DVDVR Message Board

The Big Game, v.50

steve

I will not have you sully the NFL's intellectual property by starting a thread using THOSE WORDS without having the express written consent of the National Football League. 

Also, Denver's going to lose by 100. 

• Like 1

I feel so much better about Panthers/Broncos than I did Panthers/Patriots. 

41-17 Panthers. Denver starts out well enough, their defense spends far too much time on the field, gets tired, eventually we open it right up. Peyton retires during the post game.

Come on guys. All Manning needs is like 300 trillion stem cells and he'll be in control of this.

I really like the world I live in. And part of that world includes Peyton having less rings than his brother. Forever.

• Like 3

I love each and every one of you that's posted in here right now so far.

I'll be the lonely former Pey-Pey girl, standing against the wind. . . :(

blowing-in-the-wind-fashion-girl-hair-re

...a wind that would send any pass he throws directly into the ground.

• Like 5

OK, coming over here to actually talk football in the football area from that Royal Rumble thread.

To Josh Mann: I never argued that the Panthers were undeserving, so I'm not sure why you felt that you had to argue that they weren't. They certainly are. They're likely the best team in the league even if they lose to the Donks. 

To Vincey Greene: No, I wouldn't say the 2014 Seahawks are as good as the Panthers. Talent on the field might be similar, but the coaching in CAR was simply far superior this year. 

I wouldn't say that the DeBartolo 49ers are the only teams that would be better than the Panthers. At least two of those Parcells' Giants teams from the '80s, the Jimmy Johnson Cowboys teams of the '90s, probably the Donks' teams that won back-to-backs, the '02 Ravens, probably three or four Belicheck Patriot teams (though probably only one of the Super Bowl winners, funny enough) and yes, the '12 Seahawks. That's off the top of my head. And no, whether they win or lose (let's hope win because I want to see all the haters get salty that Cam has a ring and also Donkeys fans can be pretty mean), that won't change things. 

And my point about the Giants wasn't that CAR is also 9-7. My point was that the best team doesn't always win the title since Josh Mann was insistent that only wins matter. Well, for a Lombardi, sure, but not for deciding who is the best team of all time. Also, you don't know what a strawman is. 

Really, that's a fool's argument anyway. Because football, of all sports, is probably the trickiest to cross eras with to determine any kind of historical ranking. Most other sports, the biggest difference is bigger/stronger/faster. For football, it's that versus rules disparity versus ability to put a team together versus at-the-time style of play coupled with learning curve on said style at that particular time, to name just a few disparities. There are A LOT of advanced and unanswerable variables.

I think the Broncos aren't very good but I'll have to root for them since they knocked off the Pats and Panther fans are oddly obnoxious. 

But I think Denver is in trouble. Unless their defense is in super kill mode and they manage to subdue Cam (which has happened this year but not often) I don't think Denver can put up the points to keep up. I think we will know by the end of the 1st Quarter how the rest of the game will go, it should be pretty clear by then if Denver has what it takes to slow down the Panthers or not. If the Panthers score 24+ points I think they win.

Well, IMO, for the general NFL fan who has no rooting interest in either team, this is going to be one hard game to watch and care about unless somehow Denver pulls off a miracle.  It really could be one of the classic beatdowns from years past.

So, have there been any commercial teasers?  The only one I know about is that Nintendo's doing a live-ac Pokemon commercial...

Panthers joined the NFL 20 years ago - they have made the Super Bowl now twice.

Jags joined the same time - zero

But that's okay

Neither have the Lions or Browns and they have been around since the Super Bowl started  ;)