DVDVR Message Board

SNOWMAGEDDON 2016

J.T.

So, yeah.  Big storm this weekend.  Get your Toilet Paper, Bread, and Milk before the stores run out.

I have Dungeon Siege 3 and Deus Ex: HR on my digital pile of shame and the Divisional games are this weekend, so I have the entertainment base covered.  I will take a sick day or something on Friday so I can head back to MD from VA on Thursday evening. 

I'm planning on working from home on Friday, or at least the back half of Friday. We have a big spiral ham I picked up over the weekend and we're going to do Xmas Mark II.

I'm going to buy a billion cans of Brunswick Stew and I think we're also going to get some ingredients to make gallons of spaghetti. 

Comfort food and hot meals so we're doing oatmeal and Cream of Wheat instead of dry cereal for breakfast.  Here's hoping that the power doesn't go out and that we only get the lower end of the snow total.  I can't deal with a foot of fucking snow.

• Like 1

It's a lock I will be home on Friday and I am fairly positives the schools will also be closed on Monday (since they won't have cleared the secondary roads in time for the school buses)

It will give me the perfect opportunity to write but we truly know this will actually turn into me having a heart attack shoveling.

Will people originally from cold places like Chicago be banned for laughing at everyone struggling to cope with the existential terror that is fluffy ice crystals on the ground?

Also, will people who now live in warm places like California be banned for posting things like "Winter storm? I'm sure I've got an umbrella somewhere..."

Asking for a friend.

• Like 5

My problem wasn't so much with the snow(we MAYBE got a few inches) as with my car.  My check-engine light decided to make an encore appearance last night and my car struggled to work up even the slightest speed.  Not fun when you live on a hill.  Taking it to the shop after work.

It's a lock I will be home on Friday and I am fairly positives the schools will also be closed on Monday (since they won't have cleared the secondary roads in time for the school buses)

It will give me the perfect opportunity to write but we truly know this will actually turn into me having a heart attack shoveling.

Oh, I am sure the mild head cold I have right now will morph into a lung infection by the time I am done clearing my driveway.

And I am kidding myself if I think I am going to get any serious game time this weekend.   Most likely I will be sitting on the couch with my girlfriend sipping tea or Hot Cocoa and watching Wendy or Y&R and doing my best not to claw my eyes out of the sockets.  Our ideas of quality time differ dramatically.

Will people originally from cold places like Chicago be banned for laughing at everyone struggling to cope with the existential terror that is fluffy ice crystals on the ground?

Also, will people who now live in warm places like California be banned for posting things like "Winter storm? I'm sure I've got an umbrella somewhere..."

Asking for a friend.

I think part of it must be the lack of availability of snow plows and the like. That and driving on snowy/icy roads is an art form that is hard to do unless you have a lot of practice. Because us folks from the rockies share your point of view a bit. . . .

There is already one freaking inch of snow in the DC area and people losing their damn minds.  Reports of traffic taking 3 to 4 times longer than usual.   It is amazing to me that a section in the east becomes so damn paralyzed.   

I mean if tonight is an indicator, it is going to be like Jonestown in this area when a foot hits.

Still never understood why people immediately go for the toilet paper.  I mean seriously if you are worried that 2 or 3 rolls isn't going to make it for a weekend, you need to see a doctor immediately or stop eating such awful food.

• Like 1

There is already one freaking inch of snow in the DC area and people losing their damn minds.  Reports of traffic taking 3 to 4 times longer than usual.   It is amazing to me that a section in the east becomes so damn paralyzed.   

To be fair - last night was one of those "eh... it is just some flurries. Good thing we didn't waste time pre-treating the roads." and then everything turned into sheets of black ice. So it doesn't really matter if you "know how to drive" if you car can't climb a hill.

I know VA police reported something like 300 crashes across the area - and that was when I went to bed.

I know some folks are tweeting that they STILL aren't home

Well that is another story

Of course - I am slightly amused because normally we are the county that is closed when everyone is open.

Today we are on time and everyone else is closed/delayed

Now my commute into work is another matter

I had a hilarious discussion with the family about what we are going to do if the power goes out.  Angie introduced the concept of the mattress teepee that she heard about from some post 9/11 survivalists.  We laughed.  We will be constructing it by Tuesday, I'm guessing.

Still never understood why people immediately go for the toilet paper.  I mean seriously if you are worried that 2 or 3 rolls isn't going to make it for a weekend, you need to see a doctor immediately or stop eating such awful food.

I understand why people go immediately for the toilet paper.  Toilet paper is one of the few things you can't have too much of, but you damn sure can have too little.  Once you run out of toilet paper, there aren't any good options.

If going to the grocery store was bad last night, id hate to go today.

I picked up stuff at the library and the librarian said "this is due saturday but dont worry if you cant get hwre to return it. You have until we open monday."

• Like 1

I had a hilarious discussion with the family about what we are going to do if the power goes out.  Angie introduced the concept of the mattress teepee that she heard about from some post 9/11 survivalists.  We laughed.  We will be constructing it by Tuesday, I'm guessing.

We have pets, both of us work for DoD, and there is an extended stay on post at Ft. Meade so we will be slumming it on base if the power goes out. 

Hopefully not much chance of that since most of the grid in our section of Severn county is underground.

If going to the grocery store was bad last night, id hate to go today.

I picked up stuff at the library and the librarian said "this is due saturday but dont worry if you cant get hwre to return it. You have until we open monday."

My task is to get four cans of Brunswick stew, cat litter, and hot cereal here in VA and then brave I-95 traffic on my way to Maryland around 2PM. 

I expect not to fail since the list is not huge and temps and direct sunlight should clear up some of the ice on the roads, but you never can tell.  We will see what kind of humanitarian Rippa is when I show up at his doorstep at eight in the evening.  He will probably let me in since I will have Brunswick stew on me.

• Like 2