DVDVR Message Board

SNOWMAGEDDON 2016

J.T.

I already got the call that Mason is closed tomorrow. Schools should be following shortly.

Considering I have multiple plows stuck on the street outside my building- I will be shocked if we are dug out before Wednesday

Even if we do go to work tomorrow, i presume most of day will be digging out vehicles and such.

My left rear door handle got brocken off when the tractor got too close to it.

Oddly, because of wind patterns, half of car had no snow on it. But the other side was totally buried.

I don't know how much snow I got, I just know that there hasn't been anything resembling a plow on my street.  Most of my neighbors haven't even tried to clear their sidewalks, I honestly don't know when I'll be back at work, I'm just sure it won't be tomorrow.

Neighbors with snow blowers are the best possible neighbors to have. All time snowfall records in Harrisburg,PA. I had 30+ inches out there and only a couple of shovels to deal with it. Had two neighbors help us out. Roads look fairly clear. One doesn't have a ton of opportunities to praise PENNDOT, but they seem to have a done job here. At least withing the area that I can see!

What is the delay with the snow plows? Do you cities not have enough, or is it incompetence?

We're out in the suburbs. But the answer is basically "Don't you think 'and' would be more appropriate than 'or' in your sentence?"

Fair enough. . . 

What also doesn't help in this area all the idiots who thought their tiny piece of shit cars could get around in 3 feet of snow.

So today - everyone is wasting time removing said cars just so they can plow the roads.

Also - another problem in the DC area (at least in North Virginia) - cars park on both sides of the street, thus making the road too narrow for a plow to get thru (this storm was the first time I saw VDOT asking people to park on a specific side of the road so that it would make clean up easier)

What is the delay with the snow plows? Do you cities not have enough, or is it incompetence?

My city(Harrisburg) is a mix of budget, residents not moving their vehicles so that the few plows we have can come through, and an inept mayor.  The plus side is that the major thoroughfares are handled by PENNDOT, so if you can get out of your neighborhood, you're golden.

What also doesn't help in this area all the idiots who thought their tiny piece of shit cars could get around in 3 feet of snow.

So today - everyone is wasting time removing said cars just so they can plow the roads.

Also - another problem in the DC area (at least in North Virginia) - cars park on both sides of the street, thus making the road too narrow for a plow to get thru (this storm was the first time I saw VDOT asking people to park on a specific side of the road so that it would make clean up easier)

People have been trying to drive on our nonplowed street all day, and continuously get stuck.  My neighbor from 2 doors down has been stuck at least five times today, I have no idea why he keeps trying to drive.  I have no idea where he needs to be so urgently, but you can't drive if the snow is higher than the bottom of your car.

The funny this is, I don't think my city even has a plow. So it doesn't take a lot of snow to make things unfortunate. The main roads are all fine by now but my neighborhood is still slushy ice, so driving at night is a really bad idea since its gets slippery.

Course I get off work at 10 PM which means the the last three nights I was sliding around to get to my parking spot. But I am off the next few days which will give it plenty of time to melt.

My office was closed today as well- pretty surprising, as we're in midtown NYC and they seemed to be shoveled out well enough. Amusingly my boss actually made the trip in from Westchester so she could work in peace.

Meanwhile on the homefront, we wound up with 28 (TWENTY EIGHT) inches of snow. That's just insane.

I don't envy you guys getting all that snow. That's a LOT to deal with. 10 years ago when we moved into our house - we literally moved on the one non-snow day in the middle of a long stretch of consecutive days of snow - we had to deal with that kind of stuff. The night before we moved, they plowed our street - and put a 5-foot high and 10-feet wide pile of snow in my driveway entrance. Had to shovel all that out so the movers could get their truck into our driveway and move our stuff. We got EIGHT FEET of snow* over the course of three weeks. It was crazy. Lots of buildings had their roofs collapse. our favorite grocery store actually closed for good because of their roof collapse. Was a great way to meet our neighbors though - we were all outside constantly either shoveling our sidewalks or shoveling off our roofs.

* - the last of the snow fell in early December. We got no more snow the rest of the season.

I was able to go to the store today which was an adventure

The roads are "plowed" but when I say "plowed" I should say one lane the meanders along with no consistency. No turn lanes are clear and every single intersection has 40 foot high snow banks so you can't see and every turn is "Holy Shit - I hope we don't get t-boned"

The rest of my city has been told they won't see a plow until Friday so yeah... I doubt there is going to be school this week.

• 2 weeks later...