DVDVR Message Board

ROYAL RUMBLE 2016 POST SHOW

RIPPA

Double posted but serious question: Why do the babyfaces always cheat? The Usos were first to take a cheap shot outside the ring against New Day, Roman sits out most of the Rumble ... I don't get it.

While I've been watching 80's wrestling for a while now getting ready to cross into 90's, I can tell you

This has been a staple of WWE/WWF Match layouts since at least 87.  JCP/Turner never really did it, but in WWF, it was all over the place.  A lot of times the faces would cheat before being wrong themselves.  Shit, Hogan was notorous for it.  And always cheering the faces on while they cheated was Vince whenever he was lead, which was every SNME and some off PPV's.  Monsoon always played it as "well, they're fighting fire with fire", but Heenan and Ventura *always* called Vince or Gorilla on condoning it. Monsoon would back down if Jesse or Bobby were right, but Vince never did.  

Interesting note, Shavonie basically emulated Vince but with a better knowledge of moves during his brief stint in 89-90.

Re: the Authority not firing people/Reigns not just "quitting and going to New Japan" etc.

It's not about logic. It's about ego.

They're all stubborn, egomaniacal alpha males (or females in Stephanie's case). It would be easy to fire Roman, but it would also be painless. They don't like him, and they want to break him, make him suffer. Reigns could go elsewhere, make movies, whatever, but he won't back down because he's just as stubborn as any of them.

I buy it, because most successful athletes, businesspeople, etc. make stupid decisions all the time because they don't want to look weak.

Steph point blank said HHH told her not to fire Roman, even after Reigns went MDK on his ass.  Because HHH wants to stick it to him in the worst way possible, because Roman has said that having the belt means they couldn't automatically fire him.  So taking away what Roman feels was his great asset in terms of job security is in keeping with what HHH would do.

Now, if they use that as a way of Roman going into "I've worked my ass off and have nothing to show for it, everybody dies by my hands because FUCK ALL OF YOU" mode, then let the games begin.

Instead, they put him in a #1 contender's match the very next night.

I wish my bosses would screw me over the way the Authority keeps screwing Reigns. I'd be running the company by now.

bSwGmdq.gif

Bringing the hate.

And this is why I dislike Owens he started every brawl at the Rumble with this spot. By the time he got to Zayn it was like the fourth time he started with that spot and it lost some of its meaning

How else was he supposed to react?  Dudes that he hates just kept coming out one after the other.  It's better than him laying in a corner for the new guy to hit everyone else with a signature move and wait his turn to attack.

That's why I don't understand why they don't run with Owens as Champion.  He literally has a years worth of major feuds already lined up that by the time they're done with and Sami eventually beats him for the title, you've elevated AJ/Ambrose/Sami to a main event scene that desperately needs faces that people actually want to cheer for.

• Like 2

Here's a hypothetical situation I've always wondered about -- what if a guy who is meant to be a big part of the Rumble finish were to accidentally lose grip of the ropes during one of those spots where they nearly get tossed out of the ring? I mean, I know wrestlers have great body control, but what if Trips had fallen out of the ring during Sunday's match? Do they call an audible and have someone else win?

I don't know if they still do it, but for a while they always had a backup winner in case just such a thing happened. Now they'd probably just make something up on the fly and have it erased from history with an Authority promo the next night on Raw

Re: the Authority not firing people/Reigns not just "quitting and going to New Japan" etc.

It's not about logic. It's about ego.

They're all stubborn, egomaniacal alpha males (or females in Stephanie's case). It would be easy to fire Roman, but it would also be painless. They don't like him, and they want to break him, make him suffer. Reigns could go elsewhere, make movies, whatever, but he won't back down because he's just as stubborn as any of them.

I buy it, because most successful athletes, businesspeople, etc. make stupid decisions all the time because they don't want to look weak.

Steph point blank said HHH told her not to fire Roman, even after Reigns went MDK on his ass. Because HHH wants to stick it to him in the worst way possible, because Roman has said that having the belt means they couldn't automatically fire him. So taking away what Roman feels was his great asset in terms of job security is in keeping with what HHH would do.

Now, if they use that as a way of Roman going into "I've worked my ass off and have nothing to show for it, everybody dies by my hands because FUCK ALL OF YOU" mode, then let the games begin.

Instead, they put him in a #1 contender's match the very next night.

I wish my bosses would screw me over the way the Authority keeps screwing Reigns. I'd be running the company by now.

Well, they could've done like what Vince did with Austin when he got put into a match he couldn't win and gave him a title match the next night. /shrugs

Double posted but serious question: Why do the babyfaces always cheat? The Usos were first to take a cheap shot outside the ring against New Day, Roman sits out most of the Rumble ... I don't get it.

This wasn't even as bad as last month when the Usos and Lucha Dragons jumped New Day for celebrating a PPV victory right after New Day sincerely congratulated them on a great match.

Oh, and Raziel is right, Vince loves cheating faces, and Hogan cheated like crazy his whole 80's run on top.

bSwGmdq.gif

Bringing the hate.

And this is why I dislike Owens he started every brawl at the Rumble with this spot. By the time he got to Zayn it was like the fourth time he started with that spot and it lost some of its meaning

What was worse was when Triple H tried to have this big moment later...it had been done by Owens 17 times already.

Here's a hypothetical situation I've always wondered about -- what if a guy who is meant to be a big part of the Rumble finish were to accidentally lose grip of the ropes during one of those spots where they nearly get tossed out of the ring? I mean, I know wrestlers have great body control, but what if Trips had fallen out of the ring during Sunday's match? Do they call an audible and have someone else win?

This would be a great question for the guys who book The Rumble. Who was Plan B? Who was Plan C? How deep does it actually go for the winner and not only the winner but the angles? Does WWE just circle back to plan A come Monday night or do they play it out for a month?

I considered writing something long about the Rumble here, but time is short, so I instead wrote a few notes.

I dislike everyone who dislikes Dean Ambrose, who is one of the two best guys in WWE today (along with Kevin Owens), so it all balances out.  -_-

R-Truth was probably the MVP of the show.

I don't get why Jericho was the "iron man" instead of Styles or someone else who could have really used it. I also didn't get why Lesnar just left instead of murdering someone. They should have sent Axel out THEN and had Brock decapitate him before he could get to the ring. That way they also preserve Axel's "never eliminated from the Rumble" thing which they gained NOTHING from ending anyway (yeah, I know it wasn't a big deal. Whatever).

Strowman was booked well.

I afford Triple H his "ego trips" or whatever on occasion. He's kind of earned it. I just don't get how they're still trying to run with him against Roman (and at MANIA) when the feud has been so dull and poorly written. It didn't NEED to be for the title, right? At least #30 is rising in value. One more victory and it equals #27, right?

I thought the show was mostly "eh", but Ambrose vs. Owens was good stuff (as I expected it to be) minus the contrived finish. I was super pumped at the end of the Rumble match, for what it's worth (I may have just been really excited over the prospect of Ambrose winning, though).

Is it really surprising to people that a company that is creatively controlled by Vince McMahon would think the number one face should not only be the biggest, strongest and most charismatic, but should also think it's fine to cheat in order to beat up pesky bad guys like law enforcement officials, tax collectors and evil foreigners?

Didn't Alex Riley exit too early a couple years ago, and so Miz had to pull Cena out later in the match? There's a lot of funny camera work in that Rumble around that time. I think it's the 40 man rumble. 

Roman was beaten by four guys and put thru a table. He wasn't hiding like Jerry Lawler/Jimmy Hart. Same thing when Austin was taken out in 1999. 

With New Day, how many times are you suppose to let cheap shot artist get the first hit before doing unto others?

Well, they could've done like what Vince did with Austin when he got put into a match he couldn't win and gave him a title match the next night. /shrugs 

If you are referring to after Survivor Series 98, Austin had a title match as a condition for signing a new contract.

Post King Of the Ring 99, he had the title match put into the new contract he gave himself as CEO. 

Of all the guys to complain about getting pushed, you pick Kevin Owens?

Yep because him beating Henry made me ill.

The decision to have KO beat Henry with the pop up powerbomb was wtf. Looked so bad. Kevin has 7 million moves, all of which would have looked more believable.

The absolute worst posts in this threads. Which is saying so damn much considering we talked about video editing for 5 pages.

That spot was dope. Henry is awesome, but they have been jobbing him out for a while now. Owens has been the best guy in the company for the last 6 months and it's really not even that close.

Y'all are lame.

It was a stupid spot because it was clearly all Henry. Which credit to Henry for pulling it off. Also fuck WWE for jobbing him out, when building him up to lose a final match would mean much more. 

I don't really have a problem with Owens. He does a lot of things well. But the finish of that match was stupid.

Roman was beaten by four guys and put thru a table. He wasn't hiding like Jerry Lawler/Jimmy Hart. Same thing when Austin was taken out in 1999. 

But that's exactly what it came off as.  If he was able to get up off the stretcher and walk to the back, he should have walked back into the ring in defiance.  Then he comes flying back out when Sheamus is introduced looking completely fresh and un-injured.  Not a scratch, a limp or a bandage. Compare that to Owens coming out selling almost exactly the same thing (being put through a table) from earlier in the night.

As terrible as she was on TV (oh fucking lord was she terrible), Linda McMahon at least gave them a plausible route through the "why does Austin keep getting title shots/not get fired" questions.

Is it really surprising to people that a company that is creatively controlled by Vince McMahon would think the number one face should not only be the biggest, strongest and most charismatic, but should also think it's fine to cheat in order to beat up pesky bad guys like law enforcement officials, tax collectors and evil foreigners?

Man, Rumble 1994 has maybe the worst version of this shit I've ever seen. Razor vs IRS. There is a ref bump. Razor hits IRS with the briefcase. Note: Razor cheated first here. However, since the ref was down, no one could get the pin. In the meantime, HBK ran out and hit Razor with the fake IC Championship. The ref came to and made the count for IRS. IRS is the winner. Then Earl Hebner comes out and says IRS cheated, so the finish didn't count, even though Razor was the one that cheated first and IRS wasn't even involved in the HBK run in. So the match restarts, but it isn't even announced, and Razor attacks IRS from behind while he's celebrating what he thinks is his crowning WWF achievement. Razor then wins and everyone goes home happy.

And worst of all, Jack Tunney's bogus ass was in the building and let that shit slide. I don't even like IRS and that shit was ridiculous.

• Like 1

It was reasonable to restart the match. Tunney likely gave the go ahead to restart. Ramon was already being pushed as a new type of face, one who was perfectly willing to cheat first.

But that's exactly what it came off as.  If he was able to get up off the stretcher and walk to the back, he should have walked back into the ring in defiance.  Then he comes flying back out when Sheamus is introduced looking completely fresh and un-injured.  Not a scratch, a limp or a bandage. Compare that to Owens coming out selling almost exactly the same thing (being put through a table) from earlier in the night

It would have looked worse to have him injured the rest of the match and made the League look impotent in trying to injure him. He was injured and seeing Sheamus made him pissed enough to get a second wind. 

WWE booking is shitty enough without picking nits.

As terrible as she was on TV (oh fucking lord was she terrible), Linda McMahon at least gave them a plausible route through the "why does Austin keep getting title shots/not get fired" questions. 

I think Vince explaining Austin makes him money is sufficient enough. He wasn't really getting title matches that often. He got one (not counting Deadly Game) between Break Down and Wrestlemania 15. He got two between Over the Edge 99 and him getting ran over at Survivor Series 99.

It was reasonable to restart the match. Tunney likely gave the go ahead to restart. Ramon was already being pushed as a new type of face, one who was perfectly willing to cheat first.

It was such shit. Earl running down to say the heel cheated while conveniently not telling Marella that Razor had cheated first? The match should have been thrown out all together. IRS wasn't even TOLD THE MATCH WAS RESTARTED. The Rhode Island Rim Job. Wait. Rhode Island Racket.