DVDVR Message Board

ROYAL RUMBLE 2016 POST SHOW

RIPPA

You people are fucking miserable. The Rumble was fun.

Agree 100% I loved it, as did the people I watched it with. Reaction so far seems to be very positive....except on here.

By the way, I checked Meltzer's site to get their overall take on the show. Do they even use autocorrect or spell-check over there?

I liked the show just fine. Out of 15 things they got 13-14 of them on fleek and the most important thing of them all, they flubbed.

This show  for the most part was very enjoyable but it's difficult to separate what happened at the end from what it's leading to at WrestleMania.  Maybe Fast Lane changes some things but if you're telling me Reigns vs. HHH and Bray vs. Lesnar are the two big matches..  

Who wants that out of Wrestle freaking Mania??

Come on.

The League of Nations beatdown of Reigns and the finish of the Rumble were the only negative spots in the entire match. Hell, maybe the entire show. I didn't really pay attention to ADR/Kalisto and Becky/Charlotte since I was making dinner, though. Compared to the past few years of Rumble matches, this is one where I would definitely re-watch it. Was anyone else interested more in the tease of Bray and Triple H feuding than the Bray and Lesnar stuff? Or am I the only one around here that still cares about the Wyatt Family (aside from beating the dead horse about Strowman's name)?

I love how the pre-show match was utterly pointless, since Swagger and Henry both got eliminated in seconds.

Fell asleep at the end of the Rumble and missed Reigns' elimination live, so hard to rewind. Was bored with almost the whole show except the opener. Granted, I haven't watched a minute of Raw since SummerSlam-ish, so I'm sure that didn't help. But yeah, I usually watch more this time of year since there's no more Monday Night Football but I have pretty much no interest in watching this year.

Seeing AJ Styles in a WWE ring was awesome but hooboy does he look like a midget now that he's in the land of the giants. Reigns made AJ look like Hornswoggle and Reigns isn't even one of the top 5 biggest (size-wise) guys in the company. When AJ tried hitting Reigns with a Styles Clash I just kept thinking "sir, that's not possible because you're too small/he's too big."

Overall a really good show.

I'm fine with Triple H winning. It's not inspired, but at least it makes sense.

But I also really dislike Ambrose, so...

Wyatt/Lesnar should be at least decent, Triple H/Roman Reigns could be really good. Owens vs Sami in NXT and then maybe against Styles at Mania sounds great.

New.. Day rocks.

What was the point of having Henry and Swagger earn their spots and then get a combined 45 seconds or so of ring time, though?

Ambrose/Owens was great. New Day/Usos was solid. Charlotte/Becky was good but a slight step down from their last title match, especially with the weaker finish. I did love the set up for Sasha vs. Charlotte. US Title match was good stuff. I only wish that it was a successful defense for Kalisto instead of winning it back after losing so quickly.

I'm sort of mixed on the Rumble. I like a lot of what they set up for various feuds and some of the eliminations were damn fun. Also thought some of them sucked like poor Swagger & Henry. And then you have Kofi being eliminated off camera which was just dumb. Jericho also made for a boring iron man. Mostly though they completely fucked over Reigns by having him come back so damn late. Why are they so damn inept at building the man? HHH winning was the most boring outcome (was hoping for Bray personally), but at least the Rumble on the whole was  massive step up from last year's show.

This show  for the most part was very enjoyable but it's difficult to separate what happened at the end from what it's leading to at WrestleMania.  Maybe Fast Lane changes some things but if you're telling me Reigns vs. HHH and Bray vs. Lesnar are the two big matches..  

Who wants that out of Wrestle freaking Mania??

I'm perfectly fine with Bray vs. Brock. I just wish Bray had a chance in hell of winning. I'd be ok with Roman vs. HHH if it wasn't for the belt.

One other positive for the company - they got through a Rumble without Daniel Bryan chants

Who says there's no upside to the death of hope?

That's what got me through the show.  When you're numb to most of the product, nothing hurts any more.

Ambrose-Owens was a tough act to follow, I'll say that.

Was legit rooting for Becky, but she'll be fine.

I'm really shocked at all the "They were THIS CLOSE WITH AMBROSE!"

No. No they were not at all. It was 100% obvious who was winning this the moment Brock was eliminated. I mean, come the fuck on. You really ran with that?

But it was a great show! Best Rumble in years until the Wyatts eliminated everyone and it was clear no fogeys were coming out.

I was more intrigued at the idea of Bray feuding with Triple H, if things went differently in the match, than the more likely Bray versus Brock. I so desperately want a Wyatts versus Authority angle, because I'm a 90s kid and I want Bray to be Ministry Taker :P

Owens was also king sized in the opener. Taking absurd bumps, leading into Ambrose's shitty offense to make it look decent, "I hate you!" And "Your caused this" *SLAP*

He's MVP of the night for me.

Owens' inner hatred of people is like the second most over person on the roster.

Him tossing AJ was really smart. They knew the crowd loved Styles. They knew him getting tossed would get booed heavily. They had a guy that the crowd also loves but is an absolute heat magnet do it, who could absorb the boos and not let it subsume the Rumble itself.

Christ Owens is great.

Owens was booked incredibly well tonight for a guy who lost twice.  He lost a LMS due to something he himself caused, and then got cocky with Sami and lost then too.  And he was THE guy to toss AJ.  I'm not one to focus on the positives but I got fucking goosebumps on Sasha stepping up, AJ debuting and not getting eliminated immediately, and Sami and Owens fighting.  That's literally three more than I get than 99 percent of anything else in WWE these days.

• Like 1

Michael Cole matter of factly telling Miz to "just go in there and take your suplex" when Brock was standing tall in the match was a pretty amusing little exchange.

I have no desire to see Brock vs. any combination of Wyatts at Mania.  I'd rather see Brock/Taker over that for the nth time if Lesnar isn't going to be in the title picture.

Michael Cole matter of factly telling Miz to "just go in there and take your suplex" when Brock was standing tall in the match was a pretty amusing little exchange.

I have no desire to see Brock vs. any combination of Wyatts at Mania.  I'd rather see Brock/Taker over that for the nth time if Lesnar isn't going to be in the title picture.

You know Miz is still a great character and listening to the announcers troll him was genuinely funny.  And then he's in the ring and fuck just go away.

Yeah, there was way too much interference and stuff. If the Miz is going to wait outside, why even have numbers? He should have to get in before the next entrant comes out or be eliminated. Guys had roving gangs running around out there. Why didn't the LoN just hang around and help Sheamus or the other Wyatts hang out after beating Brock and help Bray?

And whoever said that Brock looked ineffectual after being tossed by three eliminated guys and doing nothing at all was also right. 

I was more intrigued at the idea of Bray feuding with Triple H, if things went differently in the match, than the more likely Bray versus Brock. I so desperately want a Wyatts versus Authority angle, because I'm a 90s kid and I want Bray to be Ministry Taker :P

Pleasepleasepleaseplease have Bray kidnap Stephanie

• Like 2