DVDVR Message Board

WWE Main Event / Superstars 2016 Thread

Charlie M.

I also like Swagger, but feel that he needs a rework. I don't think I've heard him utter a word in the last 2 years. He also needs to get away from The Patriot Lock because he just comes across as a poor man's Angle clone in doing so. 

With his amateur background I've always expected him to be more like Gable, but with power and size.

• Like 2

Main Event 8/16 #203

Baron Corbin vs. Rhyno. Corbin continues to add some more personality into his work. They worked a competitive match and even though it wasn’t the best, it’s the type of match Corbin needs to have. Finish seemed out of nowhere with Corbin just hitting the End of Days and winning in 13 minutes. B-

Superstars 8/19 #384

Sin Cara vs. Curtis Axel. Mundane match. Sin Cara has some new music. I don’t know how well he’s going to fit in with the Cruiserweight Division because he’s actually quite slow. He won in about 5 minutes. C

Jack Swagger vs. Bo Dallas. They did a fun little bit where Bo did the Bo Train once successfully then tried it again a few minutes later and got clotheslined by Swagger. Bo actually showed decent intensity when he got serious on offense. Turned into a pretty good match that Swagger won with the Patriot Lock in 8 minutes. B

Main Event 8/23 #204

Rowan vs Rhyno. ECW chants for Rhyno. Two big dudes beating each other up for a couple minutes. Rowan busted out his dropkick and won with the full nelson slam in 4 minutes. C+

Vaudevillains vs. Hype Bros. I liked Mojo cutting off Simon Gotch and hitting the football tackle. Zack played face-in-peril very briefly before the big intense Mojo hot tag. Gotch cut off the Hype Ryder. Big top rope frankensteiner by Ryder! Hype Ryder finishes it in 5 minutes. C+. Mostly a showcase for Mojo.

Superstars 8/26 #385

Jack Swagger vs. Jinder Mahal. Poor showing from Jinder on offense. Swagger on with the Patriot Lock in 4 minutes. C

Golden Truth vs. Curtis Axel & Bo Dallas. A bunch of comedy throughout this one. Not much stood out in this one except Golden Truth using a combo power bomb/elbow drop move as a finish. C+

• Like 2

There's fun matches on both shows this week but i don't know if I like that both these B or c shows depends on how you view smackDown show exclusively Raw recaps I mean shit happens of SmackDown too. I wouldn't mind if Main event was the SmackDown B Show with Raw highlights and Superstars the Raw B Show with SmackDown highlights. That's how I would do it anyway.

The big standouts onn these shows were Rusev still selling his ribs and surprisingly good solo effort from Aiden English!

Main Event 8/30 #205

Jey Uso vs. Konnor. Really basic stuff here. Jey won with a splash in 4 minutes. C

American Alpha vs. Breezango. There were a few rough spots as Alpha gets used to working with new guys. Breezango had a neat double team move. Alpha won with the Grand Amplitude in 9 minutes. B-

Superstars 9/2 #386

Golden Truth vs. Shining Stars. Primo is the most underrated wrestler in the world in 2016. I love that Goldust can still hit that snap powerslam so well. Stars got the win with a rollup in 5 minutes. C+

Rusev vs. Jack Swagger. Rusev was still selling his ribs so he came out swinging but Swagger quickly went to those ribs to counter. The damaged ribs came into play a few times during the match. I liked the sequence where Rusev made Swagger fight his way back into the ring. They had a nice finishing sequence with multiple submission escapes and counters before Rusev finally got the win with the Accolade in 8 minutes. B+. These two are incapable of having a bad match.

Main Event 9/6 #206

Dolph Ziggler vs. Aiden English. This is the type of oddball match I want to see on the C-shows. This over delivered and I wound up really impressed with English. He showed some personality, all his stuff looked good and he carried himself well. The crowd was really into Dolph and the match. Fun little finish where Aiden catches the Superkick, is very proud of himself but Dolph hits one with the opposite leg for the win in 6 minutes. B

Jack Swagger vs. Jinder Mahal. Again?! It was almost a squash for Swagger. C

Superstars 9/9 #387

Neville vs. Curtis Axel. Very quick typical match from these two. Neville won with the Red Arrow. C

Jack Swagger vs. Titus O’Neil. Nice transition with Titus feigning a back injury to sucker Swagger in and mocking his taunt. His trash talking on offense was good but he needs to be more physical instead of just sitting in various arm locks. Titus won with the Clash of the Titus in 10 minutes. C+

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Main Event 9/13 #207

Fandango vs. Kane. Breezango have some great new shirts. They insult the crowd a little bit then Kane comes out and squashes Fandango.

Jason Jordan vs. Aiden English. Tag partners in their corners. English worked the arm. Jordan made his comeback and won with an AlphaPlex in 4 minutes. C+. Too short to really be anything worthwhile.

Superstars 9/16 #388

Braun Strowman vs. Sin Cara. Extended squash with a few hope spots for Sin Cara.

Darren Young & Neville vs. Titus O’Neil & Curtis Axel. Neville casually busts out the standing shooting star press. Titus is so much better in a tag team setting. So is Young. Maybe they should team them up! Finishing stretch was fun. DY beat Axel with the Gut Check in 9 minutes. B-. Best part might have been Bob Backlund grabbing Neville after the match and lifting him up in the air.

Main Event 9/20 #208

Lince Dorado vs. Rich Swann. Rich is going to have no trouble getting over in WWE. He’s a “big” performer and that translates very well in this setting. This was mostly good with some slight hiccups at times. Swann won with a big kick and roll up in 11 minutes. A-

Heath Slater & Rhyno vs. Breezango. The shirts are back! Slater is so damn over and he’s a surprisingly good babyface worker. Rhyno is also super over. Breeze opening up the ropes so Slater could fall through them is one of those spots that only works because wrestling dictates you must bounce off the ropes when thrown into them. I like that Slater hits his jumping reverse neckbreaker almost like an RKO. Rhyno wins with the Gore in 10 minutes. They should let them do this match on Smackdown. B+

Superstars 9/23 #389

Darren Young vs. Curtis Axel. By the numbers match. I spent most of it imagining what a Bob Backlund vs Curt Hennig match would have looked like. Hennig would have taken a massive bump off the atomic drop where he flipped over the ropes onto the floor and into the guardrail. DY won with the Gut Check in 5 minutes. C+

Golden Truth vs. Titus O’Neil & Jinder Mahal. Can Jinder follow up on his big win over Jack Swagger?! Goldust’s face paint is so basic right now. I can’t blame him. Imagine having to paint your face for this? Goldust pinned Jinder with the Final Cut in 7 minutes. C

• Like 2

Fun Main Event this week with a good Breeze vs Crews match that would have been great if Apollo had done more than sell between spots. Some slugging and a roll-up would have put this in A grade territory.

Kane vs Corbin wasn't all that to be honest, but Kane is probably the right guy for Corbin to be feuding with, and they're better off having, heaven forfend, an actual main-event on Main Event rather than stinking up the main show.

Now that Main Event is firmly a Smackdown roster show (albeit with Raw recaps, which is weird), it looks like it might become a little more like Main Event was. Which is kinda cool.

Superstars sucked.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Cruiserweight Six Man on Superstars this week was pretty good. I'd use these more on RAW to help establish who the faces and heels are in the division. It also gives everyone a couple minutes each to show off their best stuff.

Main Event had a short Alpha vs Vaudes match that was your typical fun little AA formula match. Hawkins vs Crews was okay.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...