DVDVR Message Board

RIP Iron Mike Sharpe

DEAN

As someone who grew up on WWF in the 80's on, Iron Mike was a fixtures on shows in the area.  He had the gimmick with the loaded armbrace (somehow WWE ran a picture of him without it on) and you always knew when Mike was wrestling because of just how loud he was .  From his arms up bellow after introductions to his "NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!" when the babyfaces had him on the ropes and he was begging off that they not low blow him.   Gorilla would often wax about the time Mike got locked in the Boston Garden because he was taking so long in the shower and nobody noticed he was still there (apparently, he didn't sing the at the same volume he yelled in the ring).

Via con dios Canada's Greatest Athlete... you're clubbing the angels with your loaded forearm brace in Heaven.

• Like 5

I can't believe this would have made him only mid 30's back in 85. He seemed so much older back then. So is there any footage of the leather brace with what was in it? My father said when I was a kid it was silver dollars. I miss gimmicks like that.

In the mid '80's, the WWF fans would call Iron Mike Sharpe "Wimp".  The only sign I've ever brought to a wrestling show had the words "WIMP" written on it in all capital letters.  Iron Mike Sharpe pointed at me and mumbled something guttural when he spotted it.  It was triumphant.  I loved that guy.  

• Like 2

IMS was on TNT (9/18/84) and passed the apparently unloaded brace around and spoke in a carefully modulated indoor voice. He was a good worker and excellent talent enhancer and over as heck in the Northeast. I remember seeing him get a teeny tiny push on Georgia TV in early '85, around the same time Barry Horowitz showed up in Florida as Jack Hart, I believe. I remember Mr. Sharpe took then IC Champ Tito Santana to the limit in a '82 main event in Staten Island in a fun match.

- RAF

Looking through YT last night and came across a Sharpe-Ultimate Warrior match from the Spectrum that aired on PRISM.  For whatever reason, the introductions to the match was delayed three-four minutes (the announcers spent this time talking about how nice the wrestlers were backstage, with one complimenting Sharpe).  During the delay, Sharpe walks around the ring, raising his arms in disgust, yelling to fans who are heckling him, etc.  By the time Sharpe is formally introduced, he is loudly booed by the crowd.  And the boos got only louder when Sharpe ordered the announcer to tell the fans he was Canada's Greatest Athlete. 

Even though he was a JTTS, Sharpe seemed to understand a lost art of modern-day heeling -- making the fans hate you just by doing the basics.  By the time Warrior came out, the fans were on their feet, wanting to see him pummel the Canadian because of his bravado. 

Three other favorite Sharpe moments ...

-- There was an MSG match with Sivi Afi in 1986 around the time the WWF was trying to get fans to believe Afi was the new Jimmy Snuka.  Afi delivers a dropkick to Sharpe, who tumbles out of the ring, then proceeds to walk backward and tumble over the barricade!  I always respected the fact that Sharpe, despite his size, was willing to do whatever it took to get his opponent over.

-- Every once in a while on one of the weekend shows, Sharpe would see a fan in the front holding a "Canada's Greatest Athlete" sign.  Sharpe would ask for the sign, then show it off with a big smug on his face as he was being introduced.

-- I forget the year, but IMS worked a match against Barry Horowitz in Boston that was televised.  Sharpe wins the match and gets a nice ovation from the crowd.  As they show the replay of the finish, you can clearly hear Sharpe on the mic, saying "thank you" to the fans, who give him an even louder ovation.  Not sure why he did that, but I always thought of it as a sign that, despite being the proverbial whipping boy week after week, month after month, the fans respected Sharpe, and Iron Mike responded in kind.

• Like 1

-- I forget the year, but IMS worked a match against Barry Horowitz in Boston that was televised.  Sharpe wins the match and gets a nice ovation from the crowd.  As they show the replay of the finish, you can clearly hear Sharpe on the mic, saying "thank you" to the fans, who give him an even louder ovation.  Not sure why he did that, but I always thought of it as a sign that, despite being the proverbial whipping boy week after week, month after month, the fans respected Sharpe, and Iron Mike responded in kind.

I remember that match, yeah. I think it was heel vs heel and the fans cheered Sharpe... a very cool moment. 

My favorite Sharpe moment was the MSG show where he went into business for himself with Howard Finkel.

Fink: "Introducing first, from Hamilton Ontario Canada-" *Sharpe grabs mic*

Sharpe: "CANADA'S GREATEST ATHLETE, IRON MIKE SHARPE!!!" *gleefully hands mic back*

Fink (visibly perturbed but not missing a beat): "Say no more!"

I miss the Fink.

• Like 1

Sad to hear of his passing, glad to see others with fun memories of him. I have one memory that sticks out. He worked an Indy at a local fair in 1990. I forget who he was wrestling but he was the heel and I, in the front row, was probably the only person rooting for him. He was getting the crowd riled up. I forget exactly what I said but I shouted something in favor of him and he yelled back, "yeah, listen to this kid!"

• Like 1

Velvet McIntyre shared some funny stories of him on Facebook the other day...

my first little story is about toilet paper......we were at an arena and I had to go...and I was having a fit because there was no TP.....yes, I was almost in tears......I was on in like 15minutes and there was NO toilet paper.....I am in an uproar......and Mike says...."Velvet, dont worry....I have toilet paper"....and he opened his samsonite and there was 6 glorious rolls of asswipe all neatly placed......I was so fuckin happy

• Like 3