DVDVR Message Board

ROYAL RUMBLE 2016 POST SHOW

RIPPA

Also, main three matches at Mania currently stand as Trips/Reigns, Wyatt/Lesnar, and Ambrose/Jericho.

In related news, fuuuuuuck that noise.

So that same Bray Wyatt promo with no Brock around over and over for months and then Bray jobs to him clean.  Sounds about the same.

• Like 1

Having Ambrose winning and then turning the next night on RAW to set-up him an Ambrose for Mania would've been the smarter move. I can't complain though. It wasn't a bad Rumble overall and it set-up plenty of stuff for Mania

James.

They were SO FUCKING CLOSE to doing something interesting. I thought they might actually do it, then you can run Ambrose/Reigns at 'Mania, which could have been really fucking interesting.

Ah well, even as a HHH fan I'm like whatever about it.

• Like 1

Loved it. Only match that was a mess was Kalisto/ADR, but Kalisto winning was a feel good moment. Best WWE show since Wrestlemania, for sure. 

Trips winning was predictable, but that crowd ate it up. In fact, they were hot for almost everything. 

I didn't hit the match rooting for Triple H, but I damn sure was when it came down to him and Ambrose.

Nobody has fallen off more/been more exposed over the last year than Ambrose.

Owens was great. "Welcome to WWE" right before dumping AJ, the shocked look at Sami's music, selling the opening match but still being an asskicker...

Brock going out sets up a match, but it killed that crowd dead.

Triple H ta decent pop on his entrance, but nothing compared to Styles.

• Like 2

And again the faces hate each other

Maybe if Reigns had stopped sulking for 5 seconds - he pulls Hunter off the ring apron and his "best bud" is now World Champ

• Like 8

If they ever let Ambrose eventually win that thing, the folks attending are going to break a few decibel levels. 

They blew it again. They have Fastlane. Have Ambrose win and then run HHH/Ambrose at Fastlane. HHH can be the Drago to Ambrose's Apollo Creed. He can hit Ambrose in the head with the sledgehammer and tell a horrified Stephanie at ringside, "If he dies, he dies." Then Roman can be Rocky except with about one-one billionth of Sly Stallone's natural charisma. 

But noooooo, two months of HHH as WWE Champ yet again. I saw enough of this shit in 2003, frankly. 

• Like 1

I largely enjoyed the show. I do think it's lousy booking if you want Roman to get sympathy. Brock got screwed 10x worse than Roman did in the Rumble so HHH simply tossing him out like a goof was hardly some big screwjob.

The response to AJ Styles was phenomenal and he looked great. WWE's been handed arguably the best wrestler in the world who is over with their crowd and has a ton of fresh opponents. Let's see how they handle it...

Honestly, I'm not nearly as bothered as most of you guys seem to be, but the one thing that bothered me was how calmly Brock left. He should've at least F-5'ed Wyatt, or thrown stairs at him or something. He just sadly walked away.

• Like 5

The crowd did 'ooooh' for the Wyatt/HHH staredown... But now that's just another port they've passed on the way to his ship having sailed. Better to feed the Wyatt Family to Brock Lesnar so he can fuck off for a few months, then come back and suplex the rest of the roster into irrelevance again.

If you take HHH, Lesnar, and Reigns out, this would have been a very intriguing Rumble. And say what you will about Jericho, but he did get one of the biggest pops of the match when he came out.

They're never actually going to let AJ do the Styles Clash in WWE, are they? Except against like Neville.

I am perfectly fine with them not letting him do the Styles Clash

• Like 10

If Dean had won, then Roman is a heel and maybe interesting again and they could maybe start to build him up organically.  But they will not give up on this.  It's like almost two years now?  Has there been a time when the "top face" was getting booed for two straight years and they didn't give up?

With Owens/Ambrose going on first, it gave me hope one or both guys would be back for the Rumble.  The match started going in the direction of the average WWE garbage match, but they kept things from getting over the top stupid and it was a solid match overall.

New Day/Usos was also solid, but has been done to death.  They really need to get some new team in there as they've gotten all their going to get out of that feud.

Kaliso/Del Rio keep the string of good undercard matches going.  Nothing special but perfectly good for what it was.

Charlotte/Becky was a decent match with an absolutely shit finish.  Sasha coming out saved it, but poor Becky looked like an afterthought when it was over.

Ever since they had announced Roman would be coming in as number one, myself and probably most of the rest of you were dreading them doing some spot where he gets dragged out of the ring, beaten down, then miraculously comes back in the last few minutes.  Then there were the dire predictions of HHH inserting himself in and winning.  Of course this being the WWE they had to do both of those things.  

It's a shame because the Rumble match itself was really good for the most part.  Great debut by AJ Styles setting up a possible program with Owens, or re-igniting Owens vs Sami, The Wyatts looking strong with some good spots between them and Brock, and lots of other entertaining stuff throughout.  Ending it with a completely awful finish setting up a HHH/Roman main event that will get shit on completely took the wind out of things.

Man, I guess I'm going to be Gregg because aside from the last twenty minutes, that was one of the best WWE shows I've seen in years.  We KNEW HHH was winning.  It was a total forgone conclusion.  I loved the rest of the show.

Or maybe I'm not so angry because I was starting to regret not buying WrestleMania tickets, and now that it's over, I don't regret it at all.  I'd be pissed if I'd spent hundreds of dollars for a HHH/Reigns main event.

• Like 1