DVDVR Message Board

RIP Glenn Frey

Dolfan in NYC

My father in law really loved The Eagles and my wife told me before about how they would listen to it together.  Ever since he passed when an Eagles song comes on it'd remind her of him.  So when she found out it definitely hit her hard.  I'm not a fan of the band but it was hard not to feel sad when she found out.

The most offensive line for me was :

And hating the Eagles defines whether a music fan is a fan of music or just a bandwagon-jumper.

Excuse me, but who in the holy fuck are you to invalidate anyone else's music tastes? And whether someone likes, dislikes or hates the music of the Eagles (and I will be open in that I really did not care for their music for most of my life before becoming a huge fan in the past couple of years), is now the fucking time to print this and crap all over their fans who are in mourning?

I think that article perfectly surmises the beef that existed between the Eagles and east-coast critics for the entirety of the band's first run. The Eagles sang about things they liked, and they got murdered by the press for it. Their music is music that perfectly illustrates the difference in lifestyles on the 2 coasts. I'm a huge Eagles fan, but took Felder's  side in that beef a few years back. I hate that he and Frey never got a chance to mend fences. Their music will always have a special place in my heart. RIP Glenn...

I don't understand passionately hating the Eagles like that.

I also don't understand passionately loving them.

Really, I don't understand having strong opinions on them period. They just don't seem like they should ever elicit much of a response beyond "oh, hey, yeah, The Eagles. Cool I guess." and then mumbling along.

The strange thing is that Walsh, Frey, and Henley all have some really great solo material.

• Like 1

That fucking article.  HURRRRRRR there's a line in an overrated cult movie about how bad the Eagles are so my point is proven!  Oh fuck you man.

Most of us get past the "hate things that other people like just to be contrarian" phase somewhere in our teens, maybe early 20s.  The rest become music critics.