like this all season and it's a disgusting double standard.

• Like 4