DVDVR Message Board

ROYAL RUMBLE 2016 POST SHOW

RIPPA

Would you prefer I call you a gigantic idiot, cause I can do that instead.

How about instead of pointing out the most minor of detail, why not address why this gigantic company can't, I don't know, do the exact same damned thing they did 15 years ago for big shows? Do they not have the budget anymore to have that type of video editing? And if so, why the same hell do they not?

No, it's far better to just be pedantic instead of responding to the actual issue, which you also highlighted. Or better yet, you can just say whatever bullshit Zheroen said, which is par for the course for that guy too. In any event, the actual video in question was a YouTube video put up on the official WWE channel. They're already going through the effort of taking a clip from whatever non-linear editing software they're using, one that would have tracks for the other feeds occurring at that same time, because that's part of how NLE works. It takes seconds to trim out the clip you want to save and then upload to YouTube. This particular point wasn't addressed.

Yeah, being pedantic about a minor issue about which 99% give zero fucks is just the absolute WORST!  Now instead of talking about the event, I'm going to whine about production choices that will be forgotten within 48 hours of event airing.

Except I did talk about the event, multiple times and at length, none of which you read because you only choose to troll. In fact, I'm in awe at just how obtuse you could be because there you are bitching about how I'm not talking about the event and your two whole posts in this thread have been trolling me in an offensive way and trolling me some more. So, well played on that and getting put on ignore.

If you read this thread, you might get the idea that Dean Ambrose is the second coming of Jackie Gayda.

Holy shit guys, he's not that bad. 

No, he's not, But the more I think about it, the more I realize just how completely disastrous it was that they had Rollins turn traitor instead of Ambrose.

First off, Rollins was thrust into a role he couldn't handle. He doesn't have the promo chops or the charisma to play a devious heel. And then when he had to work main event solo matches, his limits as a worker became apparent. I mean, if there's one thing I agree with stro on, it's that if the WWE is gonna bring in guys like Rollins or Neville or Balor to an environment where they can't do the drivers and brainbusters they could do to 185-lb. guys in the indies, you gotta give them something else to build a moveset with. For instance, Daniel Bryan had matwork and submissions to fall back on. Basically anything other than this "twenty different varieties of enzuigiris" shit would be good.

As bad as Rollins got it though, Ambrose probably got it even worse. His character was designed to be the traitor. He came off cunning and manipulative; hell,it's been mentioned repeatedly on here how much he was aping Ledger's Joker. But when they gave the slot to Rollins instead, Ambrose suddenly shifted from scary nuts to zany fun-lovin' nuts. Even worse, his moveset was tailored to fit the persona. He acts like a joke and works like a joke. This might have made for great comic fodder for piranesi, but for Ambrose all it's done is make a potential top heel into a mediocre midcarder.

• Like 1

Why is Craig so obsessed and insistent that people are trolling him? Home boy is either paranoid or genuinely can't comprehend that some people don't agree with him or care what he's talking about.

I've only made reference to Zheroen with regards to trolling, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. Much like how Casey confused you for Sklb (and still hasn't said "my bad" for it), or whatever that guy's name was, you're lumping in something someone else said for what I said.

I'm fine if you or someone else wants to think that's what WWE wanted, but my point, one shared by others, was that there's a better way to show AJ Styles during his intro that wasn't holding on Roman's utterly confused, squinty-eyed face past the point where fans erupted. 

For what it's worth, either Meltzer or Alvarez said that part of the production crew was stuck in New York, I presume due to the weather?

So maybe that had something to do with some of the weird choices they made last night, like completely missing Kofi's elimination, etc.

Dean Ambroses problem is that he, much like Bray Wyatt, should be having bloody fist fights and arena brawls, and he's in a company that doesn't do those, so instead he's just kinda terrible.

Is he really that terrible, though? He shined in the Rumble match and in the opener. I criticized him for looking lazy, but as a promo, he's fun and has a crazy intensity to him. He also turns it on for certain matches. What I'm most confused about with Ambrose is that they style he wrestled while in the Shield, even as a singles guy, worked better than what he's doing now. That, and the Lunatic Lariat works better in smaller doses instead of every week.

You know, if Stan Hansen goes into the HOF this year maybe he could symbolically pass on the Lariat to Brock. Brock always had a great Stienerline-esq closethline. I'm sure one of Brock's hunting rifle sponsors would sponsor the Brock Lesnar lariat.

"Good news WWE locker room...Suplex City is no more...Welcome to the Lariat Range"

I was laughing my ass off at Xavier coming down the aisle huffing and puffing and Big E rubbing his shoulders only for him to turn to Kofi and Kofi is the actual participant. Xavier is great. 

Except that production totally ruined the bit by popping up #10 Kofi Kingston on screen way too early.

Even Cole was like "Who's it gonna be???!!  ....Oh it's Kofi."

• Like 1

Dean Ambroses problem is that he, much like Bray Wyatt, should be having bloody fist fights and arena brawls, and he's in a company that doesn't do those, so instead he's just kinda terrible.

Guys like Ambrose, Barrett and Wyatt are some of the biggest victims of there not being a WCW.

• Like 1

This is very accurate. He's about the last dude on the roster that needs to be in 14 minute TV matches with 2 commercial breaks and rest holds every week. He should never be in a match longer than 10 minutes on TV, and it should be a brawl, not awkward chain wrestling. Talk about not booking a guy to his strengths. There is probably no one on the roster that gets as exposed by inappropriate booking than him.

Guys like Ambrose, Barrett and Wyatt are some of the biggest victims of there not being a WCW.

Or hell, there being a brand split. I know a lot of people were in favor of doing away with the brand split and it had largely grown irrelevant anyway, but I always worried what it would do to these fringe guys. Maybe a brand split would actually work now that Raw and SD are both on USA. Even doing it in a quiet way, where the US title is the top title for the SD "brand."

Is he really that terrible, though? He shined in the Rumble match and in the opener. I criticized him for looking lazy, but as a promo, he's fun and has a crazy intensity to him. He also turns it on for certain matches. What I'm most confused about with Ambrose is that they style he wrestled while in the Shield, even as a singles guy, worked better than what he's doing now. That, and the Lunatic Lariat works better in smaller doses instead of every week.

I thought Owens was great and Ambrose was really bad in the opener. Like, really bad. And I don't remember him doing anything interesting in the Rumble itself.

I like that Ambrose fights like Ralphie from A Christmas Story. I can't explain it, but it just tickles me. So him squaring off against HHH like that, and biting him, stuck out to me. Come to think of it, he bit Owens early on in their match too. 

The nit-picking over Ambrose's offense is funny to me considering how white hot the crowd is for just about everything he does. 

When those things are dudes getting hit with weapons or taking huge bumps through tables, yes. In random long Raw matches that go nowhere, no.

You know, if Stan Hansen goes into the HOF this year maybe he could symbolically pass on the Lariat to Brock. Brock always had a great Stienerline-esq closethline. I'm sure one of Brock's hunting rifle sponsors would sponsor the Brock Lesnar lariat.

"Good news WWE locker room...Suplex City is no more...Welcome to the Lariat Range"

That is a genuinely terrible line. It has all the pith of a bus running over one's face.