DVDVR Message Board

SNOWMAGEDDON 2016

J.T.

My Mom texted me all freaked out this morning

I HEARD ON THE NEWS THAT DC WAS PARALYZED!!! ARE YOU GOING TO WORK???? CAN YOU STAY HOME??? DOES YOUR CAR WORK????

I am shocked she didn't ask if I had clean underwear on.

Yes - I love the fact that at almost 41 years of age, I still get pestered by my mother.

• Like 4

Just know that you will be sleeping on the dog's bed

Fair enough.  You'd be sleeping on the couch in the bottom level at my place.

My Mom texted me all freaked out this morning

I HEARD ON THE NEWS THAT DC WAS PARALYZED!!! ARE YOU GOING TO WORK???? CAN YOU STAY HOME??? DOES YOUR CAR WORK????

I am shocked she didn't ask if I had clean underwear on.

Yes - I love the fact that at almost 41 years of age, I still get pestered by my mother.

My mom is terrified about me going back to Maryland on a day above freezing a full 24 hours before the blizzard and I am an able bodied 47 year old man.

When I tell her that I am worried about two older people in their mid 60's and early 70's and three dogs being snowed in for a weekend, they look at me as if I am insane.

• Like 1

I am hoping here it turns to rain tomorrow night so I can drive home, but I am bringing some stuff to sleep in in case I get stuck at work. In the last 24 hours we went from getting "less than one inch" to "three to five inches" so it may be ten inches by tomorrow at this rate. Newport News, VA is right in that rain/show bubble as we usually are, it is supposed to be in the mid-30s so it can go either way.

Grocery store wasn't horrible, just a little more crowded than usual.  Toilet paper aisle was half empty, bread aisle was ransacked but doable, and the meat section was maybe 3/4 empty.  Who decides to buy up all the meat when it's going to snow?  Shouldn't you be buying canned foods, etc instead of steaks?  WTF people?

I did manage to buy the last green pepper in the store, which is hilarious to me.

The liquor store was fine.  The line was maybe 3 people deep.

to be fair, i've lived in Eastern Iowa my entire life, and when the weatherman predicts a big snowstorm, people still lose their minds. Never in my life have i ever actually been snowed in anywhere. At worst the roads are bad for a day or two but completely travelable.

Our winter has been pretty mild so far this year (*knock on wood*) but usually i just roll my eyes when people start to worry about the snow and ice. Like, really? you don't think the plows will be out salting the roads and clearing snow immediately and you think you might be stuck in your house for a week?

to be fair, i've lived in Eastern Iowa my entire life, and when the weatherman predicts a big snowstorm, people still lose their minds. Never in my life have i ever actually been snowed in anywhere. At worst the roads are bad for a day or two but completely travelable.

Our winter has been pretty mild so far this year (*knock on wood*) but usually i just roll my eyes when people start to worry about the snow and ice. Like, really? you don't think the plows will be out salting the roads and clearing snow immediately and you think you might be stuck in your house for a week?

It doesn't help when the governors of two states and the mayor of the Capital of the entire country declare a state of emergency.  Then the head of Homeland Security goes on television and tells everyone that they probably won't see a plow until Sunday.  Or that on Tuesday, there was less than an inch of snow and it took some people 6-10 hours to drive from their jobs to their homes.  This shit is not going to be pretty, I'd be surprised if I'm back at work before Wednesday.

Good morning everyone!  I run an animal shelter as a job.  I thankfully live next door on the property so I will be able to get to the doggies (they probably want to eat even if it snows) no problem.  But 22 doggies are going to be so confused when they get outside this morning and they dissapear into the drifts!

• Like 1

Right now the only purpose of my shovel is to use it as a walking stick.  I am not even sure a snow blower (which I don't have  :( ) would be the best tool.   Of course living in an apartment for every 10 inches in the front of my car there is probably 30 in the back for the geniuses that think clearly a 3 foot path in the road would actually help

So... three feet of snow but it looks like it has finally stopped this morning.  Normally my shelter is based around taking the dogs outside but this will be taller than a lot of them and I don't want to be out there any more than they do.  In door fun today!