DVDVR Message Board

ROYAL RUMBLE 2016 POST SHOW

RIPPA

That ending was absolute garbage.  How does Triple H as champion work long-term at all?  So they run Reigns vs. Triple H at WrestleMania?  After they've buried Reigns and failed to get him consistently over at all?  How does that compute?

It's still hard to get over WrestleMania 25 and how Triple H screwed the pooch there and how they completely failed to let Randy Orton take off when he was on the path to becoming huge at the time.

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

Seeing AJ Styles in a WWE ring was awesome but hooboy does he look like a midget now that he's in the land of the giants. Reigns made AJ look like Hornswoggle and Reigns isn't even one of the top 5 biggest (size-wise) guys in the company. When AJ tried hitting Reigns with a Styles Clash I just kept thinking "sir, that's not possible because you're too small/he's too big."

I was actually impressed with his size. I've always considered him the penultimate vanilla midget and he looked not just believable but larger than life out there. I was kind of shocked.
I'm with you. I was surprised that AJ looked fine next to Roman and that Ambrose looked fine next to HHH.

I thought he was good size-wise, but the gear was very jojo. Gonna want to do something with that, it looks very low rent.

I get that the hoodie thing is his deal, but he needed to at least bedazzle that thing some more.

I think I had a bigger issue with the black and blue with kickpads deal. It looked very CAW to me. 

Three straight Rumbles where I walk away unsatisfied. They're actually managing to bury the best gimmick in wrestling.

I do not like WWE.

Playing 2k16 and reflecting on the Rumbles recently has me feeling this way. I had actually FORGOTTEN that Roman won last year.

Some random thoughts on the rumble match itself

Jericho was an odd choice for the "go a really long time and be among the last 6 or so" spot. I think they'd have been better served to do that with Styles, or even somebody like Neville. 

Sad/pissed off that what was probably Mark Henry's last Royal Rumble was a 15 second spot. Would have liked to see a little back and forth with the Wyatts before he got tossed out.

Strowman eliminating Kane/Show so quickly and easily should have been made a bigger deal than it was.

I know this is nitpicking but I've always hated how someone can be eliminated from the match, then come back in and throw someone else out and that counts. Using that logic, Bray should have just chilled at ringside while the Wyatts stayed out there and kept tossing dudes out until he was the winner since it doesn't seem to matter that Brock already eliminated them. 

Goddamn, guys, it's bad enough you're cluttering up this thread with NFL shit, but do you have to quote box it into oblivion, too?

Yes. 

Seriously, sorry I got drawn in. Carolina fans have this psychotic obsession with their team being called the best team of all time. It's compelling. 

Kinda like HHH has a psychotic obsession with being considered the best wrestler of all time! Zing!

OK, seriously, I'm done. No more NFL talk from me. I agree that it should stay in its proper place. 

I wonder if the 'Taker/Kane vs. Wyatts match was it for 'Taker or if he's going to be slotted in for WM. I don't see anyone coming out of this show who would fit into a match with him. 

I know this is nitpicking but I've always hated how someone can be eliminated from the match, then come back in and throw someone else out and that counts. Using that logic, Bray should have just chilled at ringside while the Wyatts stayed out there and kept tossing dudes out until he was the winner since it doesn't seem to matter that Brock already eliminated them.

I don't think it's nitpicking at all. One of the biggest problems with the Rumble was that all the bad guys were cheating their balls off, but there was no internal logic or consistency to the cheating or, seemingly, the rules of the match.

Goddamn, guys, it's bad enough you're cluttering up this thread with NFL shit, but do you have to quote box it into oblivion, too?

Yes. 

Seriously, sorry I got drawn in. Carolina fans have this psychotic obsession with their team being called the best team of all time. It's compelling. 

Kinda like HHH has a psychotic obsession with being considered the best wrestler of all time! Zing!

OK, seriously, I'm done. No more NFL talk from me. I agree that it should stay in its proper place. 

I wonder if the 'Taker/Kane vs. Wyatts match was it for 'Taker or if he's going to be slotted in for WM. I don't see anyone coming out of this show who would fit into a match with him. 

I said top 10. I don't think they're better than any of the pre-cap teams. The DeBartolo Niners would roll them. 

I'm a homer, I'm not dumb.

Uhmmm.... Brock should have won. There, on topic.

Am I the only one that thought that Brock wasn't supposed to get eliminated when he did?

Well having those 3 guys gang up on him would probably be the only way to get Brock out of the match against his will short of pulling a shotgun on him (although I'm pretty sure Brock would just pull a Bugs Bunny and tie the shotgun barrel in a knot)

• Like 2

My hope is that Trips ignores Roman entirely and focuses on ghe one guy he faced as the last man in the Rumble - Ambrose. What better way to piss Reigns off than to give title shots to the last man who stood against him, especially using the crowd response as a barometer of Ambrose being the possible Champion?

If anything, if their intention is to somehow continue to make Roman lead babyface, the smartest thing they can do is move Dean as far away from that angle as possible, because they're not going to like the answer they get from the fans. It would be the Bryan Effect all over again.

This was a weird Rumble. The action was fantastic. The finish, It wasn't the best one they could do (Owens winning by eliminating Brock last) and wasn't the worst (Roman retaining). It was, eh, fine.

I've always wanted to see Brock vs. The Wyatt Family, but sadly, the Wyatts aren't what they used to be. I'm sure the match will still be good though.

Obviously, Ambrose should have won, but there was no way they'd go that route.

One issue is, they made me excited to see 3 matches at Wrestlemania that aren't happening:

Styles vs. Reigns

HHH vs. Ambrose

HHH vs. Wyatt

I thought It was cool to see AJ debut in the Rumble. Take that TNA! Zayn eliminating Owens is setting the seeds for their Mania match. I agree with however said it's gonna be Bray vs Brock at Mania. Total bullshit that Triple H wn though.How wants to see him as Champion? They should have had Ambrose win, Or keep Reigns in the whole time and have him retain and make him look like a beast but why do that Triple H needs to pad his own stats.

AJ's debut was awesome, but you can already tell he's going to get slotted into the midcard morass in short order. I think he ate everybody in the match's offense and hit virtually none of his own high-end signature stuff. He was in there a while, but it almost seemed begrudgingly so, like "HHH spent a lot of money on this sawed-off hick, so I guess we gotta keep him in there a while. Just make sure it's not the longest while."

• Like 1

So what baby faces are there that are 30ish and Vince would let him run as Babyface champ?

I mean right now the Babyface pecking order is Reigns, Ambrose, Ryback, Kalisto, Neville. Yeah booking is a problem but so is the WWE roster. There's not much talent down in NXT who fit Vince's idea of what a top guy should look like and is charismatic. As much as some of us love Balor, Sayn, Crews could you honestly see Vince running with those guys as WWE champ?

By the way you're all wrong about the Mania main event it's gonna be HHH defending against The Rock